Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2015, 04:16 AM   #1
hVFD4

Rear awing for back patio

Just pick up our new 2015 Fusion 371. Like the unit a lot so far. When we got home with it we set it up and found one problem. Extended the back awing out, retracted it a little later, the extended it out again. Now it will not come back. We I use the switch I can hear a sound like the motor is trying to engage but the awing will not come back. Not sure if the is a lock on this awing or any Ideas why this will not come back, or if there is any way to bring it back manually.
hVFD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
pmcmath

We had the same issue and luckily it happened at the dealership so they fixed it there. Only way to get it right was to replace it. Something in the motor and let go even though it ran. Same year and model so they might have an issue somewhat.
pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
pmcmath

Oh and there is no manual retracting on that one that I know of. They took it off, sealed the holes until the new one came in.
pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
suddensam

I'm having the same issue on my 2015 Raptor 332TS. Awning worked just fine for a few trips but then started intermittently not wanting to retract. after a few tries of the switch it would come in until it just quit working all together. Only for me Keystone is denying the claim because there is a crack in the motor housing along the back edge and on the under side. Their position on it is that I didn't note it on the PDI checklist so it is something I could have caused afterward. Not sure how I could have caused the motor housing to crack on the backside when there isn't a mark on any outer edge of the awning. It is also frustrating that they would use the argument that it is my job to note an issue that is 10-12 feet off the ground and only visible from the ground if you know exactly what you are looking for. My dealer is now telling me that I am on my own to work with Keystone to get it resolved if I want to get it fixed.

Assuming yours is the same as mine there is a manual way to bring it in. On the passenger side of the awning there is a round cover you can pop out with a flat blade screwdriver. This reveals a square socket you can put a 3/8" ratchet in to crank the awning in with.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Earlier Raptors came with a Manual rear awning Either Dometic 9200 series with side braces or Dometic 9500 series without side braces if you want to go to a manual crank rear awning
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
kilolima

Extension limit adjust

3/8 ratchet, w/extension, you can manually roll it back in on the right side, looking at it from the back. You shouldn't need to rewind all the way. If you have a helper, rewind a couple of inches, try the switch. You may need to rewind the whole way.? There is an extension limit adjustment on the left side. I find limiting to 3/4 of full extension is open enough for me. Then smile! Real easy fix.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
hVFD4

Smile

Got it to come back with 3/8 socket. Thank you for the help everyone. Our dealership is going to warranty the awing and fix it onsite at our home. Pretty happy so far with buying from this dealer
hVFD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
suddensam

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddensam View Post
I'm having the same issue on my 2015 Raptor 332TS. Awning worked just fine for a few trips but then started intermittently not wanting to retract. after a few tries of the switch it would come in until it just quit working all together. Only for me Keystone is denying the claim because there is a crack in the motor housing along the back edge and on the under side. Their position on it is that I didn't note it on the PDI checklist so it is something I could have caused afterward. Not sure how I could have caused the motor housing to crack on the backside when there isn't a mark on any outer edge of the awning. It is also frustrating that they would use the argument that it is my job to note an issue that is 10-12 feet off the ground and only visible from the ground if you know exactly what you are looking for. My dealer is now telling me that I am on my own to work with Keystone to get it resolved if I want to get it fixed.

Assuming yours is the same as mine there is a manual way to bring it in. On the passenger side of the awning there is a round cover you can pop out with a flat blade screwdriver. This reveals a square socket you can put a 3/8" ratchet in to crank the awning in with.
I wanted to provide an update on the service I received from Keystone and am ultimately getting from my dealer. It took a couple of weeks but once I actually got to talk with a person at Keystone it was discovered that my dealer (Camping World) never actually submitted the warranty claim to Keystone. When I was originally given the news (over the phone) that my warranty claim would not be covered the explanation my service representative provided was that it was denied because the pictures provided by the service tech with the claim showed impact damage. When I asked what the next steps are for disputing the denied claim is when he told me to contact Keystone directly. My assumption at this point was that Keystone had received a claim and were the ones to deny it. What actually happened was the claim was written up but somewhere within the approval process within Camping World it was decided that the picture showed impact damage and the claim would not be submitted to Keystone. I'm ok with this process in principle other than it wasn't clearly communicated to me on who actually denied it.

The problem I had all along was they kept telling me it was clear from the picture that the part in question had impact damage. No matter how I looked at the actual unit I couldn't figure out how they could so easily determine it was impact damage when I couldn't find a scratch on the outside surfaces. I still can't explain how the damage occurred but I know it was not from impact or anything I did. I've uploaded a couple pictures I took showing the cracked motor housing. I finally scheduled to bring the unit back in and have the service representative and his manager look at the unit in person to get an explanation. This is when I finally got to see the picture they were going off of. It was zoomed in so tight you could hardly tell which way was up in the photo and the black surface of the awning housing had dust with finger print smudges that made it look scratched (or impacted). If all I had to go on was that photo I might have said it looked like impact was a likely cause of the issue as well.

After going through everything with the service manager and having the actual unit on hand he agreed to order the parts and fix my awning. At this point parts have been ordered.

Although I'm still frustrated that I had to jump through some extra hoops that could have been avoided I am satisfied that Camping World is doing what they can to make it right and ultimately keep me as a customer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MotorHousing.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	9460   Click image for larger version

Name:	CrackCloseUp.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	9461  
Old 09-19-2015, 04:48 AM   #9
jsmith948

The bottom line here is that Camping World LIED to to you. The service tech or manager arbitrarily decided that you were at fault and then put it off on Keystone. I think this relates to some of the other threads on here regarding warranty work. It has been stated that the dealers don't make as much on warranty work as they do on regular repairs. The idea was to get you to pay out of pocket for a repair that should have been covered so that the dealer could make more money. I would send a message to Marcus and then I would probably NEVER darken their doorway again. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote