Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
jsmith948

Xantrex converter

Just finished reading an article in the July issue of Trailer Life regarding the Xantrex TRUECharge2 converter.
This converter is supposedly 'smarter' than the OEM converter in out Cougar.
The author would like me to believe that the 3 stage WFCO converter will not properly maintain my batteries as well as the Xantrex. The voltages provided by the Xantrex are the same as the voltages provided by the WFCO. The problem of sulfation is mentioned; and, again, the author claims this 'smarter' converter is better.
I am all for proper battery maintenance, but, I have maintained our batteries (2 - 6v golf cart batteries) for the last 3 3/4 years with the on board WFCO converter without issue. Am I missing something? do I NEED this???

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Seabee

The Electrician in me has to throw out the bull-excrement flag. Especially if you have maintained the batteries you have for almost 4 years without fail. Average life expectancy of a battery is what, 5 years? Does the article say anything about a guarantee that your batteries will last longer if you get this new cats-meow Xantrex jimmy-jank? To answer your question, no, doesn't sound to me like you need it. Spend the money on adult beverages, or cool man-toys instead
Old 06-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
jsmith948

Thanks for the reply. Don't know how much this Xantrex gadget costs, but, Belvidere is $38.95 for 1.75L at Costco Seems like better bang for the buck!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 07-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
CJW8

The answer is- It depends! The WFCO converters are notorious for being forever stuck in absorption mode at 13.6-7 volts. To make matters worse, the manufacturers do not install them properly. They are either too far away from the batteries or too small of wire to the batteries. Usually both of these are true. This install error make it even harder for the WFCO to go into boost and float mode. 13.6-7 volts is hard on your batteries day in and day out as a maintenance voltage. In high ambient temperatures it is especially hard on them. If you have a handheld volt meter you can easily determine if yours is achieving all three modes of charge. 1. Turn your converter off and allow your battery to go down to 12.0 Volts. The time it takes to get down to 12 volts depends on how many batteries you have and how much load you use to bring the batteries down. 2. When at 12 volts resting voltage, turn your converter back on and monitor the converter voltage at the converter output terminals. If it ramps up to 14.4 volts, you are good. If it does go to 14+ volts and stays there for a good amount of time, great. It should eventually drop to 13.6 and then to float at around 13.2 volts. 3. Step 3 can actually be done first if you want. If you have been plugged in and all loads off for a few days (RV storage) and your voltage is at 13.2 volts, great! You got a good one. Most likely, you'll find your voltage stuck at 13.6-7 volts. This may work for you but you'll need to be maintaining your battery water levels.

The TrueCharge II just works as it is supposed to. I am on my third one, replacing WFCO's in three different campers. The other important features it has for proper battery maintenance is the ability to equalize your batteries and battery temperature compensation. With the latter, no matter what the battery or ambient temperature is, the Xantrex will send the battery the proper voltage compensated to temperature.
CJW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
CJW8

Another feature I forgot to mention is the TrueCharge II is power factor corrected. Without a lot of electrical explaining, what this simply means it is it requires less wattage to operate. A typical 40 amp TC II can be run with a Honda 1000 watt generator.
CJW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
jsmith948

Thanks for the response. I will certainly check out the voltages as you have described. We replaced our group 24 12V with two golf cart batteries in Late 2011. Have not had any issues. Used to leave the trailer plugged in continuously, but, for the last several months have been plugging it in for several days once a month. Never have to add water so maybe it's working correctly.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 07-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJW8 View Post
The TrueCharge II just works as it is supposed to. I am on my third one, replacing WFCO's in three different campers. The other important features it has for proper battery maintenance is the ability to equalize your batteries and battery temperature compensation. With the latter, no matter what the battery or ambient temperature is, the Xantrex will send the battery the proper voltage compensated to temperature.
Do you have to redo the wiring or move them closer?
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote