Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
master sprinter

2500 towing

Its is frustrating that the heavier duty they make a truck these days the more limited they make it! Adding more weight to the suspension which technically should make the GVWR more actually makes it less. If they add a 1000 lbs of suspension weight which in turn brings down the payload by 1000 lbs. I wish the government would recognize legitimate upgrades and increase the GVWR accordingly.

Another hit these days is that 80% of trucks are 4x4 now, which I like for the offroad type camping we do. But the weight of the straight axle, front shaft and transfer case sure take a huge hit on payload on my "HD" truck.

Venting over

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Turbo Diesel/ Smarty Jr.
2015 Sprinter Campfire Edition
master sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
cblong

Quote:
Originally Posted by master sprinter View Post
Its is frustrating that the heavier duty they make a truck these days the more limited they make it! Adding more weight to the suspension which technically should make the GVWR more actually makes it less. If they add a 1000 lbs of suspension weight which in turn brings down the payload by 1000 lbs. I wish the government would recognize legitimate upgrades and increase the GVWR accordingly.

Another hit these days is that 80% of trucks are 4x4 now, which I like for the offroad type camping we do. But the weight of the straight axle, front shaft and transfer case sure take a huge hit on payload on my "HD" truck.

Venting over
they should stop selling 3/4 tons and only sell one tons the extra 800-1000 bucks is well worth the added payload capacity

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Venting over
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblong View Post
they should stop selling 3/4 tons and only sell one tons the extra 800-1000 bucks is well worth the added payload capacity
1. The government doesn't establish the GVWR of any vehicle. The manufacturer, through his automotive engineering department/design team is responsible for that. Don't blame Washington, blame Chrysler, Ford and GM.

2. There are two choices for truck buyers, 4x2 and 4x4. Choose what fits your needs, if you like one or the other, no reason to complain about the choice.

3. As for stopping production of 3/4 ton trucks. Mine fits my needs perfectly, I don't need to pay an extra 800-1000 bucks for something I couldn't use. So, please don't suggest doing away with any model of truck. Some people don't like vanilla ice cream, but I wouldn't suggest that the dairy only market butterscotch. Leave my 3/4 ton truck alone, I'll need a replacement in a few years and inflation will be enough of a price increase, I don't need to buy an "upgraded, heavier model" because someone else thought I could use it, even thought it's far more truck than I need.

It really comes down to doing your OWN homework before you spend your money. If you bought the wrong truck, don't blame the truck, blame yourself, figure out how to "fix your mistake" and move on. We've got enough of "everyone else deciding what's best for us" without suggesting elimination of a class of truck "just because".
Whew, now I feel better.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
master sprinter

Ok the auto builder then should allow for adjusting the GVWR!

My truck meets my towing requirement fine BUT was a general observation
made. With the making of a HD you have come closer to making it a grocery hauler than the non HD model and it should be the other way around.

Adding a 5th wheel hitch or turnover type hitch along with running boards, spray in lining, tonneau and a few other after market items makes the truck almost unable to tow a lot of 5th wheels that it normally could. Not much wiggle room anymore.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
trueweb

I'm curious about the whole 10,000lbs number. It seems to me this is really about selling more trucks, not about truly measuring what they can tow.

Many of the trucks between 3/4 and 1 ton share the same components and those that don't usually share the same chassis, so a few suspension or brake mods would make them exactly the same.

That being the case some states/locales require special licenses for vehicles with gross weights over 10,000lbs, so in order to sell more trucks the manufacturer just sets that as the limit regardless of the actual capability of the truck so they don't scare away non-licensed "truck" drivers.

Conspiracy?
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
master sprinter

1. The government doesn't establish the GVWR of any vehicle. The manufacturer, through his automotive engineering department/design team is responsible for that. Don't blame Washington, blame Chrysler, Ford and GM."

I don't know how it works in the US but I am in Canada and yes the manufacturer does set the GVWR but using government criteria.

"Q. Who determines the GVWR?
Vehicle manufacturers set the GVWR based on requirements set by Transport Canada."

I just think maybe the manufacturers engineers should explain this to the government dept that sets the criteria.

And yes trueweb I think there is more than meets the eye but we consumers don't see all the info and have no input good or bad.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]

I just think maybe the manufacturers engineers should explain this to the government dept that sets the criteria.

I cannot comprehend anyone, let alone engineers, explaining anything to any government -in any country and of any political stripe - and expect it to understand a word you said.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

x2 Festus. The government is in far, far too many things that it has no business in....and when it gets involved, it really messes it up.

As far as 3/4 tons; there was a recent post dealing with a 3/4 ton diesel that was 14 years old. Specs on those trucks gave them a payload of 1200 - 1500lbs. My 2014 Ram 2500 has a payload of 3182lbs. BIG difference in the newer trucks. 5th wheels and 3/4 tons; If you look at the weights of 5th wheels, total and pin, you see they are very heavy. Some say they are 1/2 ton towable. I guess if it was 25' long and was light on the pin...maybe. The weights on most 5th wheels will strap a 3/4 ton; you have to look carefully at what you are getting and what your truck can do, but they can do it when paired correctly. Buying a truck, then buying a trailer with no thought about the trucks capabilities makes no sense. Saying "because its a HD truck it should pull the 5th wheel" also makes no sense. There are different levels of HD that differ them from a normal pickup. It's up to the buyer/owner to know the capabilities and limits of what it is that he has/buys....not the goverment or anyone else.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:40 AM   #9
larry337

This actually makes sense. Last I was shopping for a landscape trailer. A lot of the trailers had 2 3500 lb axles. They weighed around 1500 lbs empty. But the gvwr was only 3000 lbs. When I asked why I was told brakes are an option and this model doesn't have them. Most states require brakes for trailers over 3000 lbs so the gvwr is set to that number. The trailer itself, tires, and axles were clearly built to handle more.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #10
cabinfever

I think the thing many overlook when buying a truck is the payload taken away by extended and 4 door cabs along with diesel engines. IMO, if you are pulling any style camper and want the aforementioned then you should upgrade a weight class. I see many 3/4 ton diesel extended/ 4door cabs pulling a 5er. I would think most of those are on the line or over weight, both at the rear axle and GVW. Another thing about 1 tons, there are many different configurations of 1 tons that change GVW and towing capacities so a just because it is a 1 ton doesn't always get you enough capacity for what you have behind you.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #11
Javi

If it wasn't so sad, I'd just have to laugh..

Just a few years ago a 3/4 ton truck was just that. It would haul 3/4 of a ton or 1500 pounds whichever came first.. Now a 3/4 ton truck is rated to haul anywhere from a full ton and upwards of a ton and a half.. And y'all think they should haul more..

Heck why don't we just remove the rating system altogether and go hook up to anything you think you got the nerve to haul... a bunch of folks are already doing that anyway, what with towing 20K Toy haulers with 3/4 ton trucks and such..

Stupid always cost somebody money... I should know... I've spent thousands of dollars over the years fixing or covering up my stupid mistakes.. in fact I just did it again this past week when I bought the new dually I should have bought in the first place instead of that weak little 3/4 ton
Old 03-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #12
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
x2 Festus. The government is in far, far too many things that it has no business in....and when it gets involved, it really messes it up.

As far as 3/4 tons; there was a recent post dealing with a 3/4 ton diesel that was 14 years old. Specs on those trucks gave them a payload of 1200 - 1500lbs. My 2014 Ram 2500 has a payload of 3182lbs. BIG difference in the newer trucks. 5th wheels and 3/4 tons; If you look at the weights of 5th wheels, total and pin, you see they are very heavy. Some say they are 1/2 ton towable. I guess if it was 25' long and was light on the pin...maybe. The weights on most 5th wheels will strap a 3/4 ton; you have to look carefully at what you are getting and what your truck can do, but they can do it when paired correctly. Buying a truck, then buying a trailer with no thought about the trucks capabilities makes no sense. Saying "because its a HD truck it should pull the 5th wheel" also makes no sense. There are different levels of HD that differ them from a normal pickup. It's up to the buyer/owner to know the capabilities and limits of what it is that he has/buys....not the goverment or anyone else.
You're probably refering too my thread about my 14 year old F-250

Me and dear wifey just went to a RV show down in Atlanta, and we looked at a 1/2 towable 5th wheel, well it came in a 8955lbs per the sticker, which we know it's more than that. So ya I'm sure my truck will tow it, but I will be over the GVWR of 8800lbs what I'd estimate by about 2-300lbs. What was the scary part is listening too a sales man tell a guy that he could tow this HUGE 40+ft 5th wheel weighing in at over 16K with a F-250 now granted he was talking about a 2015 model, but I made the comment get as big a tow vehicle for that 5th wheel as he could, I know I would want atleast a F-350 dually for that camper we where in.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:32 AM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
1. The government doesn't establish the GVWR of any vehicle. The manufacturer, through his automotive engineering department/design team is responsible for that. Don't blame Washington, blame Chrysler, Ford and GM."

I don't know how it works in the US but I am in Canada and yes the manufacturer does set the GVWR but using government criteria.

"Q. Who determines the GVWR?
Vehicle manufacturers set the GVWR based on requirements set by Transport Canada."

And yes trueweb I think there is more than meets the eye but we consumers don't see all the info and have no input good or bad.
Yep, more or less the way it works here!!!
It is the 10,000# thing in many states. Once a truck has a GVWR over 10,000# tax and registration cost, start to increase in some cases greatly!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #14
GaryWT

When I was looking at trucks in New England last year there were 10 350's to ever 250 on the lot. I was looking at gas and really wanted the 350. In the end, the price was about the same, the towing was about the same 12,100 lbs and the payloads were 3200 for the 250 and a little over 3800 for the 350. More than enough for what I wanted.

The truck was over 10,000 and I did not understand what that ment but the dealer said they had to send someone to an actual registry to get this truck registered as non commercial. Because I was not using it as a commercial vehicle and was using it as my daily driver they would take care of it.

Once home, I went to get my inspection sticker, the station could not do it as they were only licenced up to 10,000 pounds. I had to take it to a commerial station but becaue it was registered correctly, the inspection went through as a normal one. This saved me $100 a year plus a $300 commercial kit.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #15
b.d.keathley

One thing I want to find out is how a crown vic can turn into a stretch limo with a jacuzzi and get registered. If that can happen then there should be some mods you can do to a 3/4 ton that will make it "legally" be able to handle more weight.
2013 Keyston Cougar 333MKS
2 15K BTU AC's
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #16
audio1der

You can pay to have a vehicle recertified but it's a horrid, tedious process.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #17
larry337

They're licensed as a body/vehicle manufacturer/dealer. No different then a company who builds a dump, utility, box truck, tanker or tow truck on a cab and chassis frame.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #18
Pmedic4

Upgrading TV - new 2500

Just test drove a new TV the other day, and interestingly, found the weight sticker inside the door on this 2500(Dodge Ram), was 3200 pounds. Which is about a 1000 pounds more than my current truck. Sadly, I could easily tell it's sticker was rated higher than my current truck, as the ride was much stiffer, and harsh - also 4x4, if that makes a difference. As a daily driver, I have a hard time justifying such an uncomfortable ride for the other 90% of the time, so I guess my current old faithful will have to do.

Any comments my big --- about breaking down the springs over the years, I'll protest loudly as I resemble that remark!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Well, my 2014 Ram 2500 sticker says 3182 and it is 4x4 and that does make a difference in the ride.....and it is harsh. Your post gave me hope - if it's possible for my big---- to break down the springs maybe I won't have to keep worrying about a compressed spine!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote