Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
twalk225

Black water tank treatment?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat a brand new black water tank? Is there some sort of initial treatment for first time use such as chemicals, tablets, etc.? I'm new to camping and would really like to maintain my new camper when it comes in.
twalk225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
jkohler70

There is no treatment necessary before use. Most use some sort of additive to help mitigate odors. Some of these products claim to "digest waste", but your tank will rarely be full long enough for any enzymatic action.
The best advice is to use a lot of water, and don't empty until at least 2/3 full. If you are ready to dump, and it's less than 2/3 full, add water first. If you have a black water flush, connect and run until the water is clear. The manufacturer suggests not to close the valve while operating, but you can as long as you don't get distracted. I empty, attach the hose and run it until I get clear water. I then close the valve and have someone monitor the panel until it's 2/3 full again. Then I open the valve again (while still running the water).
After emptying, add a drop in of some kind, then add a few gallons of water. This will "slosh around", and hopefully remove any residue. Some even add Calgon and/or dish soap.
Even with all of this, it's unlikely that your tank monitor will operate correctly for very long. Most of us don't depend on them.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
GaryWT

Can't say it enough, water, plenty of water. I use aqua chem liquid after every flush, some people us nothing, try a few things to see what you like. Just remember to keep the black tank closed until you have enough in it to dump.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
wahoonc

I have used the "geomethod" for years with great success on different trailers.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
Rex1vt

see also tanktechsrx.com/videos-google search for the other side of the holding tank issue(for one i am sure)
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote