Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
kguess

2011 Keystone Hideout 19FLB

I want to clean and re-seal the roof of my camper. I don't have any leaks, just preventive maintenance . My roof , I think, is rubber. Can you give me advice about cleaning ( a dealer told me to use Dawn to clean) but he wasn't sure about exactly what type of rubber roof it has. Is there a product that can be used on either type of rubber roof ( seems like there are two types)? Any advice is appreciated. Kenny
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The roof is either EPDM or TPO. The easiest way to determine which you have is to remove the vent shroud from the bathroom vent. The roofing material was cut and folded/stapled to the rafters so the vent could be installed. If the roofing material is white on top and black/charcoal gray on the bottom, it is EPDM. If the material is white on top and bottom, it is TPO.

Essentially both can be cleaned with Blue Dawn, warm water and a medium bristly brush. I use a hand brush with nylon bristles similar to the kind used to clean chrome wheels on a car. DON'T use a wire brush or a stiff bristle brush.

You can find information on care and maintenance of both types of roofing at:
http://www.dicorproducts.com/resources/rudys/

Download "RUDY'S EXPERT ROOF CARE HANDBOOK" at that website.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
kguess

Roof

Is there a product that works on both types of rubber roofs?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you check the Handbook in the link I posted, you'll find all the information on what DICOR recommends you use to clean, repair and maintain your RV roof.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
kguess

Dicor roof products

Can you get Dicor roof products at any local chain stores? I want to clean and coat my 2011 Keystone roof.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

No, you won't find DICOR products in most "chain stores" or "big box stores". They are RV/marine specific and you'll only find them at RV stores, some marine supply stores and online at places like Amazon, EBay, etc.

If you go to your local RV store, they should have most of what you need.

If your RV is a 2011 model, there probably is no need to "clean and coat" your roof. Refer to the maintenance guide, clean per instructions and apply a preservative such as 303 protectant.

The DICOR sealant coating is not for regular maintenance, but is a "renewal coating" that reconditions/renews an aging roof coating. It's more for use toward the end of the serviceable life of a roof to extend it a few more years rather than for application on a serviceable roof that just needs cleaning and conditioning.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
kguess

Jrtjh

Thanks for that important info, I thought you had to do the re-coat every few years, I actually thought I was over do.....I will do as you recommend and again I appreciate that info... regards, kenny
PS Where would I find the "maintenance guide" you mentioned?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The roof is either EPDM or TPO. The easiest way to determine which you have is to remove the vent shroud from the bathroom vent. The roofing material was cut and folded/stapled to the rafters so the vent could be installed. If the roofing material is white on top and black/charcoal gray on the bottom, it is EPDM. If the material is white on top and bottom, it is TPO.

Essentially both can be cleaned with Blue Dawn, warm water and a medium bristly brush. I use a hand brush with nylon bristles similar to the kind used to clean chrome wheels on a car. DON'T use a wire brush or a stiff bristle brush.

You can find information on care and maintenance of both types of roofing at:
http://www.dicorproducts.com/resources/rudys/

Download "RUDY'S EXPERT ROOF CARE HANDBOOK" at that website.

Good Luck
Click on this link, it will take you to the webpage where the guide is located. It's the middle link on the right hand side of the page. There's a picture of a man with his hands folded and the caption says: "Rudy's Expert Roof Care Handbook" Click on that link and it will download the handbook onto your computer, then open it and all the information is there in one file.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS