Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
nfd421

Ac tripping breker

OK i went camping memorial day weekend and the 30 amp service at the campground melted and caused my tt to shutdown they replaced the plug and everything was fine now we came camping to the same park and the same thing my ac breaker keeps tripping so they replaced the service plug again however last night the ac breaker tripped again i kept on hearing a clicking come from the ac unit. today i replaced the 30/20amp duplex breaker with a 30 amp main and a separate 20 amp breaker for theac now the ac stays on but i keep hearing a clicking noise from the ac any ideas of what this is?
nfd421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
chuck&gail

What is the VOLTAGE inside your TT with the A/C running. If it is below 110 VAC the poor A/C is probably trying to keep from burning itself up. Low voltage is common in campgrounds, and is why we carry a Hughes autoformer, which corrects the problem almost always. May be something else, but low voltage is most common cause for A/C problems.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
cumminsdad08

Hughes autoformer? please explain? looks expensive. how does install?
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
chuck&gail

Hughes autoformer can be hardwired in series with shore power cord if you wish. We just connect it between pedistal and TT shore power cord when CG voltage is low or marginal, chained to post so nobody can "borrow" it. We end up needing it at about 20% of the CG's we go to. Do not remember the cost, but a wife without A/C when it is hot out is NOT a pretty sight.

Some folks prefer the gadgets that just disconnect the voltage when it is too low. To us that is bad, it means no A/C or anything else that runs off incoming voltage. That is not a good solution IMO, although it will keep A/C from being damaged.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Johnnyfry

Autoformer

A autoforner is a single winding transformer which raises the voltage when the supply voltage is low, automatically tracking chavges in supply voltage. Depending upon the design (and cost!) they can adjust the output up or down (for high voltage). Hughes is a popular brand designed for R/V use.

They are quite heavy and cost in the neighborhood of $500-$600. As Chuck&gail said, they are quite effective.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
nfd421

ok so ive replaced my main and ac breaker and it seems to be ok for now but im going to purchase the autoformer just to play it safe id rather spend the 400 bucks on autoformer instead of the repair/replacment cost of the ac. ive also ordered a volt and amp meter to wire into my panel to monitor the amps and voltage on my shore power.
nfd421 is offline   Reply With Quote