Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
danjentravels

light switches?

Hey all. We just purchased the 337fls 5r and something odd I noticed was there is no entry light switch inside the door nor is there one in our bedroom. Not that I hate it I just thought thats a little odd. Anyone else notice this with a new unit? Any ideas on adding switches
danjentravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Bob Landry

Welcome to the mysterious design world of Keystone. My overhead lights are on a panel by the door, but no bedroom lights. Actually the living area lights are on the switch. An overhead light in the hallway by the door is not. You will also find wall outlets that are fed by breakers that you wouldn't suspect. You would do well to go through the trailer and see what feeds what just so you will know. Nothing about Keystones electrical design and construction makes much sense.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
danjentravels

Lol. I kind of started wondering about that. When it stpps raining for a day I will get into it. Thinkin about picking up a couple switches and running them so wire can have lights. She cant reach the switch light on roof in bedroom lol.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

There was at least one thread on here that others offered some solutions such as a simple motion detector/led light positioned across the door. Just another Keystone surprise. Hopefully others can direct you to the thread

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
canesfan

I have nothing by the door, have to walk either to the control panel or up the stairs to turn on a light. My kitchen lights and front outside awning light are in the hall upstairs by the bathroom. The main living area lights are on the control panel in the living area, behind a door. All the switches in the garage are behind the tv.

Anyway, I got a battery operated LED light from Lowes to stick just inside the door, didn't want a motion one, just an one off, for about $10.

Wonderful planning on Keystones part.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
danjentravels

I think a $10 solution might work well rather then cutting holes and feeding wires. I am real curious as to what they were or weren't thinkin at build time
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
KanTC

It's not strictly a Keystone "issue" We've owned other brands that also made us ask, "What were they thinking"?
Kinda makes ya wonder if the design folks have ever actually USED an RV, huh?

Agreed - sometimes those little adhesive "puck lights" are a simple solution.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
theasphaltrv'er

It's been goin on for several years now... part of the First lady's Fight Against Obesity.. gets your arse moving around so you'll stay thin & trim ... LOL!
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
canesfan

I agree it's totally not a KS issue, it's all of them. We've been saying for years that the people that design these things should HAVE to live in them for a couple weeks before they're allowed to sell them.

I also understand why there may not be a light switch on the wall inside the door do to the way the walls are constructed, but there's enough ways around that IMO. And, for what it's worth, ours has a 120V outlet in the exterior wall by the top bed in the garage. So they can run wires through those walls if they want.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
denverpilot

And for an opposite experience, our 312RE 5er has a convenient switch near the floor to the right of the entry door for controlling the overhead light right at the door. That actually makes some sense.

You kinda just have to look at different models and "think like it's dark out" before purchasing... We didn't really do that being newbies, but we will someday long hence on our next trailer.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I agree it's totally not a KS issue, it's all of them. We've been saying for years that the people that design these things should HAVE to live in them for a couple weeks before they're allowed to sell them.

I also understand why there may not be a light switch on the wall inside the door do to the way the walls are constructed, but there's enough ways around that IMO. And, for what it's worth, ours has a 120V outlet in the exterior wall by the top bed in the garage. So they can run wires through those walls if they want.
Just wonder if the garage walls are constructed the same way as the rest of the coach? As you said and I recall there are a few 120VAC oulets on the outside Walsh back there.Do not recall any on the outside walls anywhere else
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #12
Richard6959

I just picked up a 2014 Laredo. Found the main light switches inside the cabinet door of the entertainment center. Bedroom light over the queen bed is hard to reach with no light switch. I am looking at a wireless light to replace the factory light then I will have a little remote that I can stick on the wall. No wires to run.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #13
msp2jxr

Keystone must be listening because we just picked up our 2015 337FLS and we have a switch for the bedroom lights. Unfortunately, we do not have a switch off the entry door. Took care of that by replacing the dining room table light with a LED motion sensor light.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Richard6959

Wireless lighting ?

Has anyone tried wireless lighting that has a remote for a switch? I have been considering that as a possible solution.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6959 View Post
Has anyone tried wireless lighting that has a remote for a switch? I have been considering that as a possible solution.
The only problem that I can see with that is the addition of yet more "parasitic drains" as the new fixture has a "monitor circuit" in it that continually runs "watching for the switch to call for lights"...... On shore power, not a big issue, when dry camping, they all "add up" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
bsmith0404

I love RV lighting. Keystone was so thoughtful putting the switch near the floor just inside our door...only problem, I always forget it's there. We spend our entire life in houses that for the most part are all wired the same way. Then we walk into our RVs and nothing makes sense. Most of our lights are inside the control panel.....we have others that are located throughout the camper. Every time we go camping it takes me two days to figure out which switch is which again. I know I need to label them. It's always so much fun to open the control panel and start hitting switches only to find out the one for the light I'm trying to turn isn't in there, adds excitement to my day. When I find the correct switch it's like winning a scavenger hunt!!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote