Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2014, 04:38 AM   #21
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverB View Post
I can say the throttle response is a little crisper since the rail is getting pure fuel and not fuel/air. The only mileage gain was maybe 1/2 mile better per gallon. I am pretty anal on keeping track of my fuel mileage and fine tuning my tuner to get the best fuel mileage while towing. My truck is set up for towing and efficiency, not speed.

What I did was on an identical trip (same location, road, distance) I hand calculated my fuel consumption with certain settings on my tuner and then made the same trip to compare. I usually see 11.5-12mpg while towing. The one time I drove my truck with no trailer to my parents house (340 mile round trip) I was getting 22.4mpg.

I only use my truck for towing, other than that it sits in the garage until the next time its needed.

You wont hurt your truck by adding the FASS system, but it all honestly you wont see a huge jump in fuel mileage to justify the $635 price tag. I have to have it since my twin CP3 needs the higher volume lift pump, but a stock engine gets by just fine on the factory pump/ fuel filter.

Also you don't need to run "FASS Filters". I run Fleetguard filters that I purchase on line in bulk, much cheaper.
I have the FASS DRP (direct replacement pump) lift pump for my VP44. The justifiably maligned stock Carter lift pump was dropping pressure, endangering the life of my VP44 injection pump. In my case, I wouldn't describe the DRP to be an air/fuel separator. My hwy mileage is consistently 20-21, hand calculated, which is better than my 12 valve ever had. The computer currently says 23.4 MPG, while driving 60-65.

I stay with the EGT gauge when towing in the mountains, requiring a downshift to 5th to stay out of the red. Lack of power isn't an issue, as the Cummins will take itself into the red at my command. Towing the 326 will be more intensive in that regard. I see you have water/meth injection. That's something I'm considering to lower EGT for those big pulls. Does the Banks system work well?

Definitely Cummins Fleetguard filters for me.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #22
DiverB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I see you have water/meth injection. That's something I'm considering to lower EGT for those big pulls. Does the Banks system work well? Definitely Cummins Fleetguard filters for me.
I too drive by the EGT gauge when towing. The BANKS system works very well, but its important to note the claim that using water-methanol can lower EGTs. Remember that methanol is a fuel, and as such it contributes to the cylinder pressure when burned. One of the byproducts of the combustion process is HEAT. This is ALWAYS the case! Using a 50/50 mix of water-methanol will result in an increase of EGT, plain and simple. Using lower blends, such as 75(water)/25(methanol), you may find a balance point for your particular application where the water cooling and the methanol burning balance in such a way as to net an equal EGT with a moderate increase in power.

I like the BANKS system since you can dial in the injection point for EGT's or boost. I have mine set at 1100 and it will raise the EGT's a little more, but then it will bring the EGT's back down to where it was when it activated, and by that time I've already crested the hill and my EGT's rarely see anything over 1250. Since my truck does not have all the emission BS and I have a larger intake horn, and Intercooler my truck actually runs pretty cool. 580-620 without towing and 850-975 while towing, unless I'm pulling a heavy grade.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #23
Desert185

Which intercooler did you install?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #24
DiverB

I had the BANKS intercooler on my 2007 and my EGTs dropped by 150 easy. Unforntually BANKS does not make an intercooler to fit my 2012, so I went with AFE and it's working nicely.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #25
Desert185

Sometimes when intercooler size is increased the water temp tends to increase. The Cummins has a pretty stout cooling system, but I wonder if you noticed any increase in coolant running temperature with the bigger intercooler.

150 degree drop in EGT would be welcome during a pull in the Sierra.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #26
DiverB

No changes in the coolant temp, but again once I removed all the emissions junk there was no reason to run a higher thermostat (the EGR & EGR Cooler require the coolant temps to be higher). I changed both my 2007 and my 2012 to 190 degree thermostats and my truck runs about 193-196 all day long, even while towing. Pulling a long grade in Flagstaff, AZ I saw 205 but that wasn't a big deal

Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #27
Desert185

Installed a Magnaflow 4" turbo back (PacBrake back) exhaust system a few days ago. Resulted in EGT drop of 50-100 and a bit quicker for the turbo to spool up while driving my designated test course without towing. Stainless, straight-through muffler with no highway drone. Easy install kit. Summit Racing sourced, next day, free delivery. What a deal.

Towing a 5400# Cletrac crawler tractor on a flat bed car hauler over the Sierra tomorrow. Looking forward to the before and after EGT comparison.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #28
DiverB

I towed my car to a car show in eastern PA and my EGT temps never rose above 950 while pulling some of the hills, and I was towing at 75mph

Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #29
Desert185

Nice looking Charger.

I start at 5400', descend to 4500', then climb over a couple of 7000'+ passes to descend down to 800' on the west side of the Sierra with that tractor. I'm going to see more than 950 EGT. My Ram isn't as studly as yours.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #30
DiverB

Well your in pretty large mountains, we have mostly hills out here. I did tow my old 30' Gearbox toyhauler (bumper pull) through Flagstaff AZ, and I was seeing 1100+ on the EGT's for awhile, had my undivided attention for awhile

Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #31
Desert185

Delivered the Cletrac to the bro-in-law. Winched it on the trailer (with the help of a snatch block), but backed it off the trailer and into the barn on it's own power after almost 15 years of not running and a recent carb rebuild. For a 1918, it actually runs pretty well.

On the way over the "hill" it was easy to peg the EGT. A downshift to fifth and judicious use of the right pedal kept the EGT in limits. Getting down to flatlander country, 950 was about the max, and it pulled the 2,000#, empty car hauler back to God's country in 6th with a drop into 5th for some of the uphill, slow to 45 curves. The 4", mandrel bent, Magnaflow system made a difference. The exhaust lost that whooshing sound from the stock 3" system, and it made idle with the exhaust brake for faster warmups much quieter.

Summit Racing, $259, free delivery, aluminized, mandrel bent, with stainless muffler, essentially bolt in. What a deal.

The Cummins continues to impress.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #32
DiverB

Sounds like a great trip. Install an intercooler and you'll see a drop in EGT's by at least 100-150 no problem. Is your exhaust from the turbo back or the downpipe? I run turbo back straight pipe. The stock downpipe is pretty restrictive and is the culprit for high EGT's aswell.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #33
Desert185

PacBrake back. I was straight pipe with the stock 3", but it was a bit loud with the resonator and muffler removed. The EGT went down and dropped even more with the 4" Magnaflow and straight through muffler. The annoying noise is gone, with just a hint of "this truck isn't stock" sound, if you know what I mean.

I might try an aftermarket intercooler this winter when my activity list thins out. Be nice to use the pedal I have left without worrying about EGT during a tow in the mountains.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #34
DiverB

[QUOTE=Desert185;140939a hint of "this truck isn't stock" sound, if you know what I mean. Be nice to use the pedal I have left without worrying about EGT during a tow in the mountains.[/QUOTE]

Oh I do know what you mean, As soon as my Harley is paid off, I have my mind set on the ATS Aurora twin turbo setup or at the very least a larger single turbo to keep my power up but reduce EGT's. Geeeze if money were not an issue the things I would love to do to the truck; however, that's not the case, money is always a consideration so I build slowly as finances permit, lol