Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
kguess

Ole school towing...

I remember my father in law worked in the oil field when it was rock and rolling in the 50's ans 60's. Well, long story short, he towed a house trailer ( 45 feet plus )up and down the Gulf coast with his family going from one rig to the next ( Texas, Louisiana , Mississippi , etc) Everything they owned was in that trailer. God knows what it weighted.... His TV was a 50 ish Cadillac . No WD HITCH or sway bars. He actually used a hand held mirror to see behind him! Later he used a Ford Gallaxy, same set up. And today we measure, weigh, use this type of hitch and that sway control, brake controller ( not sure if he had a brake set up but if I'm guessing, I'd say no) , re- measure, re- weight, double check this and that. Nothing wrong with being safe but I thought about this while I was doing all the weighing and checking... Just wanted to share their story. He has passed away but he towing that long, heavy trailer many miles with few issues. And if you haven't seen the movie ' The Long, long trailer' starring Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, do your self a favor and watch it ( it's actually online and you can watch the entire movie) Just make sure u are ready to laugh your a#% off !!!
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
hoffbrew

That is too funny and very accurate. I am going to find this movie, sounds like a great family camping movie.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
jsmith948

Kind of like toddler seats and seat belts. Remember those aluminum framed car seats that just hooked over the seat backs? My DS used to sit on my lunch bucket with his feet on the front seat so he could see over the dash! I guess we're better off today?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You mean like this one? And remember when there were vent windows in cars and trucks and fuzzy dice on the mirror.... Good old days? A much slower time, that's for certain.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car seat.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	6350   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuzzy dice.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	6352  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Watt

Those were the days when the whole family went thru the windshield! I still remember the glove box lid w/two small rings where Mother sat the cups while she mixed their "roadie" drinks, while my brother was laying on the back deck below the rear windshield!
Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
KanTC

Wow, what a blast of the past, kguess!! My Grandpa also towed a travel trailer with his Cadillac, I remember that car being huge, a light turquoise blue & had those "big ol' fins" on the back. <LOL> Camping trips were a *family affair* then... granted, my Mom & Dad, Aunts & Uncles, and all of "us kids" slept in our big green canvas tents!!

Ohhhh my, I hadn't thought about those car seats in years --- yes, we had no seat belts in vehicles, and rode 2-3 kids on ONE bicycle & there was no such thing as bicycle helmets -or- color TV... we had a rotary dial telephone & a party-line.

My how things have changed! And how I wish I still had Grandpa's *classic* travel trailer
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	long-trailer.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	6353  
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
poncho62

Funny stories......I remember my dad towing some pretty heavy stuff in the day, didnt give it a 2nd thought. Times were different then, less traffic, lower speeds generally.

I have a friend that tows a 4000# house trailer with an S10 pickup. Granted, he doesnt go far, but he insists he is safe. Cant tell him different. When I get tired of seeing all the "Your truck isnt big enough" threads on these forums, I just think of him
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #8
kguess

After posting this , I checked and you can watch the entire movie online. You can buy the CD also. It's been many years since we watched it so I'm excited to see it again!
Funny thing, if u watch it, many years ago (70's), we bought a 13' Chalet TT- basically a bed, stove and table. Our TV was a orange Datsun , 4 banger, standard transmission . Well out west, my wife started collecting rocks to bring home (new Orleans ) - well, if u watch the movie you'll understand!
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #9
byrdr1

Great thread! I am an Army brat, so I know all about the trips up and down the east coast as we moved from base to base like every year. Someone said a datsun 4 banger. How about a 66 datsun pickup with a slide in over the cab camper(wooden framing) pulling a 15' Renken boat on the trailer. With all your camping stuff inside the truck. Fun times...
thanks
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
jkohler70

I'm amazed at the power output increase in engines over the last 30 years. In the early-to-mid 80's, my dad towed a 19' camper with the family all over the country with a Ford Econoline van. The van had a 302 Windsor with an output of 185 HP and 270 lb-ft of torque. Nearly all current V6 engines surpass the HP output and many the torque. Heck, there are a lot of 4 bangers that will match that old 302!
Of course, I do remember running the heat on high in the middle of the summer while going through the Rocky Mountains to keep from overheating!
jkohler70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
So Cal CPA

The one thing I really miss is riding around in the back of the pickup truck as a kid!!! That was fun!

I am not that old, but I remember riding through town in the back of my Dad's white Chevy truck, I think it was white - I was pretty young.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Javi

Back in '82 or so I bought/swapped for a 27' Terry bumper pull from an ol'boy that was down on his luck and owed me some money for working on his pickup..

Well I didn't own a pickup at the time so I pulled the trailer to the deer lease (180 miles) with my '77 CJ-5. I had welded a 3" pipe bumper on both the front and back of the yellow buzzard so I just added a 2" receiver by cutting 2" square in the middle of the 3" pipe and welding the 2" tube into it.. Got me a 2" drop ball mount and a ball to fit the trailer.. And off we went...

Wasn't too bad till I hit US 84 west and then the sway started up, well I didn't have no brake controller. Didn't figure I'd need it cause I wasn't going but a couple of hundred miles, well around Goldthwaite looking for the turn onto Hwy 16 I figured I should of put some kind of brakes on this thing, but what the heck I'll just slow down a bit and it'll get better..

By the time I hit San Saba I was down to around 35 mph and thinking I'd never get to Llano much less Menard..

Whole trip took me over 9 hours and I usually did it in the Yellow buzzard in less than 3... Power was never an issue, see that CJ-5 had a 400HP 327 Chevy motor and a set of 4:88 gears with a TrueTrac in the front and a Detroit locker in the rear.. Rough Country suspension and a bunch of other off road stuff...

That was then and this is now... I don't think I would do it over
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
gearhead

My limited camping as a kid was a army cot with rotten canvas and a mosquito net over it. No tent. Dad carried that and a Coleman set (stove & lantern) in the back of a '53 Chevy truck. Had the floor starter switch and gas tank IN the cab behind the seat.
Then my uncle converted an old bread truck into a motorhome, early 1960's. Took us cousins to Arkansas. whooowheee
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
rusty rider

Ole school towin

Well I guess we all have to learn to do it right, so with that, here is my first time RV towing..

Coming out ot Seattle going to LA in 1959 with a 1954 Mercury pullin a 32'
Heavy travel trailer with a [camp on the bumper hitch], no trailer brakes and stuff tied on the trunk of that Merc....Had ever thing me and the little woman owned. Headed to Cal for a new job...WE made it, but don't how!!!!!

Since learned how, now we do it right..

Just had to relate that trip to you....adios Rich

04 Keystone Tail Gator 35fter
05 GMC 2500 D Max wilh Slider
00 Mountain Air 39fter Ranch house
07 Keystone Cougar 28fter w/ Slide
07 ST 1300 Honda the tour bike
09 Kawa Versys 650 street bike
2012 Polaris RXR XP Moded out
rusty rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
x96mnn

One has to think though, those older cars most likely weight more and were longer then a lot of the trucks we see on the road today lol!
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #16
Western Traveler

Wow, you guys sound really old!!

OK, I remember sleeping on the rear luggage shelf of our 1950 Buick when we traveled, it was where I fit as the youngest.

Canvas water bags in front of the radiator and one of those turbo type air conditioners hanging on the passenger side window.

As to towing trailers, we never gave weight a thought, without power steering things steered easier with the front wheels nearly off the ground,
"just take er' slow"

I look fondly on the past but damn glad I am in today...

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Great thread! I am an Army brat, so I know all about the trips up and down the east coast as we moved from base to base like every year. Someone said a datsun 4 banger. How about a 66 datsun pickup with a slide in over the cab camper(wooden framing) pulling a 15' Renken boat on the trailer. With all your camping stuff inside the truck. Fun times...
thanks
randy
Our first RV was a '72 Datsun pickup 4 banger with an 1800 lb. wood framed slide in. That year truck had 1 1/4 ton pay load and pulled hills like a champ .... coming down the other side was another story and I had to put dual wheel adapters on the rear to keep from tipping over ... but we had a blast and no more sleeping on rocks. "We've come a long way baby!!" (So when I tell someone I think they need more truck, I know what I'm talking about.)

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

Hank -
I see you had hair way back then - and a hint of a curl too.