Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Western Traveler

Chaining up for snow

My blog search didn't turn up much so I have a few questions. While I know not towing a TT in the snow is preferable I plan on hunting late year out of my rig this year. For sure Montana and Wyoming and possibly Arizona. I have seen the packers pulling their stock trailers down some nasty 2 tracks to the gravel roads chained up but don't remember seeing chains on their trailers. My intention is to not travel 2 tracks in latter September but gravel is certainly a possibility. Taking into account my small TT and more than capable TV and mid-day travel to help with icy conditions I still have a few questions from someone with EXPERIENCE in this. Chains on front of TV in 4 wheel drive? Chains on rear of TV? Front of TT as well or chains all around TV and front of TT? Hope that isn't too confusing.
I am willing to camp short of trail heads and drive to them but some gravel roads can be 20/30 miles from the trailhead. The thing is of course it could be 70 degrees when you park and 6 inches of snow the next morning. Didn't have this concern with a wall tent...

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
denverpilot

Chains are for drive wheel traction. They are never needed on a trailer, they're just added weight. Some TV 4x4 systems can experience damage with tire chains on. The only safe answer on a public forum is check your owner's manual. What kind of truck?

Remember the stock guys are going in there to work and make money to replace the truck they're beating up. You'll just be destroying your gear with no return on investment. Heh.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Some states require chains on certain highways after so many inches of snow. They usually want rear of TV and one axle on trailer. I have never done it with an RV and I don't think my Cougar has the clearance for chains. Might clear the fender but the slide-out mechanism is too close to the tire at the section width. Cable chains may clear????? Towing on snow and ice is not fun. Good luck, maybe someone who has done it will respond, Hank

Found this for Nevada .. other states rules are available online

The Nevada chain requirements: NRS 484.643 and NRS 484.6432 may be viewed at www.nevadadot.com.

Summary:

Studded tires authorized October 1 - April 30.
NRS 484.643 requires chains or snow tires when posted.
NRS 484.6432 require vehicles > 10,000 lbs. to chain when posted.
Vehicles over 10,000 lbs. are permitted in chain control areas if equipped with Mechanical Traction Devices (MTD) on drive axles.
Trailers must be chained.
Minimum tread depth on Mud and Snow tires is 3/16".
All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on the drive tires.
Trailers with brakes must be chained on one axle.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
denverpilot

I stand corrected. I guess they think you'll actually be able to use the brakes. Haha.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
hankaye

Western Traveler, Howdy;

Generally the best policy is ... if chains are required ...
stay put until they ain't.
However, for those that feel the need to travel ...

http://eclipsetrans.com/chain_laws.html

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I have chained up the front axle on the trailer. The idea is to prevent trailer siding across the road when brakes are applied. Here 10,000lbs trailers must have 1 axle chained up if chains required. On the truck, I did the rear only, tire shop said the brake lines could get hit by the chains on the front. I have over size rims and tires. If they can fit on the front truck axles, I would put them on their also. Older trucks I had I chained up all tires. When needed they are a life saver. Check that state laws web, my guess every state is alittle different. Oregons is half a page long for non comm vehicles..
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
dwyleecoyote

We always just chained the front tires of the tow vehicle because we had 4x4 and figured it would help drive and steer. Never worried about the trailer, but we never used them until we were off the paved road anyway, so never very much speed. This was in Pennsylvania.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	106-0643_IMG.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	4920   Click image for larger version

Name:	106-0642_IMG.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	4921   Click image for larger version

Name:	106-0687_IMG.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	4922  
dwyleecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
jsmith948

Chaining one trailer axle will help prevent a trailer jack knife. I doubt that our trailer has enough wheel well clearance for chains. I think the best advice is to stay put until chains are not required. Trucked many, many miles on Oregon and Washington's HWY 97. Sometimes chains were all that kept me on the road and out of the ditch. I always put at least one 'drag chain' on the trailer whenever chains were required and when they were needed (even if they weren't required). JMHO

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Western Traveler

@denver pilot
Welcome to the forum. My truck is listed in my signature. Manual says cables only and we know that isn't always the best. As to this public forum there are a few here a lot smarter than me. A few answered this post. They have saved me thousands with their advice and caused me to rethink my old TV in the short time I've been here. "Trust but Verify"
Small cow town living here. "Cowboy up and get er done" is more than just a saying and in my profession "Ships are safe in the harbor, but that is not what ships are for." Words To live by. As to return on investment, my rig is small on purpose and the return is being out there and not in a high end campground in my recliner with a hot toddy in my hand. Not that that is a bad thing, just not my thing.

Hank P I hadn't considered the clearance issue on the trailer. Maybe cables with a double set of tensioners.

Ken, that was my thought keeping the trailer on the road.

I have chained up my Willys jeep all around many times just not my trucks.

Hankaye thanks for the website good to have that info at hand. My biggest concern is just getting to a highway if I have to and not being locked behind a forest service gate for the winter.

Wylecoyotethat was my thought and the photos? Ya like that!

TS Smith thanks

Lots of good info to consider.

Last March I needed to tow some farm equipment on a flatbed to our town from just below Glacier. Loader arranged trailer set and it snows heavy through the night in the mountains. All went well till I traveled about 8 miles on flat ground as I enter a stop sign town I start slowing a 1/2 block away, stopped about a block down the road. Now I keep my disks from icing up if possible by touching the brakes from time to time.

King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Me and My Bride
Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Bluewater

My TV owners manual says not to use chains at all. They will void warranty and possibly damage ABS brake system. Same for my SUV.
Something to consider.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
gkainz

for my hunting trips (in Colorado)

- chains required conditions see http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251594537897

Colorado does not require chains on 4WD vehicles - see above. See other states information as appropriate.

Icy? I chain up rear drive wheels on TV, and cables on 1 axle of trailer
Really icy? pull over ... or add chains to front wheels and use 4x4

I've been many miles from pavement and had snow and ice storms come thru before we got out. For ice-covered gravel roads, I chain up both front and rear of my truck (rear for traction, front for steering 1st, traction 2nd) and cables on an axle of the trailer for braking - to keep the trailer in trail mode and not passing mode.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
antiqfreq

We were told by rangers when we went to their station NOT to put chains on our fifth wheel.

We had left pike peak area and wanted to go to Durango, Colorado..

We ended up taking long way around...and never got to Durango.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Western Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
for my hunting trips (in Colorado)
Icy? I chain up rear drive wheels on TV, and cables on 1 axle of trailer
Really icy? pull over ... or add chains to front wheels and use 4x4

I've been many miles from pavement and had snow and ice storms come thru before we got out. For ice-covered gravel roads, I chain up both front and rear of my truck (rear for traction, front for steering 1st, traction 2nd) and cables on an axle of the trailer for braking - to keep the trailer in trail mode and not passing mode.
Thanks, figured a few here have to be doing it.
Hope for the best plan for the worst...

King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Me and My Bride