Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
TWAMech

small generator connection site

I have a portable generator(1500/2000 watt non inverter) that I would like to connect to our 35ft - 50amp Montana 5th wheel. I know that this generator won't power the whole trailer. The purpose is to provide power for our microwave,TV etc.where no 30/50 amp service is available. It only has a 20 amp recepticle and 12 volt output. Question: do I have to plug the gen into the 50 amp recepticle at the back of the trailer or can I plug it into one of the outdoor 15 amp recepticles on the side of the trailer. If plugged in there, will it harm the onboard converter.
TWAMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAMech View Post
I have a portable generator(1500/2000 watt non inverter) that I would like to connect to our 35ft - 50amp Montana 5th wheel. I know that this generator won't power the whole trailer. The purpose is to provide power for our microwave,TV etc.where no 30/50 amp service is available. It only has a 20 amp recepticle and 12 volt output. Question: do I have to plug the gen into the 50 amp recepticle at the back of the trailer or can I plug it into one of the outdoor 15 amp recepticles on the side of the trailer. If plugged in there, will it harm the onboard converter.
Use the 50 amp service entry on the back of your trailer.

Get adaptors as necessary..

I have a yamaha 2800i which has a 30 amp "twist lock" on the side of the generator. Far right:

I use my regular 50-30 amp dogbone adaptor that I would use any any ordinary 30 amp campsite pedestal.....

Then plug that ^ into the RV-30 amp twistlock adaptor - into the generator.

To plug into the 15 amp outlet on the side of the RV, you would shave to back-feed the electricity.... To do that, you would have to have a double-male ended cord.... They call that a widow-maker.... Wanna guess why?? LOL... Not safe at all.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
LZScout

I don't think he has a 30 amp receptacle on his generator, only a 20 amp. I have dog bone adapters that will reduce my 50 amp down to 15 amp. Get those and connect your 50 amp supply cord to your generator.

Sent from my iPhone

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

twamech do not plug into the 120vac socket on the trailer. as SAD has told you. that is asking for trouble. get the adaptors and plug your shore power cable into your generator. and use the power wisely!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
TWAMech

connect generator

Thanks guys. You just confirmed what I suspected. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the 'widow maker'! That would be a shocking way to learn a hard lesson! I've found that the 50 to 30 dogbone is pretty pricey, but if thats what it takes to make this project work then so be it.
TWAMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's one for $21.74. You should (probably can) find one locally for close to that price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

I had to buy one at a campground last year as the only power post connections they had were 50 amp. I needed it to connect to my 30 amp RV cord. That was an expensive proposition at the campground store. I now have "one of every kind" in the front storage compartment. EBay and Amazon are "your friend" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Pmedic4

Backfeeding 120V

Even if you could safely ( without a widow maker - double male connection), it may not properly supply power to the converter to run your 12V accessories/lights. Probably depends upon the model of converter in your RV, but heard that issue previously.
Making an extension with the proper connectors isn't that difficult if you can't buy a pre-made one.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote