Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Mikecd

Poor battery set-up in Cougar X-Lite

We have a 2013 Cougar x-lite 21RBS with the aerodynamic fibreglass front cap and the propane tanks and battery inside the cap. I want to install 2 batteries because we camp without power most of the time. The trailer has a nice 8 inch by 22 inch frame for a double battery box, BUT the main trailer body behind the battery box slopes up and outwards slightly. I bought a very simple box for 2 6V batteries to fit in the space but the box for the golf cart batteries is too high so that it will not sit flat on the frame. The box for the type 24 deep cycle battery just fits in height and rests against the trailer body while sitting in the frame. Has anyone fit two batteries into one of these x-lite trailers? Any advice on a suitable box and battery combination to increase my available power and fit into this trailer design would be much appreciated.
Mikecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
ROLIN JOSEPH

I own a 21RBS and ran into the same problem when I first attempted to install two 6v Interstate batteries in series.
I finally gave up on the battery boxes and sat the batteries directly on the angle iron frame and tied them down with automotive braces.
I ran an entire season that way but intend to come up with something better next spring as I noticed that the 140lbs of the batteries is making the whole support sag.
I have a few ideas, but have not resolved the issue yet.
I will probably move the LP cylinders forward about 4 inches before rebuilding the whole new battery box.
Too bad we have to do all the thinking and engineering while they make all the money!

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
AlCorr

Look at the battery box I used, best price I could find and it fit in perfect.
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=alcorr
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery box, cougar x-lite