Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
kenn209

Tire going down

So I was checking pressures and noticed the right front tire looked low and it was 18lbs. We had just gotten back from a trip out and was getting ready for another. So I jacked it up took off the tire and.

So I crawled under after putting on the spare to look at the rear tire in case that wheel suffered some damage. Looks good all other pressures look good. I noticed on the right side tires the inside of the tire has significant wear. What would cause this? The left sides look like there are wearing ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0049.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1210  
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Tim&Patty

Tire going down

Ken,
Not sure what your asking, if the uneven wear on one side of your rv (axle allighment would be my quess) or the ouch to the rim in the attached photo (dude ya hit something and from the photo even looks like the rim is cracked)which show exposed bead, she'll never hold air.

Good Luck,
Tim

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
kenn209

Yeah probably one Virginia's famous potholes? Not sure. Yeah trying to find a wheel locally to replace. The other questions is separate from the first one. I just happen to notice the tire wear when checking the other tires. Could be camber adjust needed?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

Hi i read your post and looked at the picture. I'm confused. the rim looks bent impact damage. like a pothole that will wear a tire BUT if the picture is wrong you may need to look for a bent axle
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
kenn209

Sorry for all the confusion. The wheel is bent and cracked. Probably a pothole. I was checking the rear tire and noticed that both tires on the right side of the camper have wear on the inside treads of the tires.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
kenn209

So I wonder if there is camber adjustment on these trailers? That would fix the inside tread wear.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
f6bits

I’ve not seen anything that can be adjusted. It’s just like the rear axle of your truck. Leaf springs with brackets and a solid axle.

Since you mention that the inside of the right tires are worn, how are the outsides of the left tires?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
kenn209

Tires on the left are good, so far. I guess I need axle alignment?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
f6bits

If the left wheels act like they’re aligned, but the right wheels aren’t, I’d hate to think it’s a bent axle.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
jbutcher3

The wheel damage and the axle alignment are most likely a result of a single incedent. I'd find a good frame/axle shop to do some measurement and correct the problem, consider your insurance for help if this was an accident??? Tires, axle, alignment and wheel could be expense covered by your carrier.
Good luck, see you on the road soon.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
kenn209

So I took the camper to a trailer shop that supposed to specialize in this stuff, They found the passenger side rear drum full of grease. So this would indicate a blown seal? They are still checking to see what the issue could be.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
mtbkrdan

Kenn,
Last year our TT failed inspection because the grease seals failed and grease was all inside the electric brakes. The dealer mentioned that this is something that can't be planned and can occur at any time because we were a little upset that is was not discovered when we had it in there a few months earlier. Good luck with the fix.
mtbkrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkrdan View Post
Kenn,
Last year our TT failed inspection because the grease seals failed and grease was all inside the electric brakes. The dealer mentioned that this is something that can't be planned and can occur at any time because we were a little upset that is was not discovered when we had it in there a few months earlier. Good luck with the fix.
The only way to come close to preventing is annual inspections, if the drums are separate from the hub it is and easy chore.
Then again I do about 95% of my own maintenance, when I was young it was to save money now it more for therapy and to be sure the job is done right.

Great time to check the torque on the lugs.

Even if you need to pay, a good shop should be able to do four wheels in less than an hour, that would include doing a brake adjustment.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #14
kenn209

So Dexter came through and replace all my running gear as good will gesture since the camper had little miles on it. I got it back on Thurs. I had to pay the labor and freight charges to ship the old axles back so they can look at them and determine if it was a defect in them. I looked at the axles after they removed them and the rear one was flat. No camber at all. The front looked good. So now when I tow the rear tires are straight up and down. They said they were sending beefier axles but not sure. If they find a defect I get my money back. So not too bad the axles alone are around $650 each.

So what do ya'll think? Is no camber in an axle a defective axle?