Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
KenBob

Installing Dexter Kit on Fuzion 360

Did some research on upgrading the 360's leaf suspension. I called Dexter about their E-Z Flex equalizer system. Set K71-656-00 will fit, but is designed for axles up to 6000 lbs. Verified the 360 has 7000 lb axles. The issue is the 33" spacing between the axles on the 360 (and possibly others). Most 7000 lb axles are spaced at 35". I was "advised" not to use the 656 kit on the 360 as it was designed for 6k axles and premature failure of the equalizers could result. They have a kit that replaces the existing parts with greaseable parts. Eliminates the noise but no change in ride. Waiting for Lippert to start making the Trailair equalizers to see if they make them for triple axles again. Otherwise, not much in the way of suspension upgrades for the 360.

If trailair does not have a system for dexter triples, I may try the 656 system and see what happens.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
KenBob

Decided to get the Dexter EZ-Flex K71-656-00 for the Fuzion. Check the price from Nick's Truck Parts. Excellent customer service. Will have pics and editorial of the install in a couple weeks.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
KenBob

Installed the ex-flex today. Took two of us 3 hours to install on the triple axle 360. We were pretty much on a mission to git-r-done, so there are no pics. Basically it went like this install:

http://forums.motorhomemagazine.com/...ue/page/26.cfm

I used an old shackle bolt with the tabs gound off to remove/install the bushings. Put the new bushing on the bolt, then put the bolt in the old bushing. Used a hammer on the old bolt head, driving in the new bushing while pushing out the old. Used a ball joint press to push the new bolts in.
Used a hammer to knock the equalizer to frame bolts in. Ran into a challenge with the side to side level of the 360. Some adjustments to trailer jacked height and axle height needed to align spring bushings to shackles/equalizers.

From our view, it is a simple install for those with above average mechanical aptitude. However, it can be done by those with basic mechanical skills.

I had the 360 hitched. Jacking up one side of the 5er can lift one landing gear off the ground and putting stress on the other. Better to stress the opposite suspension.

The kit made the suspension quiet! My helper was amazed the difference from when I backed it into the work area and when I pulled it out. Silence!

Disclaimer:

I chose to install this Dexter kit. The 360 has 7000 lb axles and this kit is recommended for up to 6000 lb axles. I was told by Dexter this as well. The kit is for triple axle systems with 33" spacing which the 360 has. The original Dexter equalizers have the part number that matches up to the EZ-Flex equalizers. The kit fit perfectly. I am taking responsibility for any issues that result from the installation on my 360. I expect none. If anyone else decides to install a Dexter K71-656-00 kit on a 360 or any other triple axle RV that this kit will fit but is not recommended, does so at their own risk.

FYI....The OE equalizer system and hardware for the triple axle setup w/o nylon bushings is $81.50 direct from Lippert. Dexter has a part # for the actual kit but they do not have a price and show only the upgrade wet bolt kit. May be a manufacturer only kit. I wonder what Keystone pays for the kit? Bronze bushings are $1.75 and Nylon bushings are $2.22. (lippert)?????? The equalizers are made in China. The EZ-Flex parts in our kit were made in India.