Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
SoCalAngler

Jacking/Lifting Trailer for Wheel Bearing/Brake Service?

Hello-

Preparing to complete bearing service in the next few days.
Read owner's manual and it states, "Position a hydraulic jack on the frame close to the spring hanger."

I've also red of others using bottle jacks directly under axle U bolt shackles; perhaps their owner's manual suggested this.

When jacking, I would chock opposing wheels and may even attach tow vehicle for added support.

I have a tandem axle leaf spring set up, with an equalizer between each set of springs.
4400# AL-KO axles. My axles are BELOW leaf springs.

My frame has an underbelly cover and the frame is not completely exposed, (about an inch is exposed on outside edge), and rear axle hangers are several inches in front and about 15" at rear of where I could jack at frame (due to obstructions one frame).

Are there other SAFE options?

NOTE: The trailer will have to be lifted and supported for a few days while I work on bearings/brakes; one side at a time.

Also, where should jack stand be placed? This is not mentioned in owners manual.

What about those plastic wedge aids that you drive trailer onto? I've read mixed reviews about their ability to raise adjacent wheel off ground high enough to remove a flat tire. Read that they are only good for torsion axles and NOT for spring axles.

I can also make set of wood wedges using cut sections of 2"x6" that would work the same way as the plastic ones....but this may not work since the plastic ones appear not made for leaf spring axles.

Also, found this....https://bottlejackbuddy.net/

My jacking goal is to jack up at home and on road safely. Jacking would be for... changing a flat tire, servicing bearings and brakes, or performing other axle/spring work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT U bolts.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	41809   Click image for larger version

Name:	TT Equalizer.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	41810  
Old 09-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #2
Canonman

I've used the shackles before with no problems. What you don't want to do is use the axel tube...ever...
On the road you might try one of these: https://www.campingworld.com/camco-t...E&gclsrc=aw.ds.
Makes a bad job a little easier
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	010867_1.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	41808  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
travelin texans

A jack under the U bolts is a perfect spot as long as the jack fits securely. Most times jack from the frame to get the tires off the ground will require lots of blocks & a tall jack, I didn't haul that much blocking.
If by chance you have the auto level system use it to raise the tires, they are designed to support much more weight than you'll have on them while packing bearings on either side.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
SoCalAngler

Since my axles are BELOW the leaf springs (post edited with text and pics), shackle plate is on top of axle. The jack would be directly against axle tube, which is a no-no.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:22 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Using a bottle jack isn’t recommended or safe, we use floor jacks all the time on the axle at the spring mount. If you look, you’ll find most newer trailers are axle BELOW the springs

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:01 PM   #6
SoCalAngler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Using a bottle jack isn’t recommended or safe, we use floor jacks all the time on the axle at the spring mount. If you look, you’ll find most newer trailers are axle BELOW the springs
Are you saying floor jack lifting saddle is placed under axle-directly underneath the two U bolts (in my pic)? I've heard never lift under axle as it can bend the axle.

Never thought much about this when I lift my boat trailer axles, but those axles are above the leaf springs and I would lift directly under u-bolt plates.

Don't want to damage anything when lifting.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If you lift in the middle of the axle you will bend the tube. If you lift at the point where the springs are attached (between the U bolts) it won’t bend the axle.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #8
SoCalAngler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you lift in the middle of the axle you will bend the tube. If you lift at the point where the springs are attached (between the U bolts) it won’t bend the axle.
My axles are below springs. In pics you see that only the U bolt is what is on bottom portion of axles. I would have to jack right at these U bolts, beteeen them if jack saddle will fit, or just inside of them.

I also have to see where jack stands can be placed, since the jack will be where I wanted to place stands.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:29 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I am willing to bet that about 90% of the travel trailers on the road have the axles BELOW the springs.

Back in the day, we would do “axle flips” to gain trailer clearance. Today it seems that they are already flipped.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:18 PM   #10
bsmith0404

Yes you can Jack the trailer up under the axle where the spring mounts are as already mentioned. As for Jack stands, go to autozone, Harbor Freiht or whatever you have locally and get a set of heavy duty 6 ton Jack stands. Yes, they are way overkill weight wise, but they’re also much taller than the 2 ton stands. I believe they extend up to 24”. You can place them under the frame ahead and behind the shackle hangers. Knowing which frame you have will help, do you have an I beam or a Z frame. If it’s an I beam, what you see on the outside is repeated on the inside so you have a nice wide base. If you have a z frame, what you see on the outside is all yheee is, just make sure you have the stand positioned where it’s stable and won’t slip off. Hope that makes sense. If you aren’t sure, you can always drop the colorplast down a bit so you can see the inside of the frame.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:16 AM   #11
gearhead

A floor Jack where the U bolts are will be fine. I don’t like using a bottle jack because the contact area is so small. However, someone makes and sells a saddle that fits the top of a bottle jack.
The Trailer Aid works well too. If you are buying one, get the plus model, it lifts a little higher. If that’s not high enough you can slip a board under it. I’ve used it for bearing maintenance, did well.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:46 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

While floor jack is more stable than a bottle jack never trust ANY jack when working under any vehicle. Always work on a stable surface (concrete or blacktop), and use jack stands under the suspension or frame. I have the trailer-aid plus and it works well for me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:16 PM   #13
SoCalAngler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
A floor Jack where the U bolts are will be fine. I don’t like using a bottle jack because the contact area is so small. However, someone makes and sells a saddle that fits the top of a bottle jack.
The Trailer Aid works well too. If you are buying one, get the plus model, it lifts a little higher. If that’s not high enough you can slip a board under it. I’ve used it for bearing maintenance, did well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
While floor jack is more stable than a bottle jack never trust ANY jack when working under any vehicle. Always work on a stable surface (concrete or blacktop), and use jack stands under the suspension or frame. I have the trailer-aid plus and it works well for me.
Do both of you successfully use the Trailer Aid Plus with leaf spring axles? I've read the TAP only works with torsion axles.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2022, 02:47 PM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
Do both of you successfully use the Trailer Aid Plus with leaf spring axles? I've read the TAP only works with torsion axles.

Thanks
Leaf springs on mine.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:55 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not who you quoted but the Trailer Aid, Trailer Aid plus and Andersen Rapid Jack all work with leaf axles. As was stated the regular Trailer Aid may very well have to have a block put under it to raise the tire high enough. btdt
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:52 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks
Don't know where you may have read that. I've never seen, nor even heard this before. Yes, tandem axle leaf springs on the 3 trailers that I've used it on.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:34 PM   #17
SoCalAngler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't know where you may have read that. I've never seen, nor even heard this before. Yes, tandem axle leaf springs on the 3 trailers that I've used it on.
From product description:

Product Description
Camco's Trailer Aid Plus is the fast, safe, and easy way to change a trailer tire on a tandem wheeled trailer. You pull the good tire up onto Trailer Aid Plus in order to raise the flat tire up 5.5 inches for changing. Trailer Aid Plus lifts 1 inch higher than our original Trailer Aid, making it perfect for routine maintenance on RV trailers; this tool even lets you change a flat tire on your horse trailer without removing your horses. Moreover, it is quite user-friendly and easy to store away when not in use. Please note that this product will not work with trailers with narrow axles with equalizing leaf springs or axles with spacing greater than 36 inches axle to axle. Camco has been creating your favorite outdoor products like camper accessories, horse trailer accessories, and trailer accessories since 1966, earning a reputation for providing superior goods with high customer approval.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:02 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
From product description:

Product Description
Camco's Trailer Aid Plus is the fast, safe, and easy way to change a trailer tire on a tandem wheeled trailer. You pull the good tire up onto Trailer Aid Plus in order to raise the flat tire up 5.5 inches for changing. Trailer Aid Plus lifts 1 inch higher than our original Trailer Aid, making it perfect for routine maintenance on RV trailers; this tool even lets you change a flat tire on your horse trailer without removing your horses. Moreover, it is quite user-friendly and easy to store away when not in use. Please note that this product will not work with trailers with narrow axles with equalizing leaf springs or axles with spacing greater than 36 inches axle to axle. Camco has been creating your favorite outdoor products like camper accessories, horse trailer accessories, and trailer accessories since 1966, earning a reputation for providing superior goods with high customer approval.
That's a very specific exception, not a blanket "won't work with leaf springs" declaration.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:15 AM   #19
ChuckS

Just place the floor Jack under the axle where the the u bolts are and Jack the thing and get the work done you need to..

You are not gonna bend an axle and screw up the pre end camber by doing it this way.

I have done it this way for decades and never had an axle issue.. period

The owners manual and axle maker ( usually Dexter) all publish CYA statements and so in the end you would have to carry half a trees worth of blocks to Jack at the frame .. which in its self could be dangerous if all that cribbage slips..

Image from my nine year old Alpine.both Dexter axles still have the factory present camber as they did from day one

Since I have a six point hyd leveling system I also lift all four tires off at once and do brake and bearing work this way
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C113916B-A4B8-4A0C-99F8-1E9F2452EE65.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	41827  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #20
Canonman

The Trailer Aid I referred to is the newer, taller version. It simply raises the good tire high enough to to also bring the flat tire off the ground. The idea is to have a simple, easy way to change a flat tire on the road. I used a floor jack and once a bottle jack in the driveway to do bearing work. I've not used the trailer aid since buying our Cougar. Never had a flat.
Plus, the Cougar has the leveling option that can raise the wheel without a separate jack.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote