Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #1
Johnny406

Low Water Pressure in Bathroom with tank water

Gentlemen,

I'm having a strange low water pressure problem in the bathroom with my Keystone built 2016 Coleman Lantern trailer.

It's a new trailer to us, tank water pressure at the kitchen sink is great but it is very low in the bathroom for the sink, shower and toilet. Hot water pressure is fine for the sink and shower.

Hooked up to city water, all water pressure is great. I have all the panels off, no sign of a filter and no leaks inside or outside the trailer. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Could be a partially kinked water line that’s feeding the bathroom area. You say you looked for leaks, I’d double and tripper check that. Does the water pump build pressure and shut off when all the faucets are closed or does it cycle every few seconds?

Btw, I thought Coleman was made by Dutchmen, which is owned by Thor. Thor also owns Keystone and Jayco and many other brands. I didn’t recall keystone building Coleman Lantern. Then again, they’re all under the same umbrella.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
Johnny406

It was a real PITA getting the loan to buy this trailer because the title, like the specs sticker says it's a Keystone.

I have looked and/or felt every inch possible of the blue cold water line. I have also bypassed the h/w heater just to do it.On the outside there are two lines (hot/cold) that I assume would be for the outside shower that the trailer doesn't have.

With that line open and the waterpump running, it's just a trickle. I then disconnected the waterpump feed hose and blew air with the compressor from the outside line and sprayed all the water still present out. I didn't find any smoking gun debris but I put it all back together and still the same thing.

The waterpump stops cycling as it should. Everything works fine with citywater as well.

Should I either drop the black tank or pull out the tub to see if the line is somehow kinked?
Old 07-22-2022, 05:31 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny406 View Post
Gentlemen,

I'm having a strange low water pressure problem in the bathroom with my Keystone built 2016 Coleman Lantern trailer.

It's a new trailer to us, tank water pressure at the kitchen sink is great but it is very low in the bathroom for the sink, shower and toilet. Hot water pressure is fine for the sink and shower.

Hooked up to city water, all water pressure is great. I have all the panels off, no sign of a filter and no leaks inside or outside the trailer. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
Water pressure is water pressure irregardless of the source. What is the pressure of the city water? If it's 50 psi or below than the water pump may be weak. It the city water pressure is very high say over 60 psi then it may be pushing open a pinched line. In any case you should by a doog, adjustable pressure regulator for the city water hose connection.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:48 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny406 View Post
Should I either drop the black tank or pull out the tub to see if the line is somehow kinked?
If the cold side is good on city water then the line probably isn’t kinked, pex will either kink or won’t, it would take a huge difference in pressure.

Have you disconnected the supply at the faucet? You should have an access hole in the shower pan to access the drain, a flashlight and mirror should allow you to inspect for water lines.

I have a cheap pressure gauge with a 1/2” male fitting that screws onto the end of the supply line so I can read the pressure. It can help rule out the faucet valve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:58 PM   #6
skids

Do you think a piece of plastic could be blocking the FW tank outlet?
Old 07-22-2022, 06:02 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Do you think a piece of plastic could be blocking the FW tank outlet?
If it was he would have low pressure on both hot and cold. He said cold side in the bathroom is the issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:11 PM   #8
Johnny406

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If it was he would have low pressure on both hot and cold. He said cold side in the bathroom is the issue.
Correct, cold tank water pressure is low on the bathroom sink, toilet, bath/shower, outside kitchen and the blue line that would've attached to the outside shower if there was one.

If I hook up "city water" everything works as it should, only on the tank (completely full) do I have issues.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:16 PM   #9
bsmith0404

This one is strange. The water lines are all the same, doesn’t matter if you’re on city or pump. I’m trying to think of there is something that could be causing low pressure from the pump. Are the ones you’re having problem the furthest away from the pump? It shouldn’t matter if the pump is building and holding pressure, all of the lines should have equal pressure. Maybe it is a weak pump, getting a pressure reading on the lines could help determine that, but just seems strange that it would build enough pressure for the other faucets.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:34 AM   #10
Johnny406

Since the pump obnoxiously loud, I just bought a new/upgrade one. I'm going to pull the old pump out, blow out all the lines (again) and see what happens. I hate troubleshooting by replacing parts but...
Old 07-24-2022, 06:36 AM   #11
Johnny406

The new pump fixed the problem though I don't know why. It makes sense that pump couple push water to the nearest faucet just above it and it couldn't make enough pressure to overcome the resistance to the other waterpoints...except this was a cold water problem, not a hot water problem. I even had the heater bypass engaged blocking off the h/w heater and I still had adequate pressure at the shower/sink.

Things that make you go hmm...

Thank you all for your support and suggestions!!

Tags
tank, water, water pressure