Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2022, 10:36 AM   #1
bsmith0404

Is There a Fuel Shortage?

I don’t know if it’s just a trend because others have posted videos or if this is actually becoming a real issue. I’ve been starting to see more and more videos on social media about fuel stations being out of fuel. Is this just an east coast concern or is it spreading west? Today I saw a video of a Loves truck stop where almost every pump was shut down and a trucker stating he’s seen this in several states. Doesn’t say where he’s at. I personally have not seen this where I’m at.

We’re leaving in about 1.5 weeks for a month long trip. I typically start looking for fuel stops when I get to 1/4-3/8 of a tank, that’s still 100-150 mile range. There’s never been an issue getting fuel. I think I’ll be adjusting that to fueling up anytime I get down to 1/2 tank.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:42 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Only shortage out this way is the money needed to buy fuel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I don’t know if it’s just a trend because others have posted videos or if this is actually becoming a real issue. I’ve been starting to see more and more videos on social media about fuel stations being out of fuel. Is this just an east coast concern or is it spreading west? Today I saw a video of a Loves truck stop where almost every pump was shut down and a trucker stating he’s seen this in several states. Doesn’t say where he’s at. I personally have not seen this where I’m at.

We’re leaving in about 1.5 weeks for a month long trip. I typically start looking for fuel stops when I get to 1/4-3/8 of a tank, that’s still 100-150 mile range. There’s never been an issue getting fuel. I think I’ll be adjusting that to fueling up anytime I get down to 1/2 tank.
We've driven from AZ to FL over the course of 1.5 months. Not one place was out of fuel. Social media is the last place to get news, let alone truthful news. Go on your trip and have fun. If you want to be a little more cautious, fill up at the half tank so that you have greater time to find the best gas/diesel stop for you.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Only problem here is restarting the pump every $100.00
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
Badbart56

Walmart (Murphy Oil) near me was out this afternoon. That's a first here. We run a route in the semi from Kentucky to Florida and have had no issues as of yet at truck stops though.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Did some more digging, several articles out there over the past two weeks concerning fuel shortages. The biggest concern seem to be in the northeast. Apparently reserve levels are at all time lows in the past 30 years. The refineries are trying to pump as much fuel as they can up there, but summer demands outweigh what they can provide. I haven’t seen it out west and just completed a trip from NM to GA, down to FL and back to NM. Didn’t see any issue other than price. I know social media isn’t the. Eat place to get the news, but when you see a video at a major truck stop with 90% of the pumps out of order, that’s cause for concern, even if it’s on social media.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
gearhead

I pulled into a Chevron here in town (Southeast Texas) and about half the pumps were shutdown. Not sure if it was a low inventory issue or something else.
Yep, right here in the orbit of the refining epicenter of the universe.
What I read and hear the refineries are running at 95% of nameplate capacities', which is quite an accomplishment. More of this sustained hot weather and there will likely be some crashes and cutbacks. The cooling water towers and makeup can't lower the water temps. We used to put fire monitors on exchangers to help. Only so much you can do and still stay on spec.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:12 PM   #8
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I pulled into a Chevron here in town (Southeast Texas) and about half the pumps were shutdown. Not sure if it was a low inventory issue or something else.
Yep, right here in the orbit of the refining epicenter of the universe.
What I read and hear the refineries are running at 95% of nameplate capacities', which is quite an accomplishment. More of this sustained hot weather and there will likely be some crashes and cutbacks. The cooling water towers and makeup can't lower the water temps. We used to put fire monitors on exchangers to help. Only so much you can do and still stay on spec.
Things that make you scratch your head. I’ve noticed a lot fewer racers traveling in from out of state for big races this year as well. We have a big 360 non winged race tonight, hope there’s some good out of state guys and not just a bunch of the locals pulling the wings off their 305s.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:13 PM   #9
dutchmensport

I made a comment to my wife just this morning as we were driving from a campground back to our house about how much traffic there is, and I don't see any indication of anyone being concerned about rising fuel prices. I said, in fact, it's almost as if everyone is deliberately NOT being conservative with their personal finances, fuel usage, or anything else. Everyone appears to be driving like, "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!" attitude.

Based on what I've experienced on the road over the last 3 months, there's no shortage... and definitely no shortage with cash or credit to purchase fuel at any cost. It seems the higher the fuel prices get, the MORE traffic is on the road. Has anyone notice how many, many, many 18 wheeler semi-trucks are on the roads! At prices $6.00 a gallon for diesel, how in the world is anyone able to keep driving on the roads!

I saw a news clip on television of the traffic around Indianapolis after an accident closed one side of I-465 for a while. They showed an ariel shot of the traffic below and as far as the image could show, it was semi-truck after semi-truck, bumper to bumper with VERY few passenger cars out there!

I'm sorry, I just don't get it!
Old 06-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I guess the plan of making fuel prices so unaffordable isn't working for certain social designers. Looks like their next step is "shortages ".
Your training for your "new America" has just been kicked up a notch.
Note: This post mentions no political affiliations.
We will see what it's lifespan is.
You are correct, this post mentions no political affiliations, but can easily be the trigger to posts that do take that direction.....

Just a word of caution (not a warning... yet) that if it does become political, it's going to be a "historical thread" on the first political comment.....

We're in North Carolina and gas is cheaper (by 50 cents a gallon) than in Michigan. The only "shortage" is credit card limits or cash.....

now back to your "regular program".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:23 PM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I made a comment to my wife just this morning as we were driving from a campground back to our house about how much traffic there is, and I don't see any indication of anyone being concerned about rising fuel prices. I said, in fact, it's almost as if everyone is deliberately NOT being conservative with their personal finances, fuel usage, or anything else. Everyone appears to be driving like, "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!" attitude.

Based on what I've experienced on the road over the last 3 months, there's no shortage... and definitely no shortage with cash or credit to purchase fuel at any cost. It seems the higher the fuel prices get, the MORE traffic is on the road. Has anyone notice how many, many, many 18 wheeler semi-trucks are on the roads! At prices $6.00 a gallon for diesel, how in the world is anyone able to keep driving on the roads!

I saw a news clip on television of the traffic around Indianapolis after an accident closed one side of I-465 for a while. They showed an ariel shot of the traffic below and as far as the image could show, it was semi-truck after semi-truck, bumper to bumper with VERY few passenger cars out there!

I'm sorry, I just don't get it!
The semis are out there because of pressure to deliver goods. They’re charging more per mile rates to compensate for prices. Big companies like Swift increased driver pay in an attempt to get more drivers. They’re still making big profits even with fuel costs, we’re paying for it at the checkout. It’s the independent guy that’s hurting. It seems like people were penned up for so long with the pandemic that they’ve just said the heck with cost, we’re going or we’re buying. I compare it to a new restaurant opening. We recently got a local Popeyes, the drive through line was over a block long for over a month as people just had to have it. Now the line is 2-3 cars. It makes me wonder how long this “surge” to get out is going to last.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #12
dutchmensport

Quote:
... It seems like people were penned up for so long with the pandemic that they’ve just said the heck with cost, we’re going or we’re buying. ...
That's amazing, because that is the exact same answer my wife said to me.

I suppose I don't feel the same way though. Last year when both of the companies we work for shut the doors and had us work from home, we took the work from home on the road. We traveled during the pandemic from campground to campground, state to state, as long as we could get internet service, we both worked from the camper. We were hardly ever home, but we did stay secluded and didn't socialize either. We never were affected by any of the pandemic, never got sick, and that year was the best year of our lives. Getting shut out of our office was the best thing that could have happened. So, I suppose, we never experienced the isolation or the penned up feeling like so many other experienced. We were fortunate in that respect. We also took a lot of risk traveling, not knowing what the near future (both the political and the pandemic future) held. Everything worked out fantastic. So, maybe that's why my perspective on things is a bit different.

FYI. I retired in January, we are still traveling, pretty much unlimited, just staying a little longer and not traveling as far between campgrounds now.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:56 PM   #13
bsmith0404

Congrats on your retirement. I finally decided to retire from my second life (not really a retirement, just quit and become a retired vet) in April of 2021. We spent a lot of time dry camping in the local national forests away from everything and everyone last year. Right now, we’re starting to feel penned up, we had planned a big month long trip that we’re leaving on soon, but planned to do a lot of 4-5 day trip in the national forest until then. With all the heat and fire hazards, everything local is shut down. My wife had surgery and couldn’t deal with long travel days until recently. We’ve been sitting around doing nothing. I understand the penned up feeling.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:19 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
How do you dance around this subject and not get "political"? It is a fine line I know.
Me and Steven Tyler "Livin on the Edge" I guess.
RMc

Just give your knowledge of the subject given the question "is there a fuel shortage" and stay on point. After that bite your tongue. I find it works pretty well but have to do it quite often. I keep a box of napkins on my desk to wipe up the blood.....of course DW says she can hardly understand me anymore.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:22 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Gotta like livin on the edge and getting away with it I’m still trying to figure out the difference between a word of caution and a warning. If the thread gets shut down on the first political post, when does it become a warning? I sure hope I don’t lose sleep over that.

The caution is gently worded in the community rules - it is also a warning. In that vein the warning is there before the post is made. Shut down on the first political post? Depends on the post and the value of the thread. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.....it's taken care of.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #16
travelin texans

Just spent 3 weeks 3000+ miles making a big circle starting in Arizona to Houston, east Texas, OKC, Texas panhandle, to Denver area & back to Arizona mostly traveling backroads not interstates & found no shortages with average price of $4.59 til Colorado where fuel increased to minimum of $4.95 & hotels up about $50 per night.

Updates.
Got home to southern Arizona & gas is $5.95 near home which a $1+ more than when we left 3 weeks ago & a $1+ more than we averaged the entire 3000+ mile trip.
It's Got to stop some time!!
Just read an article that Ford will have a big 8ncrease in the prices of their EVs due to the supply/demand shortage of lithium required for the batteries, too many EV companies needed it & can't mine enough fast enough.
I wonder if lithium will be like gold, silver & copper that the source depletes quickly making it extremely valuable to the point EVs will be do expensive only the Elon Musks of the world out can buy them
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:14 AM   #17
RickV

I have been in the Northeast for almost a month now. I haven't seen any shortages except in my checking account . I do check along my route for the best prices using the TSD, Gas Buddy and Mudflap apps. We are in Twin Mountain NH and prices are right at $6.00. The good thing is we are here for 2 weeks so I won't have to fill up until we move on to Maine.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:53 AM   #18
Badbart56

Stand by.

https://needtoknow.news/2022/06/unio...-gas-stations/

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:54 AM   #19
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
They are acting like Taggart Transcontinental Railroad if anyone knows what am referring to.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:26 AM   #20
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
They are acting like Taggart Transcontinental Railroad if anyone knows what am referring to.
That whole novel is going to be playing out in the next months, years.

Latest news has trucking companies concerned about diesel shortages on the east coast. Especially at the interstate island fuel stations. I have a trip planned (from PA) to Maine in Aug. Starting to get concerned.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel