Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2022, 08:24 PM   #1
flugelboneman

Kill switch

Just acquired Cougar 27 RES: Previous RV had a kill switch at single battery to kill all power when not using trailer. In the Courgar there is this miraculous console that operates just about everything in the trailer. QUESTION: Is there a part of this console that will shut all power down like a kill switch. Or, is there a kill switch built in to this unit.

SECOND QUESTION: Have always had a single large battery. This unit has two small batteries hooked in series. If using a kill switch in this configuration, is it only necessary to interrupt the current on one of the batteries, or do you have to kill both.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:58 PM   #2
bsmith0404

You should have a battery disconnect (what you would call a killl switch). Normally they’re near the battery, in the water docking station, or in the pass through compartment. It’s a red t-handle or key. It’ll shut down most of the 12v items in the trailer. A few things may still work, usually the Jack or leveling system, depending on the trailer, sometimes the slides and awning. If I remember correctly, it’ll cut the power to the in-command you’re talking about as well. The in-command does not have a feature built in to cut power to everything.

As for your second question, the batteries are wired together and act as one, then the power goes to the trailer. Battery disconnects are between the battery and the trailer components, so killing one effectively kills them both

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:34 AM   #3
jxnbbl

On the Keystones produced over the last year or two they started installing these too. Giggy box
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:55 AM   #4
flugelboneman

Thx Brent for the info.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:36 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

According to your profile your trailer is a 2019. If you just acquired it then there's been a previous owner. We have no way of knowing what or if a PO may have altered or installed. If you have 2 batteries wired in series then should be two six volt batteries and a disconnect PROPERLY wired should disconnect both batteries. My advice is to take some pictures and post them and it will help us help you.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:25 AM   #6
Weldon

I added one to our box a year plus ago. I think it came from either HF or Amazon. Just silicone or caulk around where you mount iit. There are several posts on here about installing them. Also added a 2nd battery box to hold small propane tanks. I use them for my grill and Blackstone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220608_072106.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	40132   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220608_071848.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	40133  
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote