Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
bsmith0404

LP Quick Connects

I finally completed the upgrade I’ve been threatening to do for 5+ years. Many Alpines, especially the older ones like mine, didn’t come with LP quick connects. I always set my camp chef and grill up near the back of the RV. I don’t carry extra LP tanks with me, I would just pull one from the RV. My old grill used the small green bottles. Last year I upgraded to a larger grill that uses a regulator/LP tank. That created a new problem, can’t pull both tanks off the RV, so it was either get a pigtail so I could connect both to one tank or bring along an extra tank. Good reason to finally install the LP quick connects. I split into the existing LP line where it connects to the line for the furnace. Shopping list included:
16’ of 1/2” black gas pipe (10’ and 6’)
2- T fittings
2- 90 degree elbows
1- coupler
3- 1” nipples
2- 12” black pipe
2- LP gas valves
2-1/2”-3/8” adapters
2- LP quick connects
2- 10’ LP hoses with quick connects.
Metal banding to secure pipe to underbelly.
Self tapping screws

About a 2 hour job. No more pulling tanks or bringing extra tanks, just plug in and ready to go. Why did I wait soooo long to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	769BBB56-5F0F-4C71-A6E3-9B2743DC12FA.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	39918   Click image for larger version

Name:	413D1416-27A2-4D73-97DA-CE7A7BFB7ACA.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	39919  
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
Camping family

Makes it easy doesn’t it. Nice clean job
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Makes it easy doesn’t it. Nice clean job
Thank you. And yes, a world of a difference. Even packing the grill and camp chef up is easier now that I don’t have the regulator on them.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:51 AM   #4
jxnbbl

Looks Great!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:12 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Does your camping stove actually work using the quick connects? Reason I'm asking, is because they are connected to your gas line "after" the regulator, which reduces the pressure to a low pressure. A lot of camping stoves (Coleman especially), will not work if connected after the camper propane regulator.

Because of this, I've never been able to use my quick connect. I still carry an extra propane bottle for the stove.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:14 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Does your camping stove actually work using the quick connects? Reason I'm asking, is because they are connected to your gas line "after" the regulator, which reduces the pressure to a low pressure. A lot of camping stoves (Coleman especially), will not work if connected after the camper propane regulator.

Because of this, I've never been able to use my quick connect. I still carry an extra propane bottle for the stove.
You cannot use a gas device with a regulator on a gas line that already regulated. The low pressure gas will not be able to overcome the spring pressure in a high pressure regulator. You must remove the regulator on the "direct to tank" connection. This is easily done if the regulator is on the hose by replacing the hose. A lot of those are 3/8" flare fitting to the hose so an LP hose with 3/8" female flare on end and a 1/4" male QC on the other will do the trick.

A device with the control knob built into the regulator cannot be converted. That style has the burner control built into the regulater. That style is typically found on appliances designed for the 1 lb disposable LP cylinder use and the regulator is what the 1 lb bottle screws into. Years ago we had a Coleman Road Trip grill that I converted but is was more complicated because the disposable tank fitting screwed into the grill with a non-standard fitting. I cut the regulator off of the pipe and welded a 1/4" pipe thread fitting to it so I could attach a QC fitting. I don't advise doing that if you're not proficient at welding or brazing small objects made of dissimilar metals.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:16 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

Yes. I had everything connected and working after I completed the job. Rv furnace, RV stove, refrigerator, grill, and camp Chef all on and working at the same time. I did have to remove the regulators that are in the Camp Chef and grill because the RV regulator would have created a double regulator situation.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:44 PM   #8
Socaldave

I just did my 2018 Passport this week. It has the outdoor stove but it was a 3/8" gas quick disconnect and the 22" Blackstone I purchase was 1/4. Bought a retrofit QD and just extended the QD further out... A breeze to connect now. Actually seasoned my BS this evening while enjoying a couple of adult beverages.