Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #21
travelin texans

Same as gearhead, 3rd generation oil field related retiree!
I'm sure he's seen or been around some of the absolutely ridiculous rules/regulations set forth by government agencies that for the most part just cost those companies lots of money to comply, do you honestly think they, or any company, would just absorb those costs, hell no they pass them on to the customers.
Not defending any oil company, but just like Walmart, all the retail businesses, the cost of EVERYTHING has risen by at least 30%, items such as fuel nearer 100%, in the past couple years, hopefully in the very near future it will/has to stop.
If everyone in the country is broke (just about there now) they can't pay taxes, at some point there's no more $$ to give away, then where are we? Fuel prices won't matter much!
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-16-2022, 08:47 AM   #22
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i’ve been wondering about fuel delivery to different places …do the trucks that deliver fuel to service stations have to pay the same price for diesel fuel ? and that cost is passed on to consumers at the market price ?

seems like the distributor would have a deal worked out with the oil company’s for fixed fuel costs similar to how airlines do it..just a random question
No clue.
But Delta bought a refinery a few years ago to presumably cut the costs from a middle man. I think they ended up selling it though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 05-16-2022, 05:04 PM   #23
gearhead

Just as I was posting the tomato comparison my Ameriprise advisor called to BS about where we are and where we're going. I asked about the gorilla in the room, Recession. He says that the economy is actually doing great, and he doesn't think there will be a recession until after the first of the year. Of course his opinion is like elbows, everyone has at least one. My aggressive portfolio is beating safe positions because rising interest rates devalue bond prices.
So buy gold for Christmas!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 05-16-2022, 05:39 PM   #24
Javi

$346 to fill the dually tonight one tank was 3/4 full to start with
Old 05-17-2022, 03:25 AM   #25
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
$346 to fill the dually tonight one tank was 3/4 full to start with
Wow!! Do you have Semi Tanks I spent $171 the other day to put 34 gallons in got it for $5.02 with my TSD card.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
Old 05-17-2022, 04:40 AM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Wow!! Do you have Semi Tanks I spent $171 the other day to put 34 gallons in got it for $5.02 with my TSD card.
37 gallon front tank and 63 gallon aux.. front tank was 3/4 full..

$5.09
Old 05-22-2022, 07:12 AM   #27
falcondan95705

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Filled up in Moundsville, WV yesterday @Walmart. Diesel was $5.27/gal. I'd glady pay more if they bought some damned asphalt and patched the pot holes. I'm not asking for much, not saying repave but Jeez, at least fill a pot hole every 50 years or so.
Was On 50 yesterday..Road is very bad. It seems there has been ALOT of money given to the States for Roads.. Happened several years ago. 800 billion for infrastructure and I don't see any roads being repaired. Just patched. We have had now 3.5 trillion for roads an again I see NO ripping out the bad roads and redoing them. All the money built into gas for roads an the roads are Not being done.. I have seen this movie before...ON 50 between Sacramento and Tahoe, Diesel 6.99 or 7.00 per gallon.. This is insane..We usually take trips.. Not this year..
Old 05-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #28
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'm having a hard time squaring this whole fuel price increase. Almost all of the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) consumed in the US is produced and refined in the US. In 2020 we produced about 1.66 billion barrels and consumed 1.37 billion barrels which allowed us to export .37 billion barrels.
So here's my problem, if we import little if any USLD and the cost of production and refining hasn't increased nearly as much as the retail price, then why has the price increased to the point that it has?? And, why is there a shortage in the US anyway??
Here's my only answer: "Exxon’s Q1 2022 net income is $2.954 billion higher than the same time period in 2021. [ExxonMobil, Press Release, 04/29/22]"
"Chevron made $4.879 billion more in Q1 2022 than the same time in 2021. [Chevron, Press Release, 04/29/22]"
Anybody else think "Big Oil" is taking advantage of the world price to inflate the value of their products??
I'll go get some popcorn now
Exactly right!! Maybe they need fewer subsidies and more taxes.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:30 AM   #29
dmfrosty

Thought I was the only one🤣
Old 05-22-2022, 07:43 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondan95705 View Post
Was On 50 yesterday..Road is very bad. It seems there has been ALOT of money given to the States for Roads.. Happened several years ago. 800 billion for infrastructure and I don't see any roads being repaired. Just patched. We have had now 3.5 trillion for roads an again I see NO ripping out the bad roads and redoing them. All the money built into gas for roads an the roads are Not being done.. I have seen this movie before...ON 50 between Sacramento and Tahoe, Diesel 6.99 or 7.00 per gallon.. This is insane..We usually take trips.. Not this year..
I was so disappointed in the roads this last trip in MD, WV. and PA , the 3 states we traveled in. Even the few new bridges had ridiculous approach/departure aprons. Exorbitant costs, terrible roads, no baby formula, and shortages of all manner. Before we left I stopped at a Dollar General store to get some water. No gallon bottles and the price I paid for a case of water would have paid for a case of soft drinks not that long ago. Looking thru the store I'd sat at least 30% of the shelves were empty and the reach in coolers & freezers were completly bare.

I feel like this country has slipped to a second if not third world status in many regards. Not a political statement by any means. Sticktly my own observation and opinion. YMMV
Old 05-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #31
kidyounger

diesel price

I know this probably would never happen, but if everyone in the USA for one day didn't buy gas or diesel, it would really hurt the oil industry. As long as we keep buying they'll keep raising the price. Payed 5.15@gal here in Texas. I'm canceling my trips for now. We'll see what happens as the summer goes on. They want electric cars on the road.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:20 AM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyounger View Post
I know this probably would never happen, but if everyone in the USA for one day didn't buy gas or diesel, it would really hurt the oil industry. As long as we keep buying they'll keep raising the price. Payed 5.15@gal here in Texas. I'm canceling my trips for now. We'll see what happens as the summer goes on. They want electric cars on the road.

There are a lot of things causing our problems right now but the oil industry isn't one of them.....at least not from their own doing. And referencing the statement in red, yes there is a small number of folks that want everyone in an electric car at any cost....but it's not the oil companies.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:25 AM   #33
adeakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-67X View Post
It's concerning...unnerving- all that. I'm not gonna drop to my knees in fear, but you can't just shut everything down, get "involved" in another stupid conflict where all the machines run on diesel, and expect to maintain supply- that not considering all the other supply chain disruptions. $5.499 here yesterday, and I keep asking myself why I didn't add an aux tank or swap my main for a larger capacity one when I was first considering it- about a $1.00 less per gallon ago. Dang hindsight...having a few 5 gallon jugs in rotation is small comfort...

Still- I have previously never let the cost of fuel override my recreation plans. Done it before- cut back elsewhere. Since I only eat meat nowadays, I can be fine on one meal a day and that is saving me significant dollars- like half my food spending- as one example. My oldest in his late 20's is going full time to save money over traditional housing, and is embracing the challenges of such. I think he might be a bit ahead of the game! He's got his first 6 months fully locked down at the lake north of us, and will immediately plan for the next 6.

The price of diesel exceeding gas has got to be tied to the "conflict" right? I mean, if we are assuming ANY organic causes- which are highly questionable at the very least. And though I'm an upbeat person with a sharp eye on the potential for doom, I'm taking it as it is and hoping for some reversal- but not expecting it. Just watch and see, trusting in the Lord as much as I am able. Relatable? Anyone?

P.S. Having sounded like a broken record for 2+ years now shouting "supply chain" it's become one of those phrases I'm frankly sick of hearing- besides the fact of which it still smacks me sane in every single matter of goods and services distribution.
Nah, nothing due to the conflict although the unintended consequences of that could make a bad trend worse. I was surprised last summer when I toured Southwestern states. We came from North Carolina and I thought fuel prices were getting high there, but I clearly wasn’t ready for what I found in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah … even parts of Texas. I tow with a 7.3 gas F350 which was averaging roughly 8.0 mpg on regular gas. My first reaction to western gas prices was simply; “It was my good fortune to be driving gas”. Diesel, even then, was running 75¢ a gallon higher than gas. “My good fortune” ran out, however, when I found out that “regular” gas in much of the wester states we travelled wasn’t nearly as “regular” as in the east. 85 octane versus 87. If I wanted 87 octane, I had to buy mid-grade … if they had it. If not, then premium. Mid-grade was pretty much up to diesel prices and high test was more than diesel. I can only imagine what is going on out there now. On the first page of my Ford owners manual is a warning about western gas. Says my warranty is void if I use it. I try to keep up with it in Gas Buddy as we are - were - planning to volunteer at a NFS site in Sedona. Right now, I estimate it will cost over $2 grand each way. That tends to test my volunteer spirit.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:46 AM   #34
kidyounger

I'm not blaming oil companies , but look at there profits. I know you need to make a profit to stay in business , but there profits are ridiculous.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:08 AM   #35
CaptnJohn

I’m not blaming oil companies, they have been given the go ahead on prices from the government.
Refineries are shutting down in the USA as regulation has made it nearly impossible to work. The government has closed the oil industry. Read today crude will hit $125-150 barrel this summer. That should put gas over $5 and diesel approaching $7 in some places. Might get a reprieve in 2024. Was nice when we were energy independent instead of begging Venezuela and Iran for oil as the Saudis and UAE doesn’t take calls from our government anymore

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 05-22-2022, 09:26 AM   #36
bsmith0404

If you want to know why everything is so expensive, including fuel, it’s called greed. Parts shortages, diesel prices, supply chain issues all causing increased prices. Increased prices on one item push increased prices on other items. Not a single company out there is going to watch their profit margins drop. My understanding on parts shortages isn’t that many of the items aren’t being produced, they aren’t being ordered. Why? The price to ship a 40’ container from China to the US two years ago was about $3,000, today it’s around $20,000. We’re buying more stuff, theres a high demand for shipping space and a shortage of containers and ships to put them on. Companies are having to pay a premium for preferred/priority service. Many companies have reduced orders or stopped ordering certain products altogether because the profit margin cannot support shipping costs, that’s why some shelves are empty. Only high demand items can support the price increases. Too much stuff being made in China these days. Until they get control of the shipping industry, nothing is going to change. Unless we all just stop buying and traveling. Of course, after being penned up for over a year, who wants to sit home? And with all the “free money”, who wants to save instead of buy? Then again, when a ship uses nearly a million gallons of fuel to get from China to the US……..it’s all one big merry go round that we as consumers are stuck on.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 05-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #37
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Pshht! Amateurs.....You know how some of the gasoline pumps shut off today when they get to $75 or $100? Diesel pumps at some truck stops we use shut off at $1000. That's when reality sets in!

Don't blame it all on the oil companies. Those truck stops and fuel stations are getting their piece of the pie too.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Old 05-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #38
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If you want to know why everything is so expensive, including fuel, it’s called greed. Parts shortages, diesel prices, supply chain issues all causing increased prices. Increased prices on one item push increased prices on other items. Not a single company out there is going to watch their profit margins drop. My understanding on parts shortages isn’t that many of the items aren’t being produced, they aren’t being ordered. Why? The price to ship a 40’ container from China to the US two years ago was about $3,000, today it’s around $20,000. We’re buying more stuff, theres a high demand for shipping space and a shortage of containers and ships to put them on. Companies are having to pay a premium for preferred/priority service. Many companies have reduced orders or stopped ordering certain products altogether because the profit margin cannot support shipping costs, that’s why some shelves are empty. Only high demand items can support the price increases. Too much stuff being made in China these days. Until they get control of the shipping industry, nothing is going to change. Unless we all just stop buying and traveling. Of course, after being penned up for over a year, who wants to sit home? And with all the “free money”, who wants to save instead of buy? Then again, when a ship uses nearly a million gallons of fuel to get from China to the US……..it’s all one big merry go round that we as consumers are stuck on.
some of the hvac supply houses i shop at have raised the prices on everything….whether it’s a item in short supply or not….they could have a warehouse full of widgets that would easily bridge the gap in the supply chain but they choose to raise it on their current inventory…no reason other then greed.

if they had to order a new supply of widgets and the current price was higher i could see them raising the price but not until it was necessary…

i’d be willing to wager that 50% or more of the supplies are not even hard to get it’s just an opportunity to make a huge profit for these company’s.

the prices will probably never go back to where they were because once you start paying someone more money they won’t accept less
Old 05-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #39
Spock123

I’m leaving 3 June to Yellowstone with DW and great granddaughter, I budgeted $4.00 a gallon in January, would love to find diesel at that price. I have a 100gal auxiliary tank plus with all the talk about shortage I’ll probably take a few cans of diesel along. I have a friend that high diesel prices is driving him home, he is 86, me I’m 77 so the wife says. Anyway I may not have much time left so as long as I can get diesel I’m going. I figure at least 5,000 miles and my GMC dually get 10mpg, so 500 gallons of diesel, my diesel budget now is $3,000 bucks. I love Yellowstone, have been a few times and I never get tired of seeing Yellowstone. I hope to go to Alaska next year, I just have to talk DW into getting the vaccine. I went to Alaska in 2017 and one fuel stop the diesel was $1.99 a liter, I didn’t even slow down pumping. The bad roads in Alaska had messed up my auxiliary tank, that’s fixed now. Nothing I can do about the high cost of diesel
Old 05-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #40
Rwake901

In my opinion there is no fuel shortage. If there was a shortage you wouldn’t be able to buy fuel because they wouldn’t have any. I haven’t found one fuel station that is out of fuel. This is all political and greed driven. In a very short time from now everything is going to come to a abrupt halt because nobody is going to be able to afford anything. Hang onto your hat’s!
Closed Thread