Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #1
Dan.in.Seattle

Question about Anderson Levelers

Hi All!
Setting up my new (to me) Travel Trailer. Getting ready for an 800 mile trip next month. I just replaced the manual tongue jack with a Bulldog 35000lb electric tongue jack which should make things a little easier on these old shoulders. Next I've been looking at the Anderson Levelers and the Level Mate Pro to help simplify the setup at our campsites. I'm trying to find something simple quick and easy to use. I've read a lot of reviews and saw some talk about these levelers slipping on some surfaces making them difficult or impossible to drive onto. So my question to those of you that use the Anderson Levelers is, have you had this kind of trouble in the past, what kind of surfaces do you have the most trouble with, and do you recommend buying and using the rubber mats that are available?

I do plan on carrying some 2x6 blocks as a backup just in case.

Thanks

Recreational RV'ers
Keystone Springdale 179QWBE
2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 w/Tow Package
Dan.in.Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #2
Balvar24

I have the less expensive Camco version blocks made similar to the Anderson and a little bit larger trailer than you have listed in your signature.

The blocks are very convenient and should be marketed as a marital aid. They work well almost all the time. The only issue I've had was on a downhill site with pea gravel. We used a long block of wood to push against the leveler (toes tend to get smashed under tires) and got it to work. I don't think the mats would have helped my situation. They might be convenient on pavement or concrete, however. Personally, I've camped very few times on asphalt or concrete nor have had want of the pads.

As for a level, I hand my wife a 12" bubble level and she lays it in the floor before and after. Simple, but seems to work pretty well. I can't imagine setting up much faster than we do.

Since we started camping, I'm surprised how level most sites have been. Maybe I've just been fortunate, but many times I only need a 1/2 to 1" left to right.

So far, I've only been one place where the blocks you describe wouldn't work. It was on grass, sloped, and I need 6" or so to get level.

I would buy the blocks again in a heartbeat.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:04 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.in.Seattle View Post
Hi All!
Setting up my new (to me) Travel Trailer. Getting ready for an 800 mile trip next month. I just replaced the manual tongue jack with a Bulldog 35000lb electric tongue jack which should make things a little easier on these old shoulders. Next I've been looking at the Anderson Levelers and the Level Mate Pro to help simplify the setup at our campsites. I'm trying to find something simple quick and easy to use. I've read a lot of reviews and saw some talk about these levelers slipping on some surfaces making them difficult or impossible to drive onto. So my question to those of you that use the Anderson Levelers is, have you had this kind of trouble in the past, what kind of surfaces do you have the most trouble with, and do you recommend buying and using the rubber mats that are available?

I do plan on carrying some 2x6 blocks as a backup just in case.

Thanks
I use the Anderson levelers (radiused curved plastic) and the level Levelmate Pro. Absolutly love them both. I turn on the Levelmate while entering the site and an stopped where I want the trailer. If one side is low then I move in one direction about a foot. Put the Andersons in place and drive up on them until level. Sure beats playing with wooden or plastic blocks under the tires IMO. I've not had an issue with them sliding on any surface I've parked on yet.

The other advantage with the Levelmate is when you unhitch you can "save" your hitch height so when you get ready to hitch back up you don't have to guess how high you need to raise the tongue.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

The other advantage with the Levelmate is when you unhitch you can "save" your hitch height so when you get ready to hitch back up you don't have to guess how high you need to raise the tongue.
I use a measuring tape, but I see how that could be handy. Usually, it's 28" or 29" above grade for me.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I have used lynx levlers ( Lego style blocks) for the last 15 years. Haven’t had them slip on any surface.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I use the Anderson levelers (radiused curved plastic) and the level Levelmate Pro. Absolutly love them both. I turn on the Levelmate while entering the site and an stopped where I want the trailer. If one side is low then I move in one direction about a foot. Put the Andersons in place and drive up on them until level. Sure beats playing with wooden or plastic blocks under the tires IMO. I've not had an issue with them sliding on any surface I've parked on yet.

I'm with Marshall. I used both and liked them both. The Andersen Levelers have the chock you can place behind the tire once it is up on the leveler. The Level Mate Pro was a great addition to simplify setting up IMO. Between the two and the electric tongue jack I think you will be as close to "easier and simpler" as you can get. Hopefully you get yours set up so it's a piece of cake to set up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I use a measuring tape, but I see how that could be handy. Usually, it's 28" or 29" above grade for me.
If the truck and trailer are always level that "usual number" might work. Our camper is near 36' and with an 8' bed on the truck it isn't unusual for me to see an 8-10" variance in hitch hieghts when in a site. You could of course measure it when unhitching but with my memory I couldn't remember where I left the tape measure 5 or 6 days later, much less what the number was.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #8
Dan.in.Seattle

Quote:

Great to hear from someone who has used this setup, Thanks

Recreational RV'ers
Old 04-26-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
Dan.in.Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm with Marshall. I used both and liked them both. The Andersen Levelers have the chock you can place behind the tire once it is up on the leveler. The Level Mate Pro was a great addition to simplify setting up IMO. Between the two and the electric tongue jack I think you will be as close to "easier and simpler" as you can get. Hopefully you get yours set up so it's a piece of cake to set up.

Thanks, Sounds like I'm on the right track!

Recreational RV'ers
Old 04-26-2022, 12:01 PM   #10
Dan.in.Seattle

Thanks for the info. I'll pack at least one long piece of 2x4

Recreational RV'ers
Old 04-26-2022, 12:14 PM   #11
Balvar24

Quote:
If the truck and trailer are always level that "usual number" might work. Our camper is near 36' and with an 8' bed on the truck it isn't unusual for me to see an 8-10" variance in hitch hieghts when in a site. You could of course measure it when unhitching but with my memory I couldn't remember where I left the tape measure 5 or 6 days later, much less what the number was.
Sure. The hardest thing about camping for me is remembering to put my stuff back where it goes so I can find it, or don't leave without it.

As short as the OP's trailer looks to be, I'd recommend buying and trying just the blocks first. Might decide to save a few bucks on the Level Mate.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:27 PM   #12
BubbaShoots

I use Beech Lame levelers, similar to Anderson, with the anti skid pads underneath. I think the Beech Lane are a bit more rugged. I also use the LevelMate Pro and highly recommend. Very convenient and saves some time with setup.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:35 PM   #13
Dan.in.Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaShoots View Post
I use Beech Lame levelers, similar to Anderson, with the anti skid pads underneath. I think the Beech Lane are a bit more rugged. I also use the LevelMate Pro and highly recommend. Very convenient and saves some time with setup.

Thanks, good to know

Recreational RV'ers
Old 04-26-2022, 12:37 PM   #14
Dan.in.Seattle

As short as the OP's trailer looks to be, I'd recommend buying and trying just the blocks first. Might decide to save a few bucks on the Level Mate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I used to use the block method on my old travel trailer so I know how that goes. I'm an old retired firefighter with bad knees and shoulders so for me I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on something that will make my life a little easier! I'll be carrying some old school 2x6 blocks "just in case" but I hope I don't have to use them...

Recreational RV'ers
Old 04-26-2022, 02:07 PM   #15
Balvar24

Quote:

Thanks, but I used to use the block method on my old travel trailer so I know how that goes. I'm an old retired firefighter with bad knees and shoulders so for me I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on something that will make my life a little easier! I'll be carrying some old school 2x6 blocks "just in case" but I hope I don't have to use them...
Sorry, meant the Anderson or similar blocks (should have said levelers, I suppose). When I bought mine, the Camco were a couple bucks cheaper and seem to be holding up fine, if your interested. My dad has the Anderson and they're nice too.

I keep a few wood blocks around myself for unforeseen circumstances. However, I recently came into possession of some Lynx Levelers that belonged to my Grandfather that I'm going to swap out.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:08 PM   #16
Pharphr

Plus one on the Beech lanes. Mine included the rubber mats and a carry bag.
Changed to a queen size bed
Lots of other little mods
Tow vehicle: 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 v8
Pharphr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #17
Dan.in.Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Sorry, meant the Anderson or similar blocks (should have said levelers, I suppose). When I bought mine, the Camco were a couple bucks cheaper and seem to be holding up fine, if your interested. My dad has the Anderson and they're nice too.

I keep a few wood blocks around myself for unforeseen circumstances. However, I recently came into possession of some Lynx Levelers that belonged to my Grandfather that I'm going to swap out.

Oh, Gotcha. I should have figured that out. I'll check out those Camco models.

Let me know how those Lynx levelers work out, probably a lot less space and weight than 2x6.

Recreational RV'ers
Old 04-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #18
vampress_me

Quote:

I’m with Marshall. We used the Andersen levelers and Levelmate on our Cougar when we had it. Made setting up easier than anything. We did have the “Lego blocks” before that and I think the Andersen’s are much simpler. I had also read that people had issues with them slipping, but had not experienced that myself. I did buy a strip of 3” wide black grippy tape (like is on steps and is rough like sandpaper) and stuck that to the Andersen’s. That seemed to take care of any slipping issue that may have arisen.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:41 PM   #19
Dan.in.Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I’m with Marshall. We used the Andersen levelers and Levelmate on our Cougar when we had it. Made setting up easier than anything. We did have the “Lego blocks” before that and I think the Andersen’s are much simpler. I had also read that people had issues with them slipping, but had not experienced that myself. I did buy a strip of 3” wide black grippy tape (like is on steps and is rough like sandpaper) and stuck that to the Andersen’s. That seemed to take care of any slipping issue that may have arisen.

Thanks for the tip Lynette,
That tape idea sounds like it solved the slipping problem.

Recreational RV'ers
Old 04-26-2022, 06:02 PM   #20
Balvar24

Quote:
Oh, Gotcha. I should have figured that out. I'll check out those Camco models.

Let me know how those Lynx levelers work out, probably a lot less space and weight than 2x6.
I've used a similar make Lynx type before. They're good if you need more than the 4" or 6" the curved levelers yield.

Mine will probably get used mostly for placing under my stabilizers.

My dad told me I should get the curved ones when we bought our camper. My mom almost demanded we do it based on how much easier it made setting their camper up.