Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

Van Horn

Just had a parcel shipped to California via FedEx and it showed transit through Sierra Blanca, Texas. Sounded like a neat place and I went there on google maps and there isn't much there and the nearest RV park is in Van Horn, right down the road. The Southern Star RV Park had an interesting blurb on their website:

Area Attractions and Nearby Destinations

“The Town so Healthy We Had to Shoot a Man to Start a Cemetery”

Van Horn was named after a Union Officer, while Culberson County was named after a Confederate.

The above slogan had been suggested by a local rancher named Bill Goynes. He was killed by his brother-in-law a short time later and in fact became the first occupant of the cemetery. We are told it was a dispute over water and had nothing to do with the need to start a cemetery, although it might’ve given the community-minded brother-in-law an extra incentive.

--------------
I thought that was kinda funny. Looks like a nice park with good rates and I qualify for their discounts several ways. Hmmm. The drive out is kinda boring though. About 450 miles from home into the setting sun.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Yep, nothing much at Sierra Blanca but like you noted, some little interesting tidbits. From there to Fabens was pretty much like being in Mexico if you got down into the towns. Some pretty rough living accommodations down through there but man, they can make a BURRITO!! All that area used to be under my "umbrella".

Some other areas of interest if in that neck of the woods is Balmorhea State Park and their super spring fed pool then the Davis Mountains and the observatory.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:32 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Thinking about going out that way, probably the trike (even though no A/C) would be a lot quicker and cheaper on gas. I get about 30 mpg with my Goldwing Roadsmith conversion. I have been to Alpine and Ft. Davis quite a few times but never to any of the smaller places.... looking at them on maps at street view, kinda dumps for the most part.

Dunno... we went down to the Big Bend and stayed in a park in Terlingua and were tossed out after a day when the county decided to close all lodging due the china-flu. We had reservations to do an ATV tour in the park area. We cancelled and got our money back. Might give that a shot... parks down near Terlingua are kinda grim (dirt with hook ups) so might stay in a motel or such and take the trike. I have about a 300 mile range on the trike (6 gallons in tank and an aux tank) as fuel is few and far between going out 90 and down towards the park.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Not been to Terlingua in a while and have never taken an RV as it's pretty sparce. Goes bonkers in Nov.? for chili cookoffs but after that the parks are pretty bare. Big Bend is a hoot and a great time but I like the off road places and "out there". A big truck (or trike) might be a handful on the places I like to go. I've stayed at Study Butte in a motel a couple of times and it was OK. They're not 5 star but hey, they didn't have 3" black beetles in the floors, shower and bed like I've found in places that were actually in a town.

I don't know what you like but I had a friend that swore by Balmorhea State Park and the springs. The are used by lots of folks for scuba diving.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
CedarCreekWoody

Maybe you can go watch Bezos blast off a rocket while in Van Horn?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:55 PM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yep, nothing much at Sierra Blanca but like you noted, some little interesting tidbits. From there to Fabens was pretty much like being in Mexico if you got down into the towns. Some pretty rough living accommodations down through there but man, they can make a BURRITO!! All that area used to be under my "umbrella".

Some other areas of interest if in that neck of the woods is Balmorhea State Park and their super spring fed pool then the Davis Mountains and the observatory.
I will say Balmorhea State Park was nice about 30 years ago. I think they were closed lately for remodeling, so it should be good. That spring fed pool IS nice.
Davis Mountain State Park is supposedly nice as well.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote