Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #21
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Is there a troll lurking?
I don't believe so Billy...
Old 09-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrispyjCSLT22 View Post
Azdel is impervious to water vs luan aka wood is not.. I was originally here when I first started my shopping and research and knowing they do not use Azdel, thats a major turn off... Also folks asked on this thread if they did and I reassured their answer even tho you do not like it..

It makes no difference to me if a person likes Azdel or not. It seemed (seems) odd to join the forum, tag onto an old thread to start bashing Keystone on a Keystone forum when you don't even own one - and as you said, "would never own a Keystone TT". So now we know you like Azdel and don't like Keystone...OK.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #23
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It makes no difference to me if a person likes Azdel or not.
Are you suire?

Quote:
It seemed (seems) odd to join the forum, tag onto an old thread to start bashing Keystone on a Keystone forum when you don't even own one - and as you said, "would never own a Keystone TT".
That is correct. #Merica

Quote:
So now we know you like Azdel and don't like Keystone...OK.
Azdel is a superior product and not a sponge like wood. Take care of yourself.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:08 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

So let me ask out if curiosity:

Do you work on RV’s, specifically body work and have any first hand experience with Adzel?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:22 PM   #25
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
So let me ask out if curiosity:

Do you work on RV’s, specifically body work and have any first hand experience with Adzel?
I do not, but know folks who do.. however this is also another concern when I looked at them close up prior to finding out they do not use Azdel.

I'm concerned about the seal job on this brand new TT... There were 3 other TTs from this brand with the same type of job.. its concerning... I should have taken a pic as well but felt one was enough..
Old 09-20-2022, 05:28 PM   #26
Customer1

Regardless whether a wall contains adzel or not it can still delaminate. Delamination is when layers separate, it can happen with any material. Some manufacturers might use adzel for the interior wall board and still use luan against the filon, don't fall for marketing hype.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I do not, but know folks who do.. however this is also another concern when I looked at them close up prior to finding out they do not use Azdel.

I'm concerned about the seal job on this brand new TT... There were 3 other TTs from this brand with the same type of job.. its concerning... I should have taken a pic as well but felt one was enough..
In reality, if the filon backer is Luan, or adzel, proper sealing of seams is key.

I have and do currently work in the RV trade, and have for the last year been employed by an RV collision center. The pics of the seal job you posted don’t have anything to do with what’s behind the filon. A poor seal job will allow water to intrude the interior walls and cabinetry, so it’s NOT a matter of superior/inferior products, it’s a workmanship issue.

Is that YOUR trailer in the pics?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:35 PM   #28
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Regardless whether a wall contains adzel or not it can still delaminate. Delamination is when layers separate, it can happen with any material. Some manufacturers might use adzel for the interior wall board and still use luan against the filon, don't fall for marketing hype.
Find me one that does... from what I've seen its Azdel on the exterior and interior or Azdel on the exterior and luan or other paneling on the interior, I don't believe there is one with Azdel inside and luan or other paneling on the outside..

it seems Azdel does a better job at fighting against delamination vs wood which is a sponge when it comes to water.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:41 PM   #29
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
In reality, if the filon backer is Luan, or adzel, proper sealing of seams is key.

I have and do currently work in the RV trade, and have for the last year been employed by an RV collision center. The pics of the seal job you posted don’t have anything to do with what’s behind the filon. A poor seal job will allow water to intrude the interior walls and cabinetry, so it’s NOT a matter of superior/inferior products, it’s a workmanship issue.

Is that YOUR trailer in the pics?

No its not, it was one I was looking to buy.. it was between that one and the 189RB but I've decided against them..

And that is the key, a poor seal job, so in case I were to purchase one and it had a poor seal quality, Azdel isn't going to rot like wood will... its just that simple.. every sales person I've spoke to including repair person, in person and on blogs all say "well leaks is a part of the RV life".. well if thats the case I would feel better that my TT will have components in the structure that will not rot.. Go look at the Embers, zero wood in the entire structure..
Old 09-20-2022, 05:43 PM   #30
Customer1

Quote:
Find me one that does... from what I've seen its Azdel on the exterior and interior or Azdel on the exterior and luan or other paneling on the interior, I don't believe there is one with Azdel inside and luan or other paneling on the outside..

it seems Azdel does a better job at fighting against delamination vs wood which is a sponge when it comes to water.
I only state facts, I'm not here to argue with a troll and frankly I don't care what you believe. Believe what you want.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
No its not, it was one I was looking to buy.. it was between that one and the 189RB but I've decided against them..

And that is the key, a poor seal job, so in case I were to purchase one and it had a poor seal quality, Azdel isn't going to rot like wood will... its just that simple.. every sales person I've spoke to including repair person, in person and on blogs all say "well leaks is a part of the RV life".. well if thats the case I would feel better that my TT will have components in the structure that will not rot.. Go look at the Embers, zero wood in the entire structure..
'

Azdel is not used in Keystone products so the conversation is moot. Using the subject to run down Keystone products doesn't fly. All RVs have roof sealants and all require an owner to do their maintenance. Azdel does nothing to prevent that. A leak may not harm the Azdel but there will be other things that it will, maintenance is simply something that must be done with an RV. If one that requires zero maintenance is your goal....good luck, but, until then you don't need to harp on your like of Azdel and dislike for Keystone products based on wandering around and looking in RV lots.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:51 PM   #32
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
I only state facts, I'm not here to argue with a troll and frankly I don't care what you believe. Believe what you want.
Understood.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:52 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Leaks are NOT a part of RV life, if you believe that you are truly gullible. I have owned a fifth wheel since 1989, current is my fourth. NONE of mine have had a leak, I have had a Fleeteood, Jayco, and now a Keystone.

Key is PROPER maintenance, and a proper PDI at time of sale. I’ve seen more brands of trailers, and motorhomes than the average person and have seen poor seal jobs on EVERY brand.

Enjoy your hunt for the unicorn rv, buy it and enjoy it. I’m done, it’s clear your only here to argue. I get it, YOU think Adzel is superior, keep thinking that but don’t keep bashing those of us with Luan behind our filon.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #34
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
Leaks are NOT a part of RV life, if you believe that you are truly gullible. I have owned a fifth wheel since 1989, current is my fourth. NONE of mine have had a leak, I have had a Fleeteood, Jayco, and now a Keystone.

Key is PROPER maintenance, and a proper PDI at time of sale. I’ve seen more brands of trailers, and motorhomes than the average person and have seen poor seal jobs on EVERY brand.

Enjoy your hunt for the unicorn rv, buy it and enjoy it. I’m done, it’s clear your only here to argue. I get it, YOU think Adzel is superior, keep thinking that but don’t keep bashing those of us with Luan behind our filon.
I'm glad you said that, because I don't believe it either.. salesman will say anything and there is no such thing as a unicorn RV aka the perfect RV.. it doesn't exist, but what does exist is one with the materials to help fight against the elements and I'm very glad you've had great luck with your RV and I hope to have the same.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:43 PM   #35
wegone

Azdel is owned by Azdel Onboard.

It burst onto the scene in 2006.

Since then, it has become one of the most widely used materials to extend an RVs’ life and functionality while reducing the overall weight.

Even better, it’s all made in the USA!

You can tell if you have Azdel by looking inside the door jam cylinder hole.

No wood, its one solid composite material, so nothing to separate.

It's gaining in popularity but mostly for the front cap area.

Some brands/models use it on all exterior and interior walls.

Advantages per them:

No delamination

Water-resistant

Free of formaldehyde, mold, and mildew

Half the weight of wood

Handles changing temperature and humidity better than wood

Better sound absorption

Twice the insulation that wood provides

Delamination is a real killer to smooth side trailers and RV's, I don't think any real argument exist to the contrary.....

But it won't stand to neglect either, upkeep is EVERYTHING....

I'm done
Old 09-23-2022, 06:26 PM   #36
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Azdel is owned by Azdel Onboard.

It burst onto the scene in 2006.

Since then, it has become one of the most widely used materials to extend an RVs’ life and functionality while reducing the overall weight.

Even better, it’s all made in the USA!

You can tell if you have Azdel by looking inside the door jam cylinder hole.

No wood, its one solid composite material, so nothing to separate.

It's gaining in popularity but mostly for the front cap area.

Some brands/models use it on all exterior and interior walls.

Advantages per them:

No delamination

Water-resistant

Free of formaldehyde, mold, and mildew

Half the weight of wood

Handles changing temperature and humidity better than wood

Better sound absorption

Twice the insulation that wood provides

Delamination is a real killer to smooth side trailers and RV's, I don't think any real argument exist to the contrary.....

But it won't stand to neglect either, upkeep is EVERYTHING....

I'm done
Those are some strong points you mentioned about Azdel, and I agree with them all, I also agree with upkeep and maintain, and if for some miraculous reason a leak is to occur, I personally would feel so much better having azdel which is impervious to water than soaking it up like a sponge with Luan.

Ty for sharing the strong points of Azdel.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:19 PM   #37
wegone

Quote:
Those are some strong points you mentioned about Azdel, and I agree with them all, I also agree with upkeep and maintain, and if for some miraculous reason a leak is to occur, I personally would feel so much better having azdel which is impervious to water than soaking it up like a sponge with Luan.

Ty for sharing the strong points of Azdel.
I worked on the very first 787, a composite aircraft by Boeing.

I did composite repair along with other structure build defects repair on the aircraft itself.

Composites technology is the future.

The home construction industry will notice a big change soon.

Some of it can be made from recycled materials that would otherwise fill a landfill/waste dump.

The future is kind of funny, we laughed at Doc in Back to the Future with his flux capacitor fueled DeLorean.....
Old 09-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #38
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
I worked on the very first 787, a composite aircraft by Boeing.

I did composite repair along with other structure build defects repair on the aircraft itself.

Composites technology is the future.

The home construction industry will notice a big change soon.

Some of it can be made from recycled materials that would otherwise fill a landfill/waste dump.

The future is kind of funny, we laughed at Doc in Back to the Future with his flux capacitor fueled DeLorean.....
I agree, it is.. I don't get why this company uses a composite material (HyperDeck) for the floors but not for the walls... Lots of folks using it now, and Grand Design has a brand new line up, single axle that now uses Azdel..

Back to the future was such a great movie.. Ty for sharing your story.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:28 AM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I agree, it is.. I don't get why this company uses a composite material (HyperDeck) for the floors but not for the walls... Lots of folks using it now, and Grand Design has a brand new line up, single axle that now uses Azdel..

Back to the future was such a great movie.. Ty for sharing your story.
Isn't that the same question as "Why doesn't Ford use the same engines as GM?" or "Why did Ford develop "quiet steel side panels" and Dodge not use them too?".... Each manufacturer develops "their trailer" to sell to the public. The "Why isn't a Keystone built with the same materials as a different manufacturer" the same.

And no, McD's "special sauce" isn't the same as the sauce on an Arby's roast beef sandwich, although they both are "in a bun"....

It's up to the purchaser to determine what they like and which manufacturer builds a product that most closely meets their individual needs. As for me, I'm thankful that my 2014 Keystone Cougar wasn't built like a 2014 Flagstaff. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-24-2022, 08:25 AM   #40
ChrispyjCSLT22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Isn't that the same question as "Why doesn't Ford use the same engines as GM?" or "Why did Ford develop "quiet steel side panels" and Dodge not use them too?".... Each manufacturer develops "their trailer" to sell to the public. The "Why isn't a Keystone built with the same materials as a different manufacturer" the same.

And no, McD's "special sauce" isn't the same as the sauce on an Arby's roast beef sandwich, although they both are "in a bun"....

It's up to the purchaser to determine what they like and which manufacturer builds a product that most closely meets their individual needs. As for me, I'm thankful that my 2014 Keystone Cougar wasn't built like a 2014 Flagstaff. YMMV

And for the same price they should certainly contain the same quality materials.. Ford and Chevy both use aluminum panels in their vehicles.. even Grand Design is now using Azdel... I'm glad you had great luck with yours and I did give this brand a chance as I like the 189RB and the 23RB but if you would scroll up and look at the glue/seal job on a brand new unit on the lot(and several others on the lot were the same), that doesn't give me the sense of quality.. now I'm OMW to Arby's since they have the meats.
Closed Thread