Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #21
Hunter757

Rob in Windsor,
I would start with checking your battery hook ups and make sure there connected correctly. If there are two batteries then make sure again the are connected correctly. If you are not sure of how the connections should be made take pictures of them and post them here for all to help.

It sounds like with the conv: breaker off in the fiver everything else is working on the 110 side of the house per your prior post and if you turn it on this is when the breaker in the house trips.

Look around in the battery compartment and look for any black/white burn marks in the wires running to and from your battery's. I would think if you had a short or connected the batterys incorrectly you would blow an inline fuse or the fuses at the converter but for some reason your tripping the breaker in the house . Unless the converter itself has shorted and in that case will neeed to be removed and replaced. So start simple by checking battery connections and then start working your way back to the converter that is tucked behind a panel in the fiver mine is in the basement area and is only two feet from the main panel on the inside of the fiver, this should give you an idea where to look for it.
Again, good luck and hope you can find the problem and get it fixed!

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
rob in windsor

I would agree with a previous poster in that it would be beneficial to know what you took it in for originally.[/QUOTE]

When dry camping, I would run up the generator and as soon as I put the Rv on load, the genny would trip, 9 times out of 10. So I shut all of the breakers on the RV panel and cycled them 1 by 1, ( the main breaker open of course). Immediately upon making the CON### breaker, the genny trips.( the main breaker and the con### are the only 2 open at this time).
This was my reason for taking it in for service. When I got it home and parked for the winter, I discovered I have nothing, except the clock on the microwave and an few outlets. Nothing is working.
rob in windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #23
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob in windsor View Post
I would agree with a previous poster in that it would be beneficial to know what you took it in for originally.
When dry camping, I would run up the generator and as soon as I put the Rv on load, the genny would trip, 9 times out of 10. So I shut all of the breakers on the RV panel and cycled them 1 by 1, ( the main breaker open of course). Immediately upon making the CON### breaker, the genny trips.( the main breaker and the con### are the only 2 open at this time).
This was my reason for taking it in for service. When I got it home and parked for the winter, I discovered I have nothing, except the clock on the microwave and an few outlets. Nothing is working.[/QUOTE]

Interesting since all the main breaker at the converter does is feed the other 4 or 5 breakers, so if one is getting power, they all should. The outlet in the kitchen is AC as is the light in the microwave. The converter has polarity protection fuses for the battery, so if you misconnected the battery cables or the hot side of the battery shorted to the frame, you would blow the polarity fuse, but you should have all of the AC circuits. I discoverd that all of my outlets, inside and outside, are on the GFCI circuit, and your's is probably the same unless there is a separate breaker for GFCI. You should have all or nothing there also.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
rob in windsor

Electrical Issue On 2011 Cougar 27SAB - Pictures

Attached are the pictures of the Panel.
The Microwave is made to show me I have power, and it is the bottom one
CON611295 that is causing the genny/ house breaker to trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse panel.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	940   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse panel 2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	941   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse panel 3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	942  
rob in windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #25
Oscar

OK, after some forensic reading here's my $0.03

There are two scenarios here. Either there is an issue with the 12 volt side/converter sucking a major load and tripping the AC, or you are just plain overloading the system. BTW, I think right now your batteries are dead, so first:

Disconnect the battery (ies). Measure the voltage. If dead/low put a decent charger on and top off. This is to alleviate a massive drain on the converter when you turn it on. Confirm that the batteries are taking a charge. Confirm that they hold their charge when the charger comes off. (After an hour they should read better than 12.3 -12.4V )

Before reconnecting the batteries turn off all AC breakers, connect shore power then turn on the main. After making sure the disconnected battery terminals are not touching each other or ground turn on the converter. If nothing trips, the converter is probably healthy so turn it back off and reinstall the batteries, make sure they are correctly installed.....and don't trust the last guy that did it either. You can verify neutral being neutral by checking it against the chassis. While you're at it, check that the hot one is not shorted with the neutral. Some continuity will be there from 12V items that you can't turn off. Turn off everything 12V you can think off and then just look to see if there's a blatant short.

Turn the converter back on. If nothing trips you're good. If it does, it (the converter) may well be bad.

Also, how big is the converter....... If the batteries are empty, a sudden 120 amp load at 12V may well trip a 2000W genny, or a 15A house circuit.

Finally, make sure nothing else AC is on when you're doing all this. A water heater is 1400W and all that will run on a 15A circuit, be it house or genny.

I have installed one of these:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ems+AC+Ammeter

They are easy to install and really help managing your load....