Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
steve eboe

newbee needs advice

I'm relatively new to towing a travel trailer. I pull a lightweight (3,200 lbs.) 19 foot Passport with an 8-cylinder Dodge Dakota. The truck is rated to tow 7,000 lbs. so I know I'm all right there, but the truck has a "Tow/Haul" button on the shift column. Should I activate the "Tow/Haul" button every time I'm pulling the trailer, or just when I'm in hilly or mountainous terrain? I've received different advice from different people I've asked.
Thanks
steve eboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
f6bits

Toe/Haul just raises the shift points, and eliminates Overdrive. So you’re in first gear longer, second gear longer, etc., until you hit fourth gear where you’ll stay unless it needs to downshift for additional power.

You can certainly leave Tow/Haul off and see if your truck starts bogging down on the upshifts. If you’re in regular mode and hit hills, there’s nothing stopping you from manually downshifting, which you may very well have to do in tow/haul mode anyway.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

If the truck tows fine in OD there is no need to use T/H. If the trans starts "hunting" and is down shifting frequently then definitely use T/H. I think you will find that truck and trailer combo will be a good match.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote