Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #1
SummitPond

Honda EG2200X generator

I bought an old Honda portable generator at a garage sale - cheap! Yes, it works just fine. I bought it to power my electric chain saw in the "back 40"; an extension cord just didn't cut it (no pun intended).

But then I got thinking ... dangerous, I know.

As it is not an inverter generator, is it safe to use for charging the TT's battery? It only has two 120V outlets, not a 30A TT outlet, so I would have to use my dogbone adaptor with it. Would the EMS even allow power from the generator to the TT? Would the waveform resulting from this generator, even if acceptable for the converter, cause any damage to other 120V equipment (e.g., microwave, TV), or would I need to open the breakers to everything but the converter?

Or should I stop thinking and just use it as originally intended - to power the chain saw.

Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
Devin_Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I bought an old Honda portable generator at a garage sale - cheap! Yes, it works just fine. I bought it to power my electric chain saw in the "back 40"; an extension cord just didn't cut it (no pun intended).

But then I got thinking ... dangerous, I know.

As it is not an inverter generator, is it safe to use for charging the TT's battery? It only has two 120V outlets, not a 30A TT outlet, so I would have to use my dogbone adaptor with it. Would the EMS even allow power from the generator to the TT? Would the waveform resulting from this generator, even if acceptable for the converter, cause any damage to other 120V equipment (e.g., microwave, TV), or would I need to open the breakers to everything but the converter?

Or should I stop thinking and just use it as originally intended - to power the chain saw.

Thanks.

Assuming your rig pulls under 2,000 watts or whatever the generator max capacity is & the generator puts out reasonably clean power it should work fine. Clean power is somewhat relative & generally little on a trailer should be that sensitive. Most electronics are actually the least sensitive to dirty AC power as it all goes through a power supply to low voltage anyway.

Won't be enough oomph in a small generator to run air conditioning. Barely enough on a new Honda EU2200 on the air conditioning for a 17' trailer at sea level (won't do it here in Colorado).
Devin_Noel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator