Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2021, 07:23 AM   #1
Feeding Frenzy

Go easy, Green Horn Here

We began our search and RE-SEARCH on R/Ving a month or so ago, but the more we dig, the more frustrated we seem to become. The entire TV thing has me really overwhelmed and in reading the forum posts on towing, the replies seem to range from "wow, extremely helpful", to "what am I getting myself into?"

We have a 2018 F150 4wd, 145 in wheel base, 5.0 8 cyl with a max payload of 1856 lbs, a gvwr of 7050 lbs, a 3.55 axle ratio and a gcwr of 14,400 lbs. I know, I know.

It is just the wife and I looking to do long weekends from S/W Florida. I am not new to towing, but my experience has been with boats up to 40ft. I understand TTs are COMPLETELY different. I want to keep my towing experience extremely simple and do NOT want the stress of a TT blowing all over the road. If that happens, I'm out !
We would like a 25 ft TT, but I seem to feel that will be too large. I am zeroing in on the 229 RK, but quite honestly, I am afraid to ask.....
Be kind to a newbie

Posted by Flybouy:
Couple of questions, is that 1,856 lb. payload from the yellow door sticker on your truck? Exactly what trailer are you considering? A Passport 229 is ~27' long with a GVW of 7,200 lbs. That weight will be closer to reality than the "fabled shipping weight". Using 13% as an estimated tongue weight would end up at 936 lbs. TW. Add another 110 lbs. for a decent weight distribution hitch and you are using 1,046 of your payload before you set in the truck. That theoretical remaining payload of 810 lbs. (1856-1,046=810) should be plenty.

Now here's the disclaimers ... that seems like a lot of payload for an F150 with a 355 rear end. That is a good final gear ratio for fuel mileage but a little tall in my opinion for towing. I would have expected the payload to be around 1,400 lbs.

At nearly 27' I think you are at the absolute upper limit for a F150. The tires I suspect are not LT tires therefore they will flex under load and resultant sway (even with a WDH & sway control) may not make for a "I don't even know it's back there" kind of experience.

Couple other tidbits:
My truck originally came with 18" wheels, but I traded them out at the dealer for 20" wheels and I put Nitto Ridge Grappler LT 275/65R20 Load Rated E on it.

The trailer we may be interested in is the 229RK which has a dry weight on the sticker of 5,170 lbs. I understand this may not be realistic. What appeals to me about this rig is not only the weight, but the height at 10 ft 8 and an overall length of just under 27 ft.
https://www.keystonerv.com/product/p...oorplans/229RK

Im not only new to the R/V world, but this forum as well. Hopefully I have posted everything correctly. Thank you for all help.
K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	32573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	32574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	32575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	32576  
Feeding Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Great job of following up with that info. As the payload appears to be real (the super cab is typically higher payload than a crew cab) and the tires are indeed LT. You will be at the upper limits IMHO due to the length as that's a lot sail behind the truck.

My opinion is you should be ok if you drive sensibly. I would suggest not cheeping out on the hitch as the truck will need help controlling the trailer. Get a good quality 4 point hitch with integral sway control , you'll be glad you did.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeding Frenzy View Post
We began our search and RE-SEARCH on R/Ving a month or so ago, but the more we dig, the more frustrated we seem to become. The entire TV thing has me really overwhelmed and in reading the forum posts on towing, the replies seem to range from "wow, extremely helpful", to "what am I getting myself into?"

We have a 2018 F150 4wd, 145 in wheel base, 5.0 8 cyl with a max payload of 1856 lbs, a gvwr of 7050 lbs, a 3.55 axle ratio and a gcwr of 14,400 lbs. I know, I know.

It is just the wife and I looking to do long weekends from S/W Florida. I am not new to towing, but my experience has been with boats up to 40ft. I understand TTs are COMPLETELY different. I want to keep my towing experience extremely simple and do NOT want the stress of a TT blowing all over the road. If that happens, I'm out !
We would like a 25 ft TT, but I seem to feel that will be too large. I am zeroing in on the 229 RK, but quite honestly, I am afraid to ask.....
Be kind to a newbie

Posted by Flybouy:
Couple of questions, is that 1,856 lb. payload from the yellow door sticker on your truck? Exactly what trailer are you considering? A Passport 229 is ~27' long with a GVW of 7,200 lbs. That weight will be closer to reality than the "fabled shipping weight". Using 13% as an estimated tongue weight would end up at 936 lbs. TW. Add another 110 lbs. for a decent weight distribution hitch and you are using 1,046 of your payload before you set in the truck. That theoretical remaining payload of 810 lbs. (1856-1,046=810) should be plenty.

Now here's the disclaimers ... that seems like a lot of payload for an F150 with a 355 rear end. That is a good final gear ratio for fuel mileage but a little tall in my opinion for towing. I would have expected the payload to be around 1,400 lbs.

At nearly 27' I think you are at the absolute upper limit for a F150. The tires I suspect are not LT tires therefore they will flex under load and resultant sway (even with a WDH & sway control) may not make for a "I don't even know it's back there" kind of experience.

Couple other tidbits:
My truck originally came with 18" wheels, but I traded them out at the dealer for 20" wheels and I put Nitto Ridge Grappler LT 275/65R20 Load Rated E on it.

The trailer we may be interested in is the 229RK which has a dry weight on the sticker of 5,170 lbs. I understand this may not be realistic. What appeals to me about this rig is not only the weight, but the height at 10 ft 8 and an overall length of just under 27 ft.

Im not only new to the R/V world, but this forum as well. Hopefully I have posted everything correctly. Thank you for all help.
K
I'm with Marshall, you'll be right at the truck max & you WILL definitely know it's back there, so be ever mindful.
The only useless number you posted was the last one from whatever publication that is of the max tow weight rating, that means nothing to you towing a rv, you'll exceed the payload long before you'd tow a rv that heavy.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Be kind to a newbie

Posted by Flybouy:

Couple other tidbits:

K

Sorry I didn't respond back quicker....had to make the old LP trip to "town" a ways off.

You have posted good information and been doing your homework; congrats. I knew the others would join in the conversation and help and they have. IMO they are right in the assessment of the combo. I've towed longer, heavier TTs with a 1/2 ton but wouldn't recommend it as an optimum way to be safe, and, you see what I drive now in my signature.

The short wheelbase will amplify the movements of the trailer behind you. Semis and winds will push you. I put air bags on my 1/2 tons to help with the body movement - they do nothing to increase your payload. I also beefed up the anti sway bar on one of them but didn't seem to make much difference.

I believe 18 was the first year for the 10 speed auto tranny in the f150? If so it will greatly enhance the capabilities of that 3.55 rear ratio. The 3.55s I've had with 4 or 6 speed trannys were dismal for towing. The new transmissions with 8-10 speeds are real game changers IMO when it comes to maximizing the potential of a gas engine. Between that transmission and the output of the 5.0, which is more than adequate for the proposed trailer, I would think you would be just fine. Watch the weights and the driving - the tail CAN wag the dog.

Don't be afraid of hooking up and going - it is a blast once used to it (won't take long) and offers SO much. You can go, do and see wherever you want to and your home is with you.

Have some friends that we met several years ago in an RV park here in FL. She was a school teacher and he was a fisherman in the Virgin Islands and they lived on their boat...and were happy. They retired from that and bought a used Airstream and parked in the lot where we were. She said it was like a mansion compared to the boat. Then they bought a small house across the street from a bay. She said there was so much room she didn't know what to do with it all. RVing and boating are just 2 ways to have different kinds of fun. I think you will really enjoy having an RV if you're like us and.....you can always keep a boat to take out when you want.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
Gegrad

Welcome from Pennsylvania. As others have posted, as long as you have a good WDH with 4 point sway control that is properly set up you shouldn't have any problems with that trailer and your truck. That trailer is neither too heavy nor too long for you truck, and you will be well under on payload and GVWR. Hope you enjoy!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

One thing you'll need to keep in your mind as you "modify your truck so it looks better"....

Changing from 275 75R18 tires/wheels to 275 75R20 tires/wheels will change your overall RPM@65MPH by about 6%. It may not seem like much, but at that speed, with the OEM (smaller diameter tires) the RPM is 2417. With the larger tires/wheels, the RPM will run 2275 (about 6% slower). This has the effect of lowering your torque curve, keeping the engine below the "optimum power RPM" at a given speed.

According to one chart, essentially, what you've done by installing tires with a larger diameter is changed your "drive line ratio from 3.55 to 3.31". That essentially reduces your "GCWR" that you've highlighted in the last photo from the yellow 3.55 category to the 3.31 category. Granted, the GCWR is only slightly reduced, but when added with "spray in bed liner", running boards, weather tech floor mats and the stuff under the back seat, it all "chips away at performance and ratings" in all categories.

Compare the "new tire values" on these two charts and you'll see what I'm talking about.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r18-275-65r20
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-65r18

The first link is for the "new tire size" compared to the OEM tire size and the second link is the OEM tire size. Note the RPM comparison with the two different tire sizes... With the OEM tires, the RPM@65MPH is significantly higher than with the larger replacement tires.

Also realize that the new tires are heavier, thereby increasing the vehicle curb weight which reduces payload and affects the total trailer capacity based on the relationship between GVW/vehicle weight and GCWR. Subtract the true vehicle weight from the GCWR to obtain the maximum trailer weight. In other words, with a GCWR of 14400, if the truck weighs 5400, the max trailer would be 9000. If the truck weighs 6400, the max trailer would be 8000. Now, compare the GCWR for the 3.55 ratio to the "new tire size reduction to "near 3.31" and you'll see that every little addition does add up to reduced trailer capacity...

You may still be OK, but not using the figures on the truck door which are based on different tire sizes and based on different truck weight ratings because of the tire size.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

John made a point I overlooked in my haste. Oversizing the tires will KILL a marginal towing combination along with adding weight as was mentioned. An effective 3.31 ratio for towing a trailer that size is doable but certainly not optimal IMO and negates nearly all of the towing "specs" (towing abilities) that are posted. Lifting trucks, oversizing tires, leveling kits etc. to make a truck look "cool" are all to the detriment of a trucks towing capability.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Rated at 395 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque, the 5.0-liter has been upgraded for 2018 with a port and direct fuel-injection system to improve efficiency, My old 96 F250 with a 7.5L only had 245 horsepower and 395 lb-ft of torque. My old F250 had an E40D automatic (think was 4 speed). The OP will likely be fine even though he put on some 20" tires. At a true 60 mph, his speedo will show about 64 mph. It will make him drive a little slow to compensate for the final drive ratio change. ;-)
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
Feeding Frenzy

Wow. I appreciate all of the in-depth, technical replies. Your practical experience shows. A couple more bits of information that reading these replies has caused me to realize:

I have a Leer fiberglass cap over the bed.
I have a "Decked System" (pull out drawers) in the bed
I have a front mounted trailer receiver
I have Line X'd the bed
I have a 2" factory leveling kit.

When I started my search, I was really wanting the 25' 6,100 lb Venture Sporttrek 251 vrk. I realized, rather easily, it would be too much. I went to plan B, the Keystone Passport SL 229RK at 5,170 lbs, shorter and not as tall. I felt this would be a realistic compromise to get me and the wife into this.
In reading your well thought out and detailed replies, it appears I should not do this with my current TV. I want this to be fun, and not a burden to drag to a destination. I feel I should keep my boat and not make a giant financial error.

K
Old 03-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

For me there would be no choice....it would be the RV. The problems you have are those that have been mentioned; oversize tires, leveling kit, drawer system in the bed; rear axle ratio etc. To me all are easily fixable other than the gear ratio unless you want to pop that pumpkin and put in a new ring a pinion.

IMO a 1/2 ton truck built/equipped like yours will tow a 7200lb. RV like you are contemplating without any issue. Your issues are the ones mentioned above - nearly all self induced. How to address those, IF you want to address those, OR, if you want a new truck are up to you.

I've owned several boats and loved them and what I did on them. They can't/didn't compare to what the RV provides us - but that's us. Having a "cool" looking truck provided by addons will fade in importance from my experience - if you even made them. In the end I wouldn't want any lifted/leveled 1/2 ton w/oversize tires towing a large RV - it's not conducive to a good/safe experience.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

With the exception of possibly being slightly overloaded, I don't think you'll be facing any "safety related issues" with the truck/trailer combination. What you will face, however, is very likely performance related issues. As you gain towing experience and the trips lengthen, you'll come to a "fork in the road" where you'll be faced with answering the question, "Do I continue with mediocre performance or do I bite the bullet and get a better equipped truck?"

If your plans for the trailer include staying near home for the first year or so, taking short trips, learning what RV'ing is all about and becoming familiar with how things work, how the trailer performs and what you'll need for longer trips, then you shouldn't have any significant issues with the rig.

Planning a trip across the Rockies, however.... now that's an entirely different situation and one that I wouldn't try for several reasons, experience, equipment, familiarity with the rig as well as the tow vehicle....

Don't be afraid of "jumping into the deep end of the pool"... The water's fine and you'll enjoy it, even if you do need to stay close to the edge for the first little while.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #12
Feeding Frenzy

Again, thank you for the thoughtful, detailed responses. Now a little about us and how we would like to use a TT, IF we dive in.
I am a retired yacht Captain, so numbers matter to me. I understand the importance of weight, etc. Boats are constant maintenance and headache, especially the size I was responsible for. Everything was a calculated decision with real consequences (crossing to foreign countries, weight to fuel ratios, cargo and provision values , gallons per hour, etc). Therefore, I really appreciate the input from the obviously more experienced travellers.
It's just the wife and I. No pets, no kids. Just looking to get our feet wet for about two years before we decide if we are all in. Looking to most likely stay within Florida for the first year and maybe venturing further if it goes well. I'd love to do the Outer Banks area !
We obviously want the most TT we can haul, but I have drawn a line in the sand with myself that towing must NOT be a significant stress factor. That being said, I understand I will STILL be towing, and that naturally comes with additional factors. I simply do not want them to overwhelm the experience. This is more about the wife for me. I simply want us to get there safely and without me needing an AED upon arrival at a campsite.
I am COMPLETELY open to suggestions on R/V's, brands, sizes, weights, etc. I'm not dead set on the Passport. Enlighten me, please ...........
Old 03-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Again, thank you for the thoughtful, detailed responses. Now a little about us and how we would like to use a TT, IF we dive in.
I am a retired yacht Captain, so numbers matter to me. I understand the importance of weight, etc. Boats are constant maintenance and headache, especially the size I was responsible for. Everything was a calculated decision with real consequences (crossing to foreign countries, weight to fuel ratios, cargo and provision values , gallons per hour, etc). Therefore, I really appreciate the input from the obviously more experienced travellers.
It's just the wife and I. No pets, no kids. Just looking to get our feet wet for about two years before we decide if we are all in. Looking to most likely stay within Florida for the first year and maybe venturing further if it goes well. I'd love to do the Outer Banks area !
We obviously want the most TT we can haul, but I have drawn a line in the sand with myself that towing must NOT be a significant stress factor. That being said, I understand I will STILL be towing, and that naturally comes with additional factors. I simply do not want them to overwhelm the experience. This is more about the wife for me. I simply want us to get there safely and without me needing an AED upon arrival at a campsite.
I am COMPLETELY open to suggestions on R/V's, brands, sizes, weights, etc. I'm not dead set on the Passport. Enlighten me, please ...........

The above in red is what drove me nuts on the trip I made overloaded in my 1/2 ton. It was a much larger trailer than what you are contemplating. THE thing in my mind as I drove and looked across at her working her games was that she trusted me implicity....and I was failing while she didn't know. Couldn't do it.

Barring any stressful terrain, or emergency situations, the combo you are looking at would probably work IMO. Would I want to keep that truck to tow as a general rule? No. I still think it would do a passable job of towing the prospective trailer particularly if you stay in FL. If you are just getting your feet wet FL has SO many things to see and do. Weights should be within limits it's just the mods to the truck that might affect the performance in certain situations....but I would think that about that particular truck if you were talking about towing a 5k trailer.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:45 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Wow. I appreciate all of the in-depth, technical replies. Your practical experience shows. A couple more bits of information that reading these replies has caused me to realize:

I have a Leer fiberglass cap over the bed.
I have a "Decked System" (pull out drawers) in the bed
I have a front mounted trailer receiver
I have Line X'd the bed
I have a 2" factory leveling kit.

When I started my search, I was really wanting the 25' 6,100 lb Venture Sporttrek 251 vrk. I realized, rather easily, it would be too much. I went to plan B, the Keystone Passport SL 229RK at 5,170 lbs, shorter and not as tall. I felt this would be a realistic compromise to get me and the wife into this.
In reading your well thought out and detailed replies, it appears I should not do this with my current TV. I want this to be fun, and not a burden to drag to a destination. I feel I should keep my boat and not make a giant financial error.

K
The Passport you listed is larger than the 25` model. It,s almost 27` long. Ulike hoats, RV model numbers have nothing to fo with the length. You need to look at the spec sheet for that. The weight you are comparing is a shipping weight that isn't realistic either. For calculations without weighing the rig ready to go camping use the trailer max weight as uou will end up closer to that number.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:22 PM   #15
Bill-2020

You may have gone to a larger wheel, but are the new tires lower in profile than what came on the truck from Ford? You may not have as much of a "larger tire" problem if those new LTs are really closer in overall diameter to the OEM set.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:34 PM   #16
Feeding Frenzy

Bill, I went from 275/65r18 to LT275/65R20
Old 03-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Bill, I went from 275/65r18 to LT275/65R20
Here’s the difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91CFBC39-7797-4CE8-8BD0-21C8BA6FE2AF.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	32643  
Old 03-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #18
DBinSD

Either way you decide, I fully recommend the investment of a ProPride hitch. Worth its weight in gold !

2020 Sprinter 3531FWDEN 5th wheel, pulled by 2020 Ram 3500 quad, 4x4 HO Diesel.
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:10 AM   #19
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Hi Captn, I have my 100 ton masters ticket, towing, and radio endorsements to 49 passengers. After 61 years of owning boats and 40 of various RVs at 73 the decision was made this year ~~ sold the boat. As Jimmy Buffet has a verse, "I have to go where the weather suits my clothes". So we travel nearly 7 months annually to stay mostly warm. More to see and do with the 5er than the boat even though I took them to the islands too. Never had a class B or C but even our As were not as homey as the 5ths we have had. Just me, wife and small dog but 40' fits best.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #20
Mikelff

Quote:

Be kind to a newbie

Posted by Flybouy:

Couple other tidbits:

K
When you went to the LT tires, load range E, was that an upgrade in load range from OEM tires? If so, that may also help with any sway as the tires will have stiffer sidewalls and support more weight. If you want to know the real world numbers for your current truck, take it to the CAT scales and weigh it full of fuel. Then you can figure the rest of the numbers for the truck and know real weights as it sits. As others have said you should be ok.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote