Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 06:30 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

I have no issues with technology when it assist me in doing a task. I'm actually a bit of a techie minded person. I bhuilt my own computers 30 years ago and had wired my house for a network when most folks didn't know what a network was. What I can't accept is what I call "technoglitz" which is adding a bunch of otherwise useless (at least to me) features that cannot be turned off that realy don't add value to the use or experience. Sort of like the "bloatware" that used to come with new computers.

Bottom line for me is this, I don't want to have to call a help line to drive my truck or turn on the furnace in the camper.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:23 AM   #22
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traindude View Post
Just wanted to get some opinions on getting a new truck. So far this what I am thinking. 1ton diesel srw with an 8 ft bed. With that being said any features that you all like or dislike. Not trying to start a debate on trucks Ford vs Chevy, or diesel vs gas. Just ideas on what out there, help hints that sorta thing
Thanx
  • The new HD SRW trucks have vastly improved payloads. Avoid listening to "sweeping generalizations" that may well be wrong. Investigate and check the tag for the vehicle you are purchasing to insure it meets your current and anticipated future payload needs.
  • If towing, get largest available fuel tank - even if you plan to add an axillary tank later.
  • An axillary fuel tank takes some bed space but brings with it a lot of peace of mind by avoiding the anxiety of "where oh where" will I get my next splash of fuel.
  • You will adjust to a new vehicle in short order - get the largest vehicle you can afford that will still be usable. In other words, don't let "fear" of the unknown stop you from considering a diesel DRW. If you are towing LARGE, a diesel DRW is unmatched in comfort and capability. A 3/4 ton is a waste of money when a 1 ton can be purchased for nearly the same amount and will be more capable.
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems are invaluable - some allow integration of the trailer tires into the truck system.
  • The new "puck" hitch systems are marvelous. If buying new, I would insist on the factory installed system.
  • 4X4 is not just for "off road" use - I like having low range just for parking our large trailer. When it snows, it might pay for itself after one "save"!!!
  • Focus on mechanical capability rather than driver's seat bells & whistles. You can always live without heated seats - but you may NOT be able to live with the wrong engine, transmission, and gears.
  • Probably most important, get DW involved - give her something to choose, like the color. LOL

Hope that helps. Good luck on your shopping.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #23
Traindude

Thank you all keep them coming I love reading all the advice
Old 03-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Thank you all keep them coming I love reading all the advice
Most of all ..take your time looking and deciding... there are literally thousands of trucks for every one you think is too good to pass up
Old 03-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #25
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well still love my Bullwinkle mirrors, as they will tuck in when parked. I like convenience features like power windows and power door locks. The Park Sense is handy when getting into a tight spot and rear camera, otherwise I just use the mirrors. keyless entry is nice also, just touch the door handle to unlock the door(s). Heated and cooled seats are nice also.

I will say had a small issue with the keyless entry the other day! Stopped at the grocery store for a couple items, I was staying in the truck with the dog, DW got out and by habit hit the door lock button. I saw a Espresso stand and thought i would get a both a drink. I hit the door unlock button and NOTHING, I pressed a couple times, dang is this gone bad. Oh well I will just open the door, OMG the alarm went off, now we have our air Horn hooked to the regular horn so quite loud! I dig the key fob out of my pocket and hit the alarm button, NOTHING! I try unlock and lock NOTHING. I get out shut the door and hit lock then unlock, FINALLY the alarm quits. It seems because my fob was inside the truck when DW locked with hers outside, the system assumed the truck was being broken into.
My wife decided to "hide" her purse out of site in the truck... I could not lock the truck with my keyfob until her keyfob was out of the truck! Every time I hit the lock button the horn would chirp twice. If there is a fob in the truck it will not lock!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:48 PM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
My wife decided to "hide" her purse out of site in the truck... I could not lock the truck with my keyfob until her keyfob was out of the truck! Every time I hit the lock button the horn would chirp twice. If there is a fob in the truck it will not lock!
It will lock if there is a fob outside near the truck locking the truck. We have had that issue when the fob in my pocket was more than about 3’ from the door.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
It will lock if there is a fob outside near the truck locking the truck. We have had that issue when the fob in my pocket was more than about 3’ from the door.

This is the way ours works as well. If I take off and DW then tries to lock the truck with her purse in it, it won't. As long as I stay by the truck when she places her purse inside then lock it, it works.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #28
Cbrez

Three things I highly recommend: 1-rear view camera. Because I have a trifold tonneau cover I cannot see my hitch from the driver seat. The rear view camera mounted on the top of the truck cab next to the auxiliary brake light gives me a clear view of my alignment when hitching up. 2-side view mirrors that give me a wide view of the rig as I back up. 3-diesel exhaust brake for controlling my downhill speed in the mountains and saving my brakes.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Just wanted to get some opinions on getting a new truck. So far this what I am thinking. 1ton diesel srw with an 8 ft bed. With that being said any features that you all like or dislike. Not trying to start a debate on trucks Ford vs Chevy, or diesel vs gas. Just ideas on what out there, help hints that sorta thing
Thanx

That brings up the question, what are your future plans?

How big are you looking for the future, current one ton diesels will have a payload between 3,800# and about 4,200# that may sound like a lot. Well a 16,000# 5er with a 22% pin will have a pin weight of 3,500#! Well add passengers, hitch, and stuff carried in the truck and that leftover 700# of payload disappears quickly. If the future plans exceed 16,000# think about getting a DRW now.

As to options park sense or parking assist is nice, exhaust brake is standard on all new HD diesel pickups.
Puck system for 5er hitch is a must have.
Tow package with integrated brake controller.
Power Heated tow mirrors.
4X4 it is cheap insurance.
Comfort options of your choice.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:36 AM   #30
DBinSD

Be simple

FWIW- Some have mentioned a SRW 1ton has limited payload. I find that absurd unless you are towing something with a pin weight excess of 2800 pounds.
My 2020 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with HO TD and short bed has #4020 pounds payload.
4020 - 2230 pin (39’ 5th wheel) leaves 1790 pounds for people, dogs, fuel, aux fuel tank, hitch and any gear carried in the truck.
Granted a dually has 300# more capacity but, if you can’t make 1790# work. You should be looking at an F450 and a ton more $.
The “puck system” pre installed is a must have !
The cruise control of the engine going down hill is fantastic !
I had a more upgraded Big Horn and find I like the Tradesman better. Less gadgets.
Enjoy the hunt !
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #31
vancouverbrian

I ordered my 2017 F350 so my experience is with FORD.

I concentrated on the utility of the truck rather than the technology. Some of the things I would concentrate on:

- the long bed came with the 48 gal tank. A lifesaver.
- I ordered the 5th wheel prep package from the factory. I would recommend this.
- Upfitter switches. Cheap and hard to add after.
- Power Mirrors. It came standard in my Lariat but use all the time.
- I added Line X after as it is guaranteed for life.

I did not order LED lights as I drive during the day. Some rave about them.
I ordered remote start and never use it.
I ordered power running boards and love them but not required.

I am sure the truck you get will be sweet. Good luck.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #32
MrEnto

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"I am not a fan of all the electronic "safety" gizmos they keep putting on the vehicles - I can drive myself and do NOT like some computer program trying to pull the wheel out of my hands."
I'm with Danny on this one. I do NOT want the truck to drive itself. With cruise and this lane change crap you can just slide into the back seat and scratch the dogs belly? Where does it end? Can you not drive for Pete's sake? People can't keep the truck at an even speed, they can't keep the truck in the correct lane, they can't stop before they hit the car in front of them and for God's sake the truck has to back the fiver into the lake itself when you get there. (It won't know it's a lake)
When you feel the need for all this I dearly hope you and your rig are miles from me. Is this a little harsh? Give it some thought. I could be driving 32K of rig laying in the bedroom from my iPhone. With a cold beer.

Yea,,, Give me point ignition and a good ol carb........
MrEnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:59 AM   #33
Camp CA

Quote:
..............1ton diesel srw with an 8 ft bed. With that being said any features that you all like or dislike. .......
I like an entry level truck to keeps the cost down. I recently purchased a 2016 F350 XL DRW crew cab with tow package with 2000 miles for 1/2 the price of a new one. I then had my local truck shop add fifth wheel hitch, factory window tint, mud flaps, tonneau cover, alarm, hood protector, wind scoops, chrome wheels and sirus radio.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #34
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEnto View Post
Yea,,, Give me point ignition and a good ol carb........
Which equals higher maintenance & less full mileage.
The best things they've ever done to engines was electronic ignition & fuel injection & now adding turbos to smaller engines making them much more useful, even more economical & adding horsepower.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:19 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post
FWIW- Some have mentioned a SRW 1ton has limited payload. I find that absurd unless you are towing something with a pin weight excess of 2800 pounds.
My 2020 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with HO TD and short bed has #4020 pounds payload.
4020 - 2230 pin (39’ 5th wheel) leaves 1790 pounds for people, dogs, fuel, aux fuel tank, hitch and any gear carried in the truck.
Granted a dually has 300# more capacity but, if you can’t make 1790# work. You should be looking at an F450 and a ton more $.
The “puck system” pre installed is a must have !
The cruise control of the engine going down hill is fantastic !
I had a more upgraded Big Horn and find I like the Tradesman better. Less gadgets.
Enjoy the hunt !

The key in your statement above in red is keeping the pin less than 2800lbs. That in and of itself makes a 1 ton limited - I have one with a similar payload as yours. Many, many 5th wheels will have a pin weight over 2800lbs - mine is just shy and all my truck should carry IMO.

To imply that a 1 ton is NOT limited can easily be misconstrued as saying just that without the qualifying weight limit. Folks looking into a potential truck or RV for the truck need to keep that qualifier in mind and know how to calculate the estimated pin before jumping in with a "monster" 1 ton and find themselves underwater on pin weight.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #36
Coach

Long box vs Short box

Quote:
Thanx
I think you will be quite happy with one ton, allows a fair bit of cargo / hitch weight without getting into the dually scenario. I have a 14 Dodge with deleted 6.7, Aisin Trans, 3.42 rear ratio and 8' box. Pulls great and drives very well I believe the longer wheel base helps tow a little better as they handle better. Advantage to short box is a little lighter so more carrying capacity. A consideration is that the Ford with 8' box is several inches longer than Ram. This is a big factor if putting into a garage.

Parking in mall lots and similar is a pain with the long box however having more box room is a plus. I am looking at newer TV and likely go 8' box again
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #37
jamtracy

I love my 2021 GMC 3500HD Denali dually.
All of the camera views are great. The multi port tailgate is awesome to get in or out of the truck bed.
We opted for the stereo in the bumper which is great when camping or hopefully soon to be tailgating.

Love the puck system for my B&W hitch. No more rails in the bed.
Yeah it has all of the tech gizmos that some people don’t like. But again the cameras in the mirrors, front, bed and hitch are pretty sweet.

Being in California we had to order our truck back in October and it came in late December just in time for employee pricing. There wasn’t one in the color we wanted anywhere.

I’ve never owned a different brand other than GM but I’m sure you can’t go wrong with any of the 3.
Only con is GM does not offer Adaptive Cruise control in their HDs.

James
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #38
jimmyg

I did this a year ago. Looked for best price. Ended up with gmc 3500 drw 8ft bed for very near srw price. Problem was finding a srw on lot. Drw no bed load tow load or stability issues. We tend to upgrade camper about every three years. Now with drw no limits. Just go heavier rating on hitch. Need to note. Waited till end of year for best price. Little more limited on selection.
jimmyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #39
NevadaRich

Traindude, Most of us have started with a 2500, but as most will tell you, you keep going bigger till you find what you like....I have had 2 Truck campers, (still have one for winter)
2 5th wheels and now a 43ft Toy Hauler......Went to a 3500 DRW about 3 trucks ago and have a 3500 GMC now....The more you tow and run into windy areas, the more you would want the DRW....Like someone said above, get the truck you want, but if you will get bigger later on, then go big on the truck....Good Luck safe Travels..
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #40
adeakins

Quote:
Thanx
Depends on what you’re towing, I suppose. I wouldn’t pull anything over 8,000 lbs that is mot (a) a 5th wheel and (b) without DRW. But, that’s just me. I took a leap of faith and bought a 2020 F350 7.3 liter gas truck with - of course - an 8’ bed. It’s a dually. Can’t say I enjoy the ride, but it pulls my 14,000 lb Montana through the Smoky Mountains as good as my previous 7.3 diesel did pulling a smaller 5’er. Towing gas mileage is a bit better than the diesel but worse than the diesel without the trailer in tow. Fuel cost savings is the difference between regular gas and diesel which, east of the Mississippi, ranges from around 30¢ to over 60¢ a gallon. Out west, not so much.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote