Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post
If that is too much weight to hang from the pin then I'm not hitching up to that trailer!!!! He's just trying to save some money since the truck came with a B&W 5th wheel hitch, that's why he let the GooseBox setup go with the rig he sold.

I'd bet if this doesn't go smoothly he'll buy another GooseBox since his new truck has the factory puck system in it and I think it came with a goose ball too.
- Dave
The hitch was designed to have downward vertical pressure on the plate with horizontal pressure on the jaws, not hanging with all the pressure vertically upwards on the jaws. So I agree that's a lot of weight hanging in an unusual position!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #22
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The hitch was designed to have downward vertical pressure on the plate with horizontal pressure on the jaws, not hanging with all the pressure vertically upwards on the jaws. So I agree that's a lot of weight hanging in an unusual position!
If you don't experience both upward AND downward forces (of more than 130lb) on your pin and hitch jaws when going down the road then you must travel on some mighty smooth roads.
- Dave

Also you would think if there was a concern then B&W wouldn't offer this:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acc...t_Bracket.aspx
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #23
Mikelff

I have seen a couple B&W hitches hanging from the pin in my storage lot. Thought about trying it myself but then thought about Murphy. So, I have a block and tackle in the rafters (I reinforced) of my garage and lift my B&W hitch out of my truck with ease. Don’t have to separate the plate. Works like a charm! Easy peasy. My garage ceiling is drywalled so did have to punch some holes, but easily repaired when I’m ready. Plenty of room to clear the bed an roof of my truck. I was leaving it hanging all the way up, but then remembered Murphy is out there. I now lower it on to a furniture dolly and can wheel it to where ever I want it. Works great!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post
If you don't experience both upward AND downward forces (of more than 130lb) on your pin and hitch jaws when going down the road then you must travel on some mighty smooth roads.
- Dave

Also you would think if there was a concern then B&W wouldn't offer this:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acc...t_Bracket.aspx
I don't think it's the "momentary forces in travel" that pose a risk, rather it's the "consistent and persistent forces posed by storage" that present the problem. A "good example" of what I mean is an electric range burner. It's designed to get "cherry red hot" and can easily withstand those temperatures during cooking and when a pot or pan is on the burner, the pan absorbs much of the heat, helping cool the burner element. In that "use pattern" the burner element will last "a lifetime". On the other hand, turn that same burner on high, walk away and come back in 24 hours..... Chances are it will no longer be "burning cherry red hot"....

As for "things mechanical not being able to support the same "upward force as downward force".. Every airplane I know of is stressed for greater positive G's than for negative G's. Depending on the airplane, pull back on the stick and you'll survive 4-8 G's easily, push forward on the stick and the wings will buckle before you get to -2 G's.

That "adapter" is designed to lift the hitch out of the truck, not to store it suspended on the hoist.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #25
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That "adapter" is designed to lift the hitch out of the truck, not to store it suspended on the hoist.
I hate speculation and references/analogies that don't apply.

So I went to the source and asked Keystone and B&W for feedback, I'll post their responses.

- Dave
Old 02-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's what's on etrailer.com, "straight from the horse's mouth at Pullrite Hitch MFG". https://www.etrailer.com/question-210690.html

Recommended Lifting Bracket And Crane For Removing 5th Wheel Hitch
Question:
Will it do damage to the king pin and pin box to let my Pullrite super glide hitch hang off the king pin when not attached to truck?

asked by: Stanley S

Expert Reply:
I reached out to PullRite and they said you can definitley use the trailer to remove the hitch from your truck, but you don't want to leave it hanging there. They suggest lowering onto saw horses or another sturdy surface. That is a lot of weight to leave on your pin box and king pin as well as the jaws of your hitch.

Here's another "generic hitch response from etrailer": https://www.etrailer.com/question-77607.html

Can a 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch Hang from the Trailer Kingpin when Its too Heavy to Move Alone
Question:
I want to have my truck washed and the bed cleaned out but the 5th wheel hitch is to heavy for me alone so I was thinking to connect my truck to trailer secure my trailer and release pins on hitch and lift off my truck using landing gear and pulling truck away to car wash so my question is will that damage my hitch or trailer leaving it dangling there thank you

asked by: Candice

Expert Reply:
You do not want to do this. It can damage the hitch but more importantly if it were to fall it could badly injure someone. If you try to lift the whole hitch and base out together it is going to be difficult. All you have to do is unbolt or unpin (depending on the hitch model) the head from the base. Remove the head, then remove the base.

I'd be interested in what response you get from B&W.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:55 PM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's what's on etrailer.com, "straight from the horse's mouth at Pullrite Hitch MFG". https://www.etrailer.com/question-210690.html

Recommended Lifting Bracket And Crane For Removing 5th Wheel Hitch
Question:
Will it do damage to the king pin and pin box to let my Pullrite super glide hitch hang off the king pin when not attached to truck?

asked by: Stanley S

Expert Reply:
I reached out to PullRite and they said you can definitley use the trailer to remove the hitch from your truck, but you don't want to leave it hanging there. They suggest lowering onto saw horses or another sturdy surface. That is a lot of weight to leave on your pin box and king pin as well as the jaws of your hitch.

Here's another "generic hitch response from etrailer": https://www.etrailer.com/question-77607.html

Can a 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch Hang from the Trailer Kingpin when Its too Heavy to Move Alone
Question:
I want to have my truck washed and the bed cleaned out but the 5th wheel hitch is to heavy for me alone so I was thinking to connect my truck to trailer secure my trailer and release pins on hitch and lift off my truck using landing gear and pulling truck away to car wash so my question is will that damage my hitch or trailer leaving it dangling there thank you

asked by: Candice

Expert Reply:
You do not want to do this. It can damage the hitch but more importantly if it were to fall it could badly injure someone. If you try to lift the whole hitch and base out together it is going to be difficult. All you have to do is unbolt or unpin (depending on the hitch model) the head from the base. Remove the head, then remove the base.

I'd be interested in what response you get from B&W.
Thanks John for referencing the non speculation & analogies that DO apply!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #28
NevadaRich

I have the Puck System now and I also place a Truck Camper on the same truck for winter RVing....I went and picked up a engine Hoist to remove the Hitch from the truck and place it on the floor...easy and safe...Also the Puck sometimes don't just drop in, but I can move one side at a time when its already in the bed of the truck
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:44 PM   #29
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
I have seen it done quite a bit, comes out easy , but going back in you just have to set it on the bed and realease it and fiddle around to get it off the 5th. then manualy lift it around to remount it. I just doing like the idea of leaving a 1000 buck hitch out where anyone can steel it or if something broke it could fall and possibly hurt some one.

Steve
My opinion runs contrary to most expressed here. I have hung my hitch by the 5th wheel pin on numerous occasions and for a variety of reasons - never had a problem with the puck alignment when coming out. See: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...p?albumid=1112

As Steve points out in the quote above, when re-installing just get it close, gently lower the hitch onto the bed, release the 5th wheel pin, pull forward a bit, align the pucks and lock the hitch down, and you are all set. Easy to do.

Most of the "expert opinions" from the etrailer sales staff are focused on the liability of the hanging weight. I wouldn't expect anything else from a manufacturer or supplier. I probably wouldn't hang my hitch in a public place, but I've had no problems hanging my locked hitch inside my fenced and locked back yard at the house.

Damage the hitch or jaws? When towing I have 3000# bouncing, yanking, and pulling on that hitch, the jaws, the pin, the pin box, and the trailer frame. If it won't take 200# hanging motionless while sitting in my back yard, then I need a different hitch.

As I pointed out, just my opinion based on my experience of actually doing this...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #30
dronning

Got a response from B&W about storing the hitch by hanging it. Still waiting response from Keystone. Checked several pin box weights and based on what I found the combo of the pin box and my B&W hitch might only be 50lbs heavier than some of the heaviest pin boxes alone.
=======================
Your ticket is now solved!

Form submission from: Contact Us

Brooklyn
Mon, 02/22/21 6:24 am

Good morning David!
Thank you for your inquiry.
Yes it is perfectly fine to lift and suspend the hitch with our lifting device as long as it's secured around the jaws. We do not recommend lifting anything over 500 lbs with the device.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Have a great day!
Brooklyn

B&W Trailer Hitches
Sun, 02/21/21 12:22 pm

Submitted on Sunday, February 21, 2021 - 12:22
Submitted by user: Anonymous
Submitted values are:

Can I stow my Companion 5th wheel hitch by hanging it from a B&W 5th Wheel Lifting Device until I need it again. This could be a month or so.
- Dave
Old 02-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #31
jimborokz

A hitch hanging from a pin box is a static load. When it's bouncing down the road it's a dynamic load. The design factor for a static load is generally X1 and for a dynamic load is generally X10, so theoretically you can hang it on the pin with no issue. Having said that I don't think I would do it. It just doesn't seem right to have that thing dangling there.

My B&W slider weighs 275# and even with the top removed it's still over 200.
I bought an engine lift from Harbor Freight on sale for $99 and made a lift adaptor for about $10 like E-trailer sells for $50. Just used a 2"x6" pipe nipple with two end caps. Drilled and tapped one cap for an eye bolt. Works like a charm. I had to make an extension for the lift to reach far enough into the truck bed but it is a 1 ton lift so not an issue .

Should have seen the look on the face of the cashier when I checked out of the hardware store with the pipe. Hmmm, Pipe bomb?

Anyway I pull it for off season and set it on a furniture dolly and roll it to a corner of the garage for storage.

This works for me.

Hardest part is on reinstallation getting those darn pucks to line up with the holes cleanly. Haven't done it yet. I just set it in and jockey each corner with a short pinch bar to get it to drop in.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #32
Javi

Boy.... we sure strayed

I'm thinking this fellow (OP) just wanted to hang the hitch while he was camping so he could use his whole bed to haul a four-wheeler or something out to the boonies... I don't think he'll be dragging an engine hoist or a come along and A-frame with him...

Like I said... can you.... most likely...

Would I.... NOPE

Old 02-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #33
philbtv

I just put the B&W turnover ball in my 2015 Ram 2500 for our Andersen hitch. I agree it is easy in and out! Plus having a clean bed after you are done towing is awesome!

2018 Cougar 279RKSWE
2015 Ram 2500
Andersen Ultimate w/ B&W Turnover ball
philbtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:24 PM   #34
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
That is a lot of weight to hang off the king pin box. I would not do that. Instead adapting the kin pin box with a gooseneck coupler and install a gooseneck hitch in the truck bed.
Why not just by a Goosebox for the new 5er? Cheaper than a new hitch, and Get a gooseneck ball for the puck system.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:41 PM   #35
scottz

I do it frequently and have been doing so for many years. That is where my hitch spends the winter. The lever is locked in place, inside my shop, no kids. However, it does hurt when I bang my head into it; just like the pin box does. Not an endorsement; just what I do.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch