Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #41
xrated

I just installed my gravity feed kit a few days ago on a 2016 Ford diesel and there was no cutting of anything metal. I removed the entire filler neck tube (three bolts at the opening inside the fuel door) and then removed the clamp from the rubber hose that goes to the tank. After getting measurements, I cut out the length that I needed to remove in order to place the metal "T" in the line and reclamped the end and replaced the bolts up by the fuel door. Zero risk of anything getting into the fuel tank and certainly zero metal filings.

The next day (we had almost 70 degrees that day), I applied a self etching primer to the tank after lightly sanding it, then put two coats of it on. After drying, I sprayed on Rustoleum Pro Black Bed Liner to the tank and I'm letting that cure/completely dry. Now I have to wait for decent weather to finish the install in the bed of the truck. I'm over half way done.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #42
JackinDixie

No drilling on the 2011 RAM 2500 CC LB Diesel fuel neck.... Gravity feed, works GREAT!!!
Branford, FL
JackinDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #43
skmct

It appears that many of you feel that gravity feed t anks are OK with dot and local laws. I did my DD about 5 years ago and could not reach a conclusion that satisfied me. I also felt that feeding any kind of fuel from the bottom of a tank left me open to many possibilities and not all good ones. I did find this from five years ago. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-173791-4.html. I a sorry I don't know how to attach a link. In closing I will say I chose to error on the side of caution when I bought my tank.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #44
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
It appears that many of you feel that gravity feed t anks are OK with dot and local laws. I did my DD about 5 years ago and could not reach a conclusion that satisfied me. I also felt that feeding any kind of fuel from the bottom of a tank left me open to many possibilities and not all good ones. I did find this from five years ago. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-173791-4.html. I a sorry I don't know how to attach a link. In closing I will say I chose to error on the side of caution when I bought my tank.
We have pretty much already covered the legality of a "Diesel aux. tank" and there is absolutely zero issues with doing that. The fact that the aux tank is flowing into the truck's main tank makes it OK. The illegal part would be if you tried to feed it directly into a carb or an injector. I would venture to say that it is likely that most, if not all tanks that are manufactured for diesel are DOT approved, I know that mine is.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #45
skmct

Iam not going to get into a argument over this issue. But if you
Are satisfied with you system good . We all make choices. I made mine. I only added the last link so others could be more informed on the possible issues of a gravity feed system. Iam not a lawyer so I will take back my comments about the legality of a gravity feed system. Because dot has not been completely clear about diesel aux tanks what ever says dot approved must be good it will be up to a judge to decide if the approved transfer tank was being used as it was approved for.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #46
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
Iam not going to get into a argument over this issue. But if you
Are satisfied with you system good . We all make choices. I made mine. I only added the last link so others could be more informed on the possible issues of a gravity feed system. Iam not a lawyer so I will take back my comments about the legality of a gravity feed system. Because dot has not been completely clear about diesel aux tanks what ever says dot approved must be good it will be up to a judge to decide if the approved transfer tank was being used as it was approved for.
I didn't post what I did to start an argument, I posted it to inform others that it was perfectly legal when used as it was intended, with DOT blessings. Doing that with gasoline is certainly illegal, but this thread was about diesel aux. tanks. And quite honestly, do you really think that any well known/large manufacturer like RDS and others would produce a tank that didn't meet DOT guidelines and risk having the company sued for millions of dollars in damages if something happened?

Old 02-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #47
xrated

Finally, we've had some fantastic weather here in the Knoxville are for the last three days and I finally got to finish up my aux. tank install. I primered and painted it a couple of weeks ago and turn it from shiny aluminum plate to a Black bedliner color. Tuesday and Wednesday was spent getting it installed and the only thing left to do is put some diesel in the tank and make sure I have no leaks...both from the gravity feed AND from the pump, as I changed few fittings there also. So, here we go with some pictures of the tank in the bed of the truck. The 1st one is an overhead shot taken with me standing on the bedrail of the truck and shooting downward. The a side view from the driver side of the truck, then finally, a shot looking down at the gravity feed part of it and where it goes through the bed of the truck to the feed pipe into the main tank. The wiring that you will see in that last picture is for my Viair Compressor, which is mounted inside the toolbox in the truck bed.

Tags
fuel, tank, weight distribution