Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Yep, we love the look of the short beds, particularly when attached to the large phony 8" exhaust and the fake dual stacks coming out of the back shooting up behind the tool box...hmmmm. I'm particularly impressed with the jacked up Jeeps (etc) that have never seen Mississippi gumbo in their life. Oh to be under 30 and stupid again. I still try on occasion, but all I can come up with is the 'stupid' part.
Hah! Yep, even if I tried can't get the "young" part back, the stupid happens and nowadays it ain't fun....it just usually HURTS.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #42
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
sorry for veering away but what keeps the Anderson hitch from rotating on the gooseneck ball and scratching up the bed? It looks like just the weight of the fiver holds the square base down on the bed. I wondered why it wouldn’t have at least one pin to hold in place on the base
It's captured to the truck gooseneck ball by 2 pins and tensioned by a draw down nut.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #43
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Post #24
Next time you spot an ambulance headed your way, look at the license plate. If it's licensed correctly it must be all yellow with blue letters/numbers. 1st character is "T" followed by numbers. That plate is issued for any comm. vehicle that weights (NOT GVWR) 8,000 lbs plus and used for hire, except a bus. (bus needs a bus plate)
Ambulances and Hearses normally need T plates. Many do not have them. There are transporters of RVs (paid to move them). They all need T plates if there a 250/2500 or larger and or transporter plates. ( Which is a T plate to transport only)
If joe the plumper has his name on the side of a f250 and it's rear end is really low due to being loaded with pipe. He needs a T plate, Because he is over 8000 lbs. If empty he may be legal without the T plate depending on the truck.
At 26001 lbs plus then it's a PUC plate if for hire. If it's a private use semi truck example: (owned and operated to move a race his car) Back to needing a T plate.
Point being 3/4 tons likely all need T plates if for hire and carrying any goods or people.
Thanks Ken,
I don’t use my truck for hire or in my work, so standard vehicle plates work for me.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #44
Rocketsled

Saw a guy (had to be a guy) with a lifted Ford 1 ton with bigger, wider, blocky tires, no hitch, and a cap over the bed...what’s up with that?
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:58 AM   #45
Roscommon48

just buy a new gmc one ton. you can't go wrong with it.

since we only have one vehicle we have srw, dually would just be a pain.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #46
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
just buy a new gmc one ton. you can't go wrong with it.

since we only have one vehicle we have srw, dually would just be a pain.
Worst reason ever to only have a SRW! If the 5er size is too big you need DRW. GM SRW up to 2021 had low GVWR like 11,500# so not much over 3,800# of payload.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #47
jasin1

Spent the day test driving and looking at trucks.....what a waste of time. Now isn’t the best time to buy a truck. Hardly anything on the lot at ram,Ford ,Chevy and gmc. Found a 1 ton dually ltz Denali with all the bells and whistles but had steel wheels instead of aluminum ...from the factory! The mgr said gmc is running low on supplies and if they order a truck with too many options they will kick it back and not build it. Steel wheels aren’t bad but if you are paying for a Denali it should have Denali things on it. It was on the sticker this way. Went and tried to track down a f450 ,supposed to be on a lot at a Ford dealer and they don’t know where it is. Claimed it’s at another dealer 100 miles away. Ram Laramie dually was nice and prob would buy it but they ordered it without the factory 50 gallon tank and no bed liner or other ones that had the tank but the 68rfe and no fifth wheel prep .Small things I know but when your buying a $70000 vehicle it should be right. Even looked at a Chevy 2500 with a gvwr of 11350 lbs ..Allison and duramax. Test drove it..liked it and went in to talk prices and mgr said they are not participating in employee pricing on this truck because it’s a sought after model and wanted me to pay sticker..waisted 2 hours ..another Ford dealer I went to said no new orders on duallys right now. Factory is behind and wants to catch up on cars that have a wider market he said other dealers won’t even trade amongst themselves if I wanted him to find me one ...I’m gonna wait till spring I think
Old 12-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #48
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
It's captured to the truck gooseneck ball by 2 pins and tensioned by a draw down nut.
Thanks I appreciate. If I get a shortbed I’m gonna go this route and get rid of my Reese slider
Old 12-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #49
travelin texans

Quote:
Spent the day test driving and looking at trucks.....what a waste of time. Now isn’t the best time to buy a truck. Hardly anything on the lot at ram,Ford ,Chevy and gmc. Found a 1 ton dually ltz Denali with all the bells and whistles but had steel wheels instead of aluminum ...from the factory! The mgr said gmc is running low on supplies and if they order a truck with too many options they will kick it back and not build it. Steel wheels aren’t bad but if you are paying for a Denali it should have Denali things on it. It was on the sticker this way. Went and tried to track down a f450 ,supposed to be on a lot at a Ford dealer and they don’t know where it is. Claimed it’s at another dealer 100 miles away. Ram Laramie dually was nice and prob would buy it but they ordered it without the factory 50 gallon tank and no bed liner or other ones that had the tank but the 68rfe and no fifth wheel prep .Small things I know but when your buying a $70000 vehicle it should be right. Even looked at a Chevy 2500 with a gvwr of 11350 lbs ..Allison and duramax. Test drove it..liked it and went in to talk prices and mgr said they are not participating in employee pricing on this truck because it’s a sought after model and wanted me to pay sticker..waisted 2 hours ..another Ford dealer I went to said no new orders on duallys right now. Factory is behind and wants to catch up on cars that have a wider market he said other dealers won’t even trade amongst themselves if I wanted him to find me one ...I’m gonna wait till spring I think
That Ford dealer fed you a line if BS, they don't build trucks in the same factory as cars nor do the other brands.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #50
jasin1

I also found this today. It buys me another 400 lbs of legal gvwr. At least on paper.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #51
jasin1

Hopefully uploaded this time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E25F90A4-E7C0-49BB-805C-87E95C4AF03A.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	31158  
Old 12-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #52
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That Ford dealer fed you a line if BS, they don't build trucks in the same factory as cars nor do the other brands.
I said cars but should have said trucks.. it was plaza Ford in bel air MD. It was cold out and I didnt stay long. He brought me the keys to a f350 Laramie srw that had the gvwr decrease package( no charge) of 10000 lbs Only Laramie he had. Only had a 1900 rated payload. Bs I know but I’m already in that boat with my ram.. he seemed adamant that there was nothing out there He said dealers are taking them off the nationwide search page and keeping them on the lots for ther local customers. I don’t know why he would make up stories to me. I definitely looked like someone interested and with the means to buy a truck
Old 12-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #53
jasin1

The plaza guy did say that it’s getting better. He said a month ago they had nothing truck wise on the lot. Also I couldn’t locate one decent 1 ton gmc or Chevy srw that wasn’t a work truck. A bunch of 2500s that mostly say “in transit” and a few 3500 if I remember correctly.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #54
jasin1

Quote:
Man I’m getting tired. It was a ltz Silverado not a Denali But did have steel wheels on the sticker. The salesman sent me pictures he took this evening. I thought I was seeing things but it was steel wheels ..he was a pretty decent guy to deal with They are supposed to call me tomorrow and see if they find some factory aluminum wheels but I think I’ve made up my mind to wait
Old 12-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #55
jasin1

Here’s what he sent me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD94B182-B42F-4DAB-876B-3F3D35A74F6C.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	31159   Click image for larger version

Name:	1FFA6281-6785-4953-8A06-4DAEF3E48147.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	31160  
Old 12-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #56
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Here’s what he sent me
Let me add something else to consider to this mix:

On most DRW trucks with steel wheels, you can rotate all 6 tires to any position. On every DRW that I've seen with aluminum wheels, only 4 are aluminum (two front and outside two on the rear), so to rotate the tires to all 6 positions, you'll need to dismount/remount the tires on the steel wheels (if you intend to add them to the tire rotation sequence)...

So, having steel wheels may not be the "worst issue" with a DRW truck. "Prettiness" is important, but when you consider $15 per wheel every 5K miles, it does mean a significant increase in maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #57
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Let me add something else to consider to this mix:

On most DRW trucks with steel wheels, you can rotate all 6 tires to any position. On every DRW that I've seen with aluminum wheels, only 4 are aluminum (two front and outside two on the rear), so to rotate the tires to all 6 positions, you'll need to dismount/remount the tires on the steel wheels (if you intend to add them to the tire rotation sequence)...

So, having steel wheels may not be the "worst issue" with a DRW truck. "Prettiness" is important, but when you consider $15 per wheel every 5K miles, it does mean a significant increase in maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle..... YMMV
Yes Javi pointed also pointed that out to me ... I guess I shouldn’t rule it out. Just got myself all worked up today going to a bunch of dealers. Even my DW is staying away from me this evening
Old 12-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #58
JRTJH
Site Team

In 2014, back when trucks were plentiful and every dealership had bunches on the lot, I looked for 3 months to find my current truck. It was too late to order a 2014 and the 2015's were in short supply. I was shopping 2014's to try to find a "good buy" and didn't want to spend the extra for a 2015 (that didn't have all the incentives).... Anyway, long story short, after 3 very frustrating months of calling dealerships, searching the internet, traveling to Wisconsin where a salesman told me, "I've got exactly what you want, sitting on my lot, come look at it, the price is XXXX.", DW and I drove the 300 miles (one way) to find it wasn't what I wanted, wasn't the right color, wasn't a diesel, wasn't <you fill in the blanks> and the price, according to his sales manager was a mistake and they wouldn't sell me what I didn't want for a price I had been quoted.... So, 600 miles later, still frustrated, I saw our current truck advertised on a Ford lot in Sterling Heights, about 15 miles from DW's sister. We took a chance, drove down to have supper with relatives and drove over. We bought "exactly" what we had been looking for, in a 2015 model with more "incentives" than the left over 2014's had.....

So, don't give up, it's frustrating to keep running into "dead ends" but eventually you'll find what you're looking for. And, in the meantime, if your DW "gets too close" bite your tongue and count to 10.... You'll be glad you did, once this is all "a distant memory"..... BTDT

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:38 AM   #59
notanlines

There doesn't seem to be the truck shortage in Florida you speak of, but the demand here is probably a little less. Our friends in Okeechobee just ordered a new F350 Lariat from Gilbert Ford and there was no mention of problems. However, this new F350 is on their lot and you don't see many like it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4860.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	31162  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:22 AM   #60
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In 2014, back when trucks were plentiful and every dealership had bunches on the lot, I looked for 3 months to find my current truck. It was too late to order a 2014 and the 2015's were in short supply. I was shopping 2014's to try to find a "good buy" and didn't want to spend the extra for a 2015 (that didn't have all the incentives).... Anyway, long story short, after 3 very frustrating months of calling dealerships, searching the internet, traveling to Wisconsin where a salesman told me, "I've got exactly what you want, sitting on my lot, come look at it, the price is XXXX.", DW and I drove the 300 miles (one way) to find it wasn't what I wanted, wasn't the right color, wasn't a diesel, wasn't <you fill in the blanks> and the price, according to his sales manager was a mistake and they wouldn't sell me what I didn't want for a price I had been quoted.... So, 600 miles later, still frustrated, I saw our current truck advertised on a Ford lot in Sterling Heights, about 15 miles from DW's sister. We took a chance, drove down to have supper with relatives and drove over. We bought "exactly" what we had been looking for, in a 2015 model with more "incentives" than the left over 2014's had.....

So, don't give up, it's frustrating to keep running into "dead ends" but eventually you'll find what you're looking for. And, in the meantime, if your DW "gets too close" bite your tongue and count to 10.... You'll be glad you did, once this is all "a distant memory"..... BTDT
im going to slow down and look for the right truck. Your right it’s out there,and I never give up on something I want no matter how long it takes