Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
SICARIO

Mattress Thickness

New to the keystone world. I have a passport 292BHWE on order. I’d like to have a new mattress here when it arrives. I’m wondering if anyone knows the standard thickness of the keystone mattress (queen size), or has recommendations on how thick to go. I know I can go thicker, around 8-10”, however I wonder how that would interact with the nightstand table height or if it will even be an issue.

Thanks
SICARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICARIO View Post
New to the keystone world. I have a passport 292BHWE on order. I’d like to have a new mattress here when it arrives. I’m wondering if anyone knows the standard thickness of the keystone mattress (queen size), or has recommendations on how thick to go. I know I can go thicker, around 8-10”, however I wonder how that would interact with the nightstand table height or if it will even be an issue.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. There is no "standard" thickness for a mattress that I'm aware of. You can bet that it comes from the factory with the thinnest mattress they can find. I'd suggest going to the dealer that carries that model and take a ruler with you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Make sure you know what kind of "queen" mattress it is; residential queen, rv queen etc. RVs have some weird mattress sizes and shapes.

Don't know about the height of the nightstand. You might see if a king bed is an option? Ours had a king bed and we cut down the platform to a residential queen then just put in a residential mattress - about 13-14" if I recall. The built in nightstands are below the height of the mattress but since the mattress is smaller it is of no consequence and we don't use them anyway other than to support our arms. Our night stands are 9-10" above the mattress platform.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
SICARIO

Thanks, ours will come with a residential queen, and I believe the thickness is 6-8”. I think we’ll just roll the dice and go with the 10” and not worry about the mattress to nightstand height difference.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
skids

Quote:
Thanks, ours will come with a residential queen, and I believe the thickness is 6-8”. I think we’ll just roll the dice and go with the 10” and not worry about the mattress to nightstand height difference.
To me it is difficult as-is to reach between the hanging closet and the mattress to plug anything in.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Javi

The mattress in our new Avalanche 313RS was supposed to be 8" but in truth barely scared 6" ... we replaced it with an 11" from Denver mattress.

We're headed out Friday and will gladly report on how comfortable it is.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Our factory mattress is 6” thick; one layer of 1” comfort foam, one layer of 4” support foam and then one layer of 1” comfort foam. I disassembled and reorganized the layers then added a 3” gel infused memory foam topper.

If you went with a 10” mattress you should be fine. The nightstands don’t restrict mattress thickness, but there are other factors to consider; 1) the nightstands are VERY long, and if your mattress is too thick, you lose side access to the space due to the fixed height of the space between the top of nightstand and the bottom of the cabinet. 2) If you have a shelf above the bed between the cabinets, the taller mattress could make you bang your head on the shelf as you lay down or sit up. 3) because of the curve of the front wall, the thicker the mattress, the more it forces the mattress towards the foot of the bed and potentially up against the sliding doors making them difficult to open or close.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Our camper came with an RV queen and we tossed it and replaced it with a 14" thick inner spring mattress with pillow top just like the king version in our house. Nightstands are still there. We don't have closets on the sides but do have an overhead compartment and it took awhile to learn not to sit up quickly when I woke up. The compartment is a tad close. I would tear the compartment out if I had any ambition as it is pretty useless for storage since you have to climb over the bed to get anything in it. We chose the same mattress as in our home to make camping more comfy.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
LHaven

Quote:

Thanks
Make your salesman work for his money. Ask him to go out to the lot and measure between the bed platform and the underside of the nightstand's top surface. I ordered that thickness, and having the mattress pretty much level with the nightstand has had no downside I have found.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
InkedMarie

I don’t know if you need a mattress recommendation but we bought ours from MattressInsider.com and very glad we did.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The mattress in our new Avalanche 313RS was supposed to be 8" but in truth barely scared 6" ... we replaced it with an 11" from Denver mattress.

We're headed out Friday and will gladly report on how comfortable it is.
Best money I've spent this year..
Old 12-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

OK, I buy all my mattresses in Billy Bob's Mattress Store in San Anotnio. Here is there radio commercial!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK, I buy all my mattresses in Billy Bob's Mattress Store in San Anotnio. Here is there radio commercial!

You go George!! After listening to that I don't see how you can pass it up!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #14
ewbldavis

We never had an issue with night stands in either our TT our 5er with the thicker, better mattress. Ours is like 11" or so.

In our TT - we "gained" 2" of length because of a gap at top of mattress due to wall slope. The only other "issue" would be bed is heavier - struts lifted it, but definitely noticeably heavier.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #15
Cascadia

Our 2020 Outback 328rl came with a king size mattress but we took delivery without it and put our queen mattress in it. This year we decided to replace our 10 year old mattress, it was starting to not be as comfy as it always had been. We bought an organic latex mattress from Plushbeds with a 25 year warranty. We live in our trailer so a bed has to be right. We bought the 9 inch mattress, it's like sleeping on a cloud! They sell RV mattresses but we bought a standard queen and added support on the additional length at the end of the bed. They were on sale but still a bit spendy and so worth it! We'll trim down the sides of the platform in the Spring...our "nightstands" are more like windowsills so no problem there! It is quite the stormy day here on the coast...buckets of rain!
Old 12-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #16
SICARIO

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. We were going to go with the 8” similar to what we bought our kids but it wouldn’t be here in time for our post Christmas trip. We’re going to try out the 6” version and see if it works. It’s flush with our nightstands which is nice. If we don’t like it we’ll probably bump up to the 8”.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #17
RoadToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
3” gel infused memory foam topper. .
Bulldog ..Can you post a Link to this? Ready to try it. lol
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #18
rlperry

We purchased a Zinus memory foam 8" from Amazon and wife and I couldn't be happier with the comfort.
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
rlperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #19
Coyote1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlperry View Post
We purchased a Zinus memory foam 8" from Amazon and wife and I couldn't be happier with the comfort.
We just purchased the Zinus 8” queen RV short memory foam from amazon and I absolutely love it! Slept on it three times so far on over nighter trips. Can’t believe I slept on that ****ty coil spring mattress for 5 years. Price always fluctuates on amazon but I was lucky and got in under $200 Canadian.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #20
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Bulldog ..Can you post a Link to this? Ready to try it. lol
Linenspa 3 Inch Convoluted Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper - Promotes Airflow - Relieves Pressure Points - Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M214HB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_tA93FbAYBR5X8
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress