Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yep! Lowe's/HD both advertise this but by not selling the same brands as the other they've found a way around it, but still advertised.
And, in many situations, where they do sell the same brand, they sell different models. Example: HD sells a Samsung washer, only in stainless steel. Lowes sells the "identical washer" but only in white. No need to try to price match, they aren't the same item.... We got "caught up in that with a recent "home emergency generator purchase".. Same generator, same transfer switch, one "package included a 10 year warranty" and the other included a 10 year warranty plug a 3 year service contract. Price difference between stores was nearly $1000. I'd ask, does 3 annual oil changes cost $1000? Different packages, no price match.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #22
Bill-2020

Ok, I've read all of the responses and I respect all of you and your responses and positions. My apologies to the OP, KDan6058, for this all going in a direction they didn't expect. I didn't intend nor expect this.

1. The internet sales manager verbally quoted me a price and a delivery time frame when I met with him to walk the floor plan of a 2019 they had on the lot. (2019 and late 2020 model years have the same floor plan other than the rear cargo door.)

2. A week later I had finished my research and decided to move forward. I was paired up with a sales lady at CW to go over the finer details of the deal before the deposit was made. The negotiations were less then enjoyable. The "internet sales manager" had apparently quoted me an incorrect price. They claimed he had no right to quote me a price on a unit they didn't have on the lot and he was not in that day to discuss it (of course). I took took some time and cooled my heels to think over this new selling price.

3. I made the deposit the following Monday and I was given a receipt that showed my name, date, the deposit amount, make, model, year, and interior color selection (which boils down to one window shade covering fabric pattern). There was no signature or selling price on the deposit receipt. It was simply a printed page with those details.

4. While I waited for delivery, scouring the internet for more details on Keystone trailers (watching all those factory tour videos), I came across the lower selling price of an identical unit at the other CW (yes, Danny/TT identical to what I ordered). It was advertised as an Orange Tag Sale because it was October. Having been previously quoted a lower price by $1200, I printed off the details from their website and brought them with me to the table. Yes, as ammunition for negotiating a lower price.

5. The table. Before signing anything, I presented the sales lady and the finance manager my findings. They both had to get the GM involved because this was something they couldn't approve. This GM was just sent down from corporate to take over the dealership and the other GMs position because of internal issues they were experiencing there. I wasn't supposed to know this, but my sales lady told me outside
she was quitting that day because of the issues there. Anyway, he wouldn't budge on the price, apologized for the internet sales manager's actions, and asked if I had any other concerns. Finance contract signed.

Danny/TT; I'm not the OP here, but I do understand that there is no one here from Keystone or CW that reads these. I'm not voicing all of this to change anyone's mind at this point. Cussing the dealer? Yeah, I guess I am after what I was quoted by a "sales manager" and then they backed out on that quote when came down to brass tax. I should have had him write that number down on the back of his card the day we stood there, agreed and shook hands! I knew what I wanted/needed out of a travel trailer and this model fit that need almost perfectly, both size, shape and options (this is not just a camping or vacation item for us, there are other important reasons at hand for us).
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Ok, I've read all of the responses and I respect all of you and your responses and positions. My apologies to the OP, KDan6058, for this all going in a direction they didn't expect. I didn't intend nor expect this.

1. The internet sales manager verbally quoted me a price and a delivery time frame when I met with him to walk the floor plan of a 2019 they had on the lot. (2019 and late 2020 model years have the same floor plan other than the rear cargo door.)

2. A week later I had finished my research and decided to move forward. I was paired up with a sales lady at CW to go over the finer details of the deal before the deposit was made. The negotiations were less then enjoyable. The "internet sales manager" had apparently quoted me an incorrect price. They claimed he had no right to quote me a price on a unit they didn't have on the lot and he was not in that day to discuss it (of course). I took took some time and cooled my heels to think over this new selling price.

3. I made the deposit the following Monday and I was given a receipt that showed my name, date, the deposit amount, make, model, year, and interior color selection (which boils down to one window shade covering fabric pattern). There was no signature or selling price on the deposit receipt. It was simply a printed page with those details.

4. While I waited for delivery, scouring the internet for more details on Keystone trailers (watching all those factory tour videos), I came across the lower selling price of an identical unit at the other CW (yes, Danny/TT identical to what I ordered). It was advertised as an Orange Tag Sale because it was October. Having been previously quoted a lower price by $1200, I printed off the details from their website and brought them with me to the table. Yes, as ammunition for negotiating a lower price.

5. The table. Before signing anything, I presented the sales lady and the finance manager my findings. They both had to get the GM involved because this was something they couldn't approve. This GM was just sent down from corporate to take over the dealership and the other GMs position because of internal issues they were experiencing there. I wasn't supposed to know this, but my sales lady told me outside
she was quitting that day because of the issues there. Anyway, he wouldn't budge on the price, apologized for the internet sales manager's actions, and asked if I had any other concerns. Finance contract signed.

Danny/TT; I'm not the OP here, but I do understand that there is no one here from Keystone or CW that reads these. I'm not voicing all of this to change anyone's mind at this point. Cussing the dealer? Yeah, I guess I am after what I was quoted by a "sales manager" and then they backed out on that quote when came down to brass tax. I should have had him write that number down on the back of his card the day we stood there, agreed and shook hands! I knew what I wanted/needed out of a travel trailer and this model fit that need almost perfectly, both size, shape and options (this is not just a camping or vacation item for us, there are other important reasons at hand for us).

Bill, I read your posts. The one you made on this trailer purchase seemed out of character. Your response here shows my assessment of you as a concerned, helpful member (as silly as that may seem) was right. So;

I have dealt with the exact same situation you had. Dealership bought out by CW; new GM (prior owner); unfamiliar staff all flailing trying to figure "it" out. You....caught in the middle.

First and foremost; I make all kinds of deals on all kinds of things. Many are done with a handshake....but I don't do or commit to anything, ANYTHING, until it is on paper. I wish the world was like it was a few years back but it's not.

Where was the sales manager in this? The "sales lady" doesn't fit in any RV purchase I make except to walk me thru the units. That sales lady was probably hired from Burger King a month ago and had no idea what was going on. The internet sales guy? I'm sorry but just don't let them drive the deal. Bought my new truck from what started with the internet sales dept.; he tried to drive the numbers and I told him he wouldn't be able to close the deal. I ended up with the GM and we hashed it out.

By your account it sounds as if you did agree, and signed an agreement, to purchase the trailer after you brought the Orange Sale price to them? If so, it stops there; you agreed.

I've made deposits, purchased adds on a new trailer and even signed purchase agreements for an RV with no more than what you received. That's what they do....and, it gives you what you need in the event of enforcement.

Finance contract signed.

After your irritations and aggravations the above statement is what you said. You agreed and accepted everything that had been said and done previously; that's what that says.

Not happy with the dealership or sales folks? Walk out. Don't like the price or terms? Walk out. Work through all the "stuff", accept it and go with a deal including sign it....then run down the dealership for the "deal" you willingly accepted? That's not "good form" IMO.

What I do, and you should have done, is make sure you negotiate your deal with the folks that know the "bottom line"; the internet sales guy and sales lady aren't them. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #24
Bill-2020

The sales lady knew RVs - she had been in the "business" for some years, when she quit that day after I left the dealership she was headed to Giant Recreation World the next day to start her new position.

The sales manager was never available to me over the many times I was there to discuss to look. It was either a conference call he was on behind that glass wall, or a meeting somewhere in the dealership (as small as it is).

Internet sales guy? Words I have for him would get me kicked off this forum if I typed them. Had he not stated a bad price in the beginning, I wouldn't have the poor feelings over this deal that I do.

I had already made the deposit to have the trailer ordered and transported to the dealership. It's my understanding that the deposit was not refundable. I was locked into this deal by that deposit or, as I had stated before, I would have walked.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I feel for you but don't think all the blame lies with CW.

Sales manager not available and behind the glass wall? Hah. Tell your sales person you'll just go to the GMs office to get his assistance.

I've had CW sales managers run out and seek me, some hide behind the "glass wall". If I'm serious, and they "aren't available" behind the glass wall....I just go behind the glass wall and stare at them until they're available.....and then we get to go see the GM.

In full disclosure I am have zero problems with upsetting folks or making them do their jobs. Many folks don't like that; my dad, in laws and many folks I've met in life. If you just accept what someone "wants" to give you it's not always a good thing. Hoping your experience has opened some windows for the next go round with anyone "selling" you something. They have a vested interest in protecting their interests; you have a vested interest in protecting yours.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #26
Jwsnags

Back to your original question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKan6058 View Post
Hello to all,

Looking to purchase a new trailer. Was looking at the Hideout, Sprinter or the Outback. Looking for some input pro's and con's of these models or the Keystone product in general.

Thanks

Dave
Hi Dave, FYI, I purchased a 2020 Hideout 177LHS this winter, it is an entry level/ price point trailer. I have had it out several times and am extremely happy with it, zero issues. I did do some upgrades for my personal taste...
My brother has the Springdale (just three feet longer) same layout, but definitely more deluxe version... for an additional $4000.00 that he purchased two years ago. Both of us have been happy with our purchases.
Take care!
Jon
Jwsnags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #27
ObiRich

Quote:
Hello to all,

Looking to purchase a new trailer. Was looking at the Hideout, Sprinter or the Outback. Looking for some input pro's and con's of these models or the Keystone product in general.

Thanks

Dave
I can't speak for the other brands, but we bought a Hideout 5th wheel (262RES) last year. As others have mentioned, Hideouts are an entry level unit. When we were looking, we first saw a Cougar 25RES, which has a very similar floor plan. The Cougar had all the "bells and whistles", i.e. In Command, Auto Level, and the consolidated hookup console in the pass through. The Hideout didn't; everything ran off switches inside.

After a lot of thought, we decided on the Hideout for a couple reasons. First, it was $14,000 less than the Cougar. Second, after reading some of the horror stories of how people have problems with all the high tech bells and whistles, we decided that "simpler was better."

We've had very few problems. The decals on the front frayed on the edges, and the door panel on the outdoor kitchen bowed. Camping World and Keystone took care of them. Some other small issues; a trim came loose after driving a bumpy road, as did the TV antenna connections. But so far, no major problems ::knock on wood::

So...I suppose it's what you're interested in. For us, the Hideout has worked out great. We've had it for almost a year now, have had her out 5 times, longest for 6 days, and thoroughly enjoy it.
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:20 AM   #28
RDB

Quote:
Hello to all,

Thanks

Dave
I own a 2012 Outback 301B, purchased new.. It is a mid-price trailer. Do not expect Keystone to support you after your 12 month warranty. Look for a painted cap and at least a 15K AC. If your trailer will be > 33ft look for 2 AC's. Unless you have a major issue with a component plan on doing your own repairs and maintenance. I ordered/purchased the trailer from Holman RV by Cincinnati Ohio, about a 2 hr drive from where we live. My wife an I were able to live in the trailer for about 24 hrs on their lot before we took it home. This gave use the time to test/use everything, any issues where fixed before we took it home.....check & recheck everything before you leave the dealer.
RDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #29
lcarver02

They are good trailers. Make sure everything works and verify water heater, stove, fridge. Never park this trailer on a slope with the Refrigerator on, it will ruin it for sure. Avoid the front Gel Coat as it will fade and crack very quickly. Get the Carbon Fiber front. Check the tires, if they are cheap or worn replace them with quality rubber, not the cheap ones they come with.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #30
dutchmensport

My last camper was an Outback with rear living and 2 opposing slide-outs in the living room, large full rear window. Absolutely loved that model and floor plan. We had it 5 years. Never touched the battery in 5 years. Replaced original tires once, installed covers over the roof vents, and replaced the 13,500 btu air conditioner for a 15,000 air conditioner. She was ridden hard, lots of miles, and never had any problems with her. After 5 years, we traded for a Montana High Country fifth wheel, in anticipation of full-timing. (Plus it was even bigger).

I recommend the Outback. (but, I'm biased, of course).

Tags
keystone