Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
kenn209

Fire Escape Plan

What's yours? I know in our camper the likely spot for a fire will block any escape thru the main door, so its out the bedroom window. Seems like a long drop, Does anyone carry those roll up ladders?

something like this?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2

Also have you purchased anything other than the fire extinguisher that came with the rig? just wondering....
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I know I have mentioned this before but.... I still can not see my corpulent body fitting through that window and falling head first eight feet to the ground. They are going to need the jaws of life to pull me through that window. .... Yes I carry two ten lb. CO2s .. one in the trailer and one in the TV. This was another consideration for a RK model ... all sources of ignition are on the opposite side of the door from the bedroom. (other than electrical) If you really think about it .... even if you are in great shape and small in stature you will have a very difficult time using that "EXIT". It might be easier with a wardrobe in front of it to kneel on but I don't consider it an option without help from the outside. JM2¢, Hank ..... And I do take the possibility of fire seriously .. just being realistic.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Like Hank I carry multiple fire extinguishers, one in the truck and two in the trailer. Our floorplan forces you to go past the stove, furnace and hot water heater, around a counter to get to the door. Ironically, Keystone placed the fire extinguisher on the aft side of the door, making it nearly impossible to get to the fire extinguisher unless you're outside when the fire starts.

I mounted that one on the front of the bathroom wall in the bedroom and put another on the side of the refrigerator compartment next to the stove.

I am 6'2" and weigh about 190, and looking at that little window, 8' up in the air, I'd be very hard pressed to kick it out, dive out of it and then try to talk my DW into following my trail. Maybe, just maybe if something happened, we could wrap up in the bedcovers and rush the back door. I really think it's the only way out for most of us.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

A few days ago, 2 small children and 2 dogs lost their lives in a fire that broke out in a large, Class A motorhome not far from where we live in BC. The fire broke out sometime during the night near the front of the RV near the driver's and passenger side of the coach. The grandparents, who were in the RV at the time, could not get out the main entry door and were forced to use one of the rear exit windows as the only means of escape. The grandfather did eventually make his way through the fire and smoke, out the entry door and went round the back of the RV to grab the kids as the grandmother took them to the rear exit window area. She eventually passed the two young children out through the window but because of smoke inhalation, the children died and the grandmother was badly burned and is in critical condition in the hospital.
The fire is still under investigation.
This tragedy does bring home kenn209's point about having a fire escape plan as well as Hankpage's having proper fire extinguishers located in your RV so that they are easily accessible. I am left to wonder though, does each member of our family know where they are located and how to use them? Are the extinguishers working properly and fully charged? Do we know where these escape windows are? Are they working properly? Are we really as well-prepared as we can be?
For those of us who are "seniors" and perhaps not in the best of condition or overweight (or both) could we even get out of those escape windows?
I guess too many of us convince ourselves that it won't happen to us. Last Wednesday, it did happen and 2 young lives were lost and their grandmother is fighting for her life in the burn unit.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
kenn209

Yeah I didn't think I could fit through the window either. I think I will put a bigger fire extinguisher in the bedroom the help fight our way out. Festus that is a terrible tragedy, really sad.

On edit: How big of an extinguisher would we need, 20lbs? And one that would cover Class A, B and C fires,
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

a lot of people forget to check those fire squirters on a yearly basis. they will loose charge over time. we have two yearly trainings at work usually in spring and right before winter. we drive pickup's around, but are required to carry fire protection with us at all times. we are even invited to bring in our family's to go thru the course. and they will inspect our squirters from home too.

i never really thought about an escape plan, and in our trailer the kids are seperated by the whole trailer from us, and are way to little to even begin to know what to do. i only have the dinky little one that is with the trailer, i guess i will be looking into a few more larger one's. one thing to look for when purchasing one, is to get one that is rated for everything, i think it's and ABC rating. these are safe for most all fires you would run into.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
cumminsdad08

i think that you would be better off with a few 10 lb'ers. we carry 5's in our trucks, for the truck, but we also have 10's for hot work on site. and i can tell you those extra 5 lb's will make a world of difference. ask me how i know, sometime when you are bored and wanna see murphy's laws in action.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
2011 keystone

This is something I never really thought about untill now. Our last camping trip of the year is this weekend and guess what. The wife 2 kids and I will be having a camping fire DRILL.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
kenn209

We are headed out this weekend as well, gonna have to take a look at our plan.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Just for "grits and grins" How many have thought about the escape plan and fire extinguishers at home? We spend far more time there (well most of us do) than in our RV...... Might not be a bad idea to get up and go check the pressure gauge on the one hanging in the kitchen right now and look around to see where another one might be better stored....... I just checked ours and the pressure guage is at the very bottom of the green. I last checked it about 6 months ago and it was right in the middle I think..... Hmmmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Rowdy51

Also, does everyone know how to use the Fire Ext. Remember this simple saying "PASS".

P = Pull the pin.
A= Aim at the base of the fire.
S= Squeeze the trigger.
S= Sweep across the base of the fire.

Properly used, a 10lb ABC can put out a good fire. Also, never turn your back on a fire that you think is out.., back away facing the area with the fire ext. In the ready position.
08 White Diamond Avalanche LTZ
11 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ, Duramax
Rowdy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
Rowdy51

Another note, if you are replacing or recharching your units, take the old unit and activate it if you have never used a fire ext. I would rather have my hands on training before I need to use it for real.
08 White Diamond Avalanche LTZ
11 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ, Duramax
Rowdy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #13
dave-g

Smoke and co detectors are a must. Make sure you have battery powered ones. Forget the fire extinguishing. Get you family out!!!!!! If you have ever look at the way these rv's are wired it amazing there are not more fires.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #14
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn209 View Post
We are headed out this weekend as well, gonna have to take a look at our plan.
WOW! Me too. Scary, isn't it?
I just put my unit away for the winter, but in the spring, I WILL be better prepared.

Thanks everyone for this post and opening MY eyes!!
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
fjr1300

Here’s another reason to check your fire extinguishers. I receive yearly fire extinguisher training at work. The guys that have done our training are from a local fire protection company that services much of California and they have included a discussion on the construction of fire extinguishers. One problem they have seen with the extinguishers that have a plastic nozzle and valve head is breakage of the plastic down tube from the head to the bottom of the bottle. When subject to vibration over a period of time, such as when riding around in an RV, the plastic down tube will break off rendering the extinguisher useless. They recommended removing any extinguisher in an RV that has a plastic nozzle and valve head and replacing it with an extinguisher that has a metal nozzle and valve head. They say the extinguishers with a plastic nozzle and valve body are fine for use at home where they will not be subject to vibration.