Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Fishsizzle

Mouse Gripe

Just an early morning gripe about returning to our trailer to find a mouse joining our dogs for dinner. A relaxing day turned into strip down all cabinets and drawers, take everything home to be washed etc.

Trapped one, looks like that’s all there is......

Appears little dude climbed up my new zero hose and the water station door shares space with the basement and there isn’t a tight seal between the two so he slipped right in.

Cleaning the basement is next. Anyone make a “plug” for their hole your hose goes into under the trailer?
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
edward willis

don't let that mouse get up inside the walls.( If he hasn't already). They love to eat the wires which cause all kinds of electrical damage. It isn't cheap to get repaired. Been there done that. Get a can of that spray expanding foam and plug every hole you can find, to include under the sinks.
edward willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
AbHDToyHauler

Well I have killed 8. By the time we realized they were in there it was a family. Bought one of the new Electronic traps. Holds 10 mice. Think i got them all. finally. Been a week no more signs of them. Re checked all over trailer found a few "spots" i think they came in. Sealed them with foam. Thought I had them all sealed. Have to say the electronic trap worked as advertised. Catches the small ones that the bigger trap couldn't. Can be frustrating. I think perhaps my small bbq attracted them as we had no food stored in RV. Have since bought a sealed tub to keep bbq in. Hope that's it as wife wants to sell trailer now. LOL
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
bobbecky

We've had at least one in our rig lately, in the kitchen and even found evidence under the bed where linens are stored. I sealed all the entry holes going into the kitchen L shaped island, including between the under sink area to the drawer area to the end of the island and a small access hole near the end of the island underneath. I also closed off a small area at the steps going up to the bedroom/bath area and am going to put 1/4" hardware screen behind the wood vents in the steps so the critters can't get through there. Mice are frustrating, but don't know how to seal everything up underneath as there are so many places for entry that can't be sealed. I use a large piece of foam that I cut into a round cylinder and then sliced a vertical slit into it that I put around the water hose coming into the convenience center, and that seems to work well there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water hose seal.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	23448  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We've had at least one in our rig lately, in the kitchen and even found evidence under the bed where linens are stored. I sealed all the entry holes going into the kitchen L shaped island, including between the under sink area to the drawer area to the end of the island and a small access hole near the end of the island underneath. I also closed off a small area at the steps going up to the bedroom/bath area and am going to put 1/4" hardware screen behind the wood vents in the steps so the critters can't get through there. Mice are frustrating, but don't know how to seal everything up underneath as there are so many places for entry that can't be sealed. I use a large piece of foam that I cut into a round cylinder and then sliced a vertical slit into it that I put around the water hose coming into the convenience center, and that seems to work well there.

Thanks!

I was thinking along the same lines with foam.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHDToyHauler View Post
Well I have killed 8. By the time we realized they were in there it was a family. Bought one of the new Electronic traps. Holds 10 mice. Think i got them all. finally. Been a week no more signs of them. Re checked all over trailer found a few "spots" i think they came in. Sealed them with foam. Thought I had them all sealed. Have to say the electronic trap worked as advertised. Catches the small ones that the bigger trap couldn't. Can be frustrating. I think perhaps my small bbq attracted them as we had no food stored in RV. Have since bought a sealed tub to keep bbq in. Hope that's it as wife wants to sell trailer now. LOL

Hahahahaaha, mine said same thing.... sell it! I’ve had it a year baby, keep bleaching, love ya
Old 08-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
notanlines

When y'all chose a mate did you realize that one mouse constitutes empty the entire rig to be sterilized and then sell the rig? Any reason you didn't either head to the divorce attorney or just RV at the Hilton instead? I can only imagine the life your poor dog leads....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
When y'all chose a mate did you realize that one mouse constitutes empty the entire rig to be sterilized and then sell the rig? Any reason you didn't either head to the divorce attorney or just RV at the Hilton instead? I can only imagine the life your poor dog leads....
This go round is MUCH better than past visits from Mickey and Minnie.

Wife always said “ I can visit their house, they can never visit mine”

Don’t get the dog reference? Lost me there
Old 08-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #9
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I believe someone on here also once used a toilet plunger to plug the hole. Took the handle off, cut a small hole where the handle screws into the rubber part to feed the water hose through, and stuffed the larger end in that hole into the convenience center. Thought it seemed like a good plug too.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Another alternative item to use to seal the bottom opening of the convenience center is a rubber plunger. Unscrew the wooden handle, use a pocket knife to cut the bottom out of the handle hole, run your water hose up through the convenience center bottom opening, thread the hose through the hole in the plunger (that you made with your pocket knife), set the inverted plunger over the hole and "push gently to force it to "bind in the hole".... I know several people with convenience centers (I don't have one) and we've made "plunger plugs" for all of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PLUNGER.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	23450  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:09 AM   #11
notanlines

Justin, it was a very poor attempt at some additional humor; hinting that the dog would have to be sparkling clean...
I'll do better in the future.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
AbHDToyHauler

Another note on the plunger. Use a "NEW" plunger or wife will be on you again as you pass the clean water hose through a plunger. HAHAHAH My attempt at humour today. !
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #13
Bamabox

Obviously you want to keep them OUT to begin with, that can be a real battle. But once they are in, I had and continue to use with success a super high frequency video on youtube on the smart TV I installed in place of the dumb one. Just go to youtube and search for “sounds mice hate”. Turn up the volume to max and leave. Don’t know if those super high frequencies are good for humans, and pretty sure your dog won’t care for it. I had a mouse in my ceiling this spring. Put glue boards with PB in the center outside one the ground. Turned on the vid and went in the house. Walked by the trailer an hour later, and there he was. Never even got to taste the PB. Now I run the video every 3-4 days as maintenance.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
travelin texans

I bought a Sonic pest deterent that plugs in, put it in the 5er basement & never had a mouse, spiders, ants, squirrels went around not under & even birds would land & immediately fly away, was well worth the $10. Of course you have to be connected to shore power for it to work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #15
BB1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Just an early morning gripe about returning to our trailer to find a mouse joining our dogs for dinner. A relaxing day turned into strip down all cabinets and drawers, take everything home to be washed etc.

Trapped one, looks like that’s all there is......

Appears little dude climbed up my new zero hose and the water station door shares space with the basement and there isn’t a tight seal between the two so he slipped right in.

Cleaning the basement is next. Anyone make a “plug” for their hole your hose goes into under the trailer?
Mice also do not like steel wool so I will use it to stuff holes where they might try to get in.
BB1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #16
Sinton4616

I used "Mouse Shield" spray foam around the FW when I bought it. Still have a couple of spots to do. We lined the FW with cedar and for the battery box hole in the front storage, I used a copper scrub pad. For the water hose/cable, I use a plunger with a 3/4 hole drilled in it. Fits nicely over the opening.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:20 PM   #17
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Justin, it was a very poor attempt at some additional humor; hinting that the dog would have to be sparkling clean...
I'll do better in the future.
Ahhhh no worries! Our dogs flat stink right now from swimming in ponds.

Headed back up to trailer tomorrow and have a plunger in hand to make a seal and see if anymore are snapped
Old 08-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #18
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I bought a Sonic pest deterent that plugs in, put it in the 5er basement & never had a mouse, spiders, ants, squirrels went around not under & even birds would land & immediately fly away, was well worth the $10. Of course you have to be connected to shore power for it to work.
Just bought some of these off amazon, HW folks swear by them so that means I had to buy them of course
Old 09-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #19
terrypen

Mouse eradication

We had one get into the interior of our trailer through the hoses for the kitchen sink. After searching online, I found that they do not like peppermint or cottonballs. I coated some cottonballs with peppermint and spread them out around the locations that I could see his damage. I continued to increase the peppermint, constricting the area towards the "entrance" and once I knew that little bugger was no longer inside the living area, I dropped all those peppermint 'bombs' down the entrance hole. I then filled the entrance with steel wool and expanding foam.
I continued to move those peppermint balls towards where I thought they entered the bottom covering. I haven't had any returning meece.

Good luck,
terrypen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #20
markowil

Mice

Yes, foam up all the entry points as a start. Get under your trailer and get dirty. Look for any possible entry point. We also place steel wool in places like the landing struts. Inside the trailer, when we Winterize, we take off the floor registers, fill the duct openings with steel wool, place tinfoil over the top and then screw down the registers. We also place solar powered rodent repellers outside the perimeter for the winter. So far, so good
markowil is offline   Reply With Quote