Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Bporourke2

HVAC set point window on In Command

Hello,

Has anyone had issues with it getting 7-8 degrees hotter than your set point with your AC's and the In Command system?

Also, I sometimes have to kick my ac on by switching it to fan mode and then back to cool. is this normal?

Thanks!
Bporourke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No, it's not "normal" to need to switch between fan and cool to "kick start" the air conditioner....

As for the 5-8 degree swing, you may have a "setting issue" in the thermostat sensing unit, or more likely, you may have an issue with sun shining on the thermostat or the wall close to it or a A/C duct ductor furnace blowing cool/hot air on the thermostat.

I've seen more than a few thermostats mounted in places where it's impossible to get a "true, accurate" temperature reading.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
WPWilson

I have the same problem with mine. It is at the dealer now. I am having them check it out. I'll let you know what I find out there.
WPWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
LHaven

Just last night, I used my phone to set the temp down a few degrees, and nothing happened until I changed the associated fan setting from "auto" to "low." It's not the first time I've seen this behavior, but it's always from the iPhone app, not the control panel. Were you using the phone app too?
Old 07-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
WPWilson

NO, I was just using the control panel.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
Bporourke2

Any updates?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
WPWilson

It's been at Camping World in Columbia, MO almost a week and they haven't even looked at it yet. I made an appointment and it has been just setting there. I have to pick it up Wednesday for a camping trip and it most likely will not have even been looked at.

Very, Very disappointed. in their service.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Bporourke2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWilson View Post
It's been at Camping World in Columbia, MO almost a week and they haven't even looked at it yet. I made an appointment and it has been just setting there. I have to pick it up Wednesday for a camping trip and it most likely will not have even been looked at.

Very, Very disappointed. in their service.
Thats terrible, though I am not surprised with camping world. I will be taking mine in at the end of the month to have it looked at as well. I will post once it gets figured out.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
no rearview

in command ac problem

Hello,
Brand new forum member, long time Keystone owner.
I am having similar HVAC issue with the IN COMMAND controller on my 2020 Alpine 3851rd. When first setting up I set the ac units to auto cool and both units operate to cool the rv, once set temps are reached it seems that the rear unit then maintains temps in both zones (shared ducting). If I reset the set points on either unit I have to first turn the unit off, reset the temp setting and then turn it back on.I have contacted ASA electronics, the IN COMMAND manufacturer and their response was that it was a Keystone or Dometic issue,they are only concerned with the controller and they obviously don't think its a controller issue. I then called Keystone and their first response was to tell me to contact ASA. Explaining that I had just finished talking to ASA and that they determined it was a Keystone issue the Keystone rep said that the situation I described was 'normal'. They also stated that it was normal for the electric awning to continue to turn past its stop limit. Um? sure......
So no answers so far but I'll continue on with Dometic and some contacts in the service side, and hopefully get some better answers. I will update if I can crack the wall of deniability.
no rearview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

no rearview,

What you're facing, deniability from multiple manufacturers of an integrated system, is going to only get worse. Imagine next year, when GM enters into the "in-command family" by integrating their truck electronics with the in-command system. It may "eventually work out to benefit the consumer" because I can't see GM, with all their clout, accepting a "hap-hazard system" with no shared responsibility for repairs and refinements. With the "lemon laws" applicable to motor vehicles, the GM end of a hap-hazard system could result in vehicles being returned for new ones if they can't resolve the issue within a certain number of attempts. That's going to make in-command failures a "hot bed item"...

Currently, what you're facing, is very similar to the "flat glass plate, touch sensitive control center that Lippert sold to Keystone in about 2015. Installed on the "full size Cougar fifth wheels" that "technology failure" left hundreds of Cougar owners with no way to operate their trailer systems. After only one year, Keystone dropped the technology and returned to mechanical switches which had been nearly foolproof for a number of years.

I'd suspect that unless "someone" (Keystone, ASA, GM or ????) accepts responsibility and expense to integrate all the parts built by several manufacturers so they will work together, the in-command system is going to be a repeat of the glass plate control system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
travelin texans

And yes if you continue to press the "extend" button on your awning it WILL rlll up backwards, then press retract to extend, to prevent pay attention to awning while pressing buttons
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
Bporourke2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
And yes if you continue to press the "extend" button on your awning it WILL rlll up backwards, then press retract to extend, to prevent pay attention to awning while pressing buttons
I can say I have not had that experience yet, I think its possible to change the set points on it
Old 08-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
Bporourke2

Quote:
Originally Posted by no rearview View Post
Hello,
Brand new forum member, long time Keystone owner.
I am having similar HVAC issue with the IN COMMAND controller on my 2020 Alpine 3851rd. When first setting up I set the ac units to auto cool and both units operate to cool the rv, once set temps are reached it seems that the rear unit then maintains temps in both zones (shared ducting). If I reset the set points on either unit I have to first turn the unit off, reset the temp setting and then turn it back on.I have contacted ASA electronics, the IN COMMAND manufacturer and their response was that it was a Keystone or Dometic issue,they are only concerned with the controller and they obviously don't think its a controller issue. I then called Keystone and their first response was to tell me to contact ASA. Explaining that I had just finished talking to ASA and that they determined it was a Keystone issue the Keystone rep said that the situation I described was 'normal'. They also stated that it was normal for the electric awning to continue to turn past its stop limit. Um? sure......
So no answers so far but I'll continue on with Dometic and some contacts in the service side, and hopefully get some better answers. I will update if I can crack the wall of deniability.
I did speak with a person in Keystone customer support and they told me that it is definitely not acting right and to have a service center look at it. So I at least got Keystone to admit something is wrong.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #14
Roscommon48

Keystone DOES not deal with the indivdual items, they typically refer you back to the manufacturer. This is typical so if you are have problems go to a dealer, that is what needs to be done.
It is either an ASA problem or an A/C unit, probably dometic.
good luck:
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You called ASA. You called Keystone. Might as well go for the trifecta and call Dometic. Cant hurt anything.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #16
no rearview

IN COMMAND ac issue continued.....
After being told by Keystone that my issues were "normal" I contacted Dometic about the ac and awning issue. Dometic confirmed to me that, contrary to what Keystone says my issues are not normal and the equipment is not operating correctly. They advised a dealer visit for the awning, possible installation error. They also gave me the tech line for ASA electronics, where the phone odyssey began. I get the same rep on the phone at ASA who tells me to take it to Keystone dealer with the suggestion that it may be a controller issue in the ac units. (I have seen reference to this problem in other threads)
I can't imagine the outcome of a warranty visit to a Keystone dealer after the company has stated that the issues are normal. Gonna try a reboot on IN Command then start shopping for stand alone thermostats. Updates if any changes.
no rearview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
WPWilson

UPDATE: Called yesterday and said that they had my camper in shop starting to work on it. Called this morning and said that the tech just told him he needed code for Incommand. WHAT? all day yesterday? oh! Hopefully they fixed the sewer problem first?

SIMPLY, UNBELIVEABLE!!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:14 AM   #18
DLE66

Just a suggestion but I was having a similar cooling problem and finally figured out that the breaker for one of the ac units had tripped. The controller apparently doesn’t recognize the fault and indicate that the unit is offline.
DLE66 is offline   Reply With Quote