Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
X-Jaywalker

Slide repair and adjustment

Click image for larger version

Name:	59DEB846-9D24-4ECF-B063-00F287B192D2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	22072

Name:	6E14BA18-0FAD-40B0-BA73-D2B3F474E0AF.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	22073

Name:	D2F3A9A7-4612-46E7-9231-CF33A52194A0.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	22074
So here is the living room slide damage. It’s not terrible, but not sure how to repair it. I have already adjusted the slide to increase the height, so this does not happen again. My concern is the black covering (for lack of a better term) has torn off exposing some of the wood paneling. Anyone with experience with this. I appreciate any info
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
mohead1

Look up darco fabric or skim tape....thats your repair stuff
mohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:27 AM   #3
Tbos

How did you adjust the height? Since the adjustment is on the outside of the slide how much did it take to raise the inside of the slide a tiny amount?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
How did you adjust the height? Since the adjustment is on the outside of the slide how much did it take to raise the inside of the slide a tiny amount?
I am not sure I did this correctly, because it still is tearing top the Darco material a bit. Not as bad...but it still does not seem right. I raised the up 1/2 inch. But someone else said that's not the problem. That it is an internal plastic slide piece or roller?? Not sure. If that's the case, I would think you would have to remove the slide to repair it correctly.

Someone else used a heavy duty plastic strip and stapled it to the damaged Darco area. That might be the cheapest and easiest way to go. Although I don't think I would use staples. Maybe a strong adhesive or epoxy.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Jaywalker View Post
I am not sure I did this correctly, because it still is tearing top the Darco material a bit. Not as bad...but it still does not seem right. I raised the up 1/2 inch. But someone else said that's not the problem. That it is an internal plastic slide piece or roller?? Not sure. If that's the case, I would think you would have to remove the slide to repair it correctly.

Someone else used a heavy duty plastic strip and stapled it to the damaged Darco area. That might be the cheapest and easiest way to go. Although I don't think I would use staples. Maybe a strong adhesive or epoxy.
If you think about it, if you glue the strip to the darco, then it's subject to being torn away as soon as it binds slightly and pulls on the darco fabric. You'll need to either use staples or screws (with countersunk heads) to secure the Teflon/nylon strips to the underside of the slide floor. Otherwise, on the first retraction, you're probably going to find the darco torn away from the undnerside of the slide floor.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
mohead1

With slide out, pull up the floor covering/rug at the transition. You will see the hard poly material used to raise and guide the slide when coming in. Maybe its out of whack or has an edge catching
mohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:10 AM   #7
philleonard73

My first 5th wheel was a Heartland Big Country. They did not use the material on the bottom and instead had a coating much like the door of a toy hauler. This would flake off after from time to time. If you called customer service, they would send you these plastic strips much like you discussed above. They we're adhesive and I didn't have a problem with them coming off. The trick was putting them far enough up the slide out, this ensured the slide out always rode on them.

Maybe a Google search will about the heartland issue will provide some answers.
philleonard73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohead1 View Post
With slide out, pull up the floor covering/rug at the transition. You will see the hard poly material used to raise and guide the slide when coming in. Maybe its out of whack or has an edge catching
Thank you mohead1....I checked it out and it appears to be OK. I saw the
Poly Guide. See photo. All looks OK, unless I am missing something.

I made on the end of the slide towards the rear of the rig. I adjusted about 5/8" down (you can see the scrap mark I made from its original position. Not sure if it helped or made it worse? Item

Tags
slide