Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #41
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by opienva1 View Post
So if an Andersen hitch requires safety chains due to it being a ball hitch. Doesn't all the other 5th wheel hitches that attach to the goose ball also require them? They are on a ball also.
No, they do NOT need chains as they are adaptations of a semi hookup
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 AM   #42
opienva1

But some of them are attached to the truck using the same ball as a goose neck trailer.
opienva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Every state has different rules/laws governing what requires safety chains and what is considered a fifth wheel hitch that doesn't require safety chains. What is "perfectly legal" in one state may get you a ticket as soon as you cross the state line and get stopped "next door".

In states that do require safety chains with "ball hitch configurations" some of those states don't require safety chains with the "ball hitch that supports a fifth wheel hitch".... Other states do..... Confusing? So much that even law enforcement has difficulty with interpretations of what does/what doesn't.....

I find the "armchair lawyers" (something I guess I'm also guilty of at times) who give opinions, usually base those opinions on "their local laws" which may be "night and day different" for someone reading the "advice" on the other side of the US.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #44
gearhead

I didn't go back and read all the posts, but I think it's open to interpretation if the Andersen type hitches require chains. I'm thinking (hoping) any law enforcement types have better things to do than write up paw paw and mee maw because they don't have safety chains on a hitch that isn't equipped for chains in the first place.
How long is the warranty on a Lippert frame? Gooseneck aside, if you had an issue it would be a total PITA getting them to anything.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:11 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
...How long is the warranty on a Lippert frame? Gooseneck aside, if you had an issue it would be a total PITA getting them to anything.
For units built after September 1, 2017, the warranty is 3 years. For units built prior to that, one year Keystone warranty with 2 years on the steel frame structure built by Lippert (Zieman Fabrication)...

There's a question in my mind about who covers the 3rd year on the frame, Keystone, Lippert or ????? Keystone says it's 3 years, Lippert says 2 years.....

I agree, with the "finger pointing" that owners have experienced in the past, getting anything done seems to be an exercise in frustration, regardless of who puts it all on paper. The repairs just don't seem to get taken seriously in real life....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #46
tech740

My take is that it depends how you look at your statement. If they attach and do not move on the goose neck ball them no. If they are like an Andersen and the trailer attachment is on a ball and socket yes. What I mean is if there was a design change to the Andersen and it connected to the trailer as a pin not a ball them probably not. The ball at the base is an attachment that when you torque the retaining pin eliminates the movement of the ball. That is how I have understood the logic behind this anyways. I am not sure how the pull rite does it without the chains.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #47
Don_T

I have switched from a B&W Companion to a gooseneck ball and a Reese Goosebox pin box. All I need to do is lift a handle on the B&W ball to remove it from the bed and I now have an air ride between the truck and trailer.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #48
John&Genny

We have the Andersen hitch and it seems to be doing great. Easy to hitch up the 5’er and no bucking going down the road. I have the safety chains and like others have mentioned, it only takes a few seconds to hook them up and could save you some heartache if the boys in blue decide to pull you over.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #49
5th_Wheelin

Another believer and actual user of the Andersen Ultimate Hitch here. Don't regret going this route one bit.
5th_Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #50
footz1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Waterman View Post
I have B&W standard rails and their Patriot 18k hitch, cut my Ram rubber bedliner for the rails and they don't stick up above it. The Anderson looks like the best if you want to install and remove a hitch a lot though, but one question: How do you remove the ball that sticks up into the bed after you remove the Anderson? Just a pin? Also the Anderson doesn't offer height adjustment.
Yes my Andersen has height adjustment. Ball rotates so you have a flat floor. No chucking very solid
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch