Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
BamaRam

Who has a stock Dodge 48RE transmission?

And what do you tow with it?

I have some trepidation about pulling with it since I have read on the diesel forums that the 04 models have weak hydraulic pressure to the TC clutch. From what I'm reading the risk can be mitigated by using TH unless on flat interstate and 2nd gear in the steep hills. I'll be towing a 31RBDS.

I've done all the preventative maintenance; changed fluid and filter, upgraded gov pressure sensor, adjusted the bands, set the throttle cable. i also added an Edge Insight CTS2 with EGT to monitor temps.

I'm trying to talk myself out of an billet torque convertor and valve body.

Any ideas?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

BamaRam, I own an '04.5 2500 in my sig. and have towed the Cougar in my sig. up and down the east coast for 13 years. When possible ... traffic or weather-wise .. I tow using cruise control and the trans rarely hunts for a lower gear on the interstates. The old girl just turned 100K and I would not hesitate to hitch up and take it any distance. I'm not sure but there may be some tweeks made between the 04.5 HO and the standard output 04 trans. Fluid, filter and band and pressure adjustments every 25k and I drive it like I stole it. (well ... when Lynn is not around.) As long as your weights are good, I don't see any reason to worry ..... I don't.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:21 AM   #3
BamaRam

Mine is also a 4.5 (i just neglected to say so) and has 102K. I bought it in 08 with the intent of getting a 5er. Talked myself out of the 5er because of the short box. The truck has never been worked and up to a few weeks ago the transmission had always shuttle shifted and I couldnt tell what gear it was in when accelerating from a stop.

So I changed the gov pressure sensor and solenoid, 3-4 accumulator spring, adjusted bands and TV. This made a world of difference in the shift patterns but after I installed the CTS2 I found the front cooler wasn't working so I deleted the thermostat.

I pick up my trailer today so the rubber is about to meet the road.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:59 AM   #4
BamaRam

And I'm considering a Smarty but I'm going to see how it does without it. A couple of transmission mechanics have already told me that automatic Dodges with tuners keep them in business.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

David, This is just my opinion, but I think that you will be pleased with the way your truck will tow your trailer. Give it a little time for the computer to "learn" your driving habits and you may be surprised at how much this beast likes to work hard. Enjoy your new combo and travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
BamaRam

The two hour trip from the dealer went okay. Pulled a good size mountain in TH with no increase in tranny temp. The EGTs got up to 1250 and boost hit 30. Not sure why but sometimes when I turned TH off I had to feather the pedal to make it shift to OD. Maybe I should have changed the OD/TCC solenoid while I was in there.