Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
rtaylor0830

Help with tires

I am buying a new toyhauler that has trailer king tires on it. I told the dealer I do not like the trailer king brand and after negotiating he agreed to put goodyear marathons on for $150 more total. I know that most of you will say don't put either one on but if you had to pick would you pay more to have the goodyears.

Also is it not strange that my last camper which had a gross weight of $12000lbs had the same size tires and ply as this camper with a weight of 17000lbs
rtaylor0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor0830 View Post
Also is it not strange that my last camper which had a gross weight of $12000lbs had the same size tires and ply as this camper with a weight of 17000lbs
Its simple. Manufacturers care more about profit margins and less about safety margins.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
66joej

Have you considered the new Goodyear Endurance tires. Made in USA not China (Goodyear Marathons). JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
kksfish

Called my local tire dealer (Little Tire Co) to see if he had the new Goodyear Endurance tires in 225. 75 R 15.....he told me he could have them in the store in two days! Quoted me $709.00. Load Range "E" Mounted balanced on the trailer so I will be getting them in a couple of weeks before my first trip in April
kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
66joej

Sounds good. Very interested in what you think of them as I will need tires this year and these are the ones I will order. Keep us posted. Thanks.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 02-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor0830 View Post
I am buying a new toyhauler that has trailer king tires on it. I told the dealer I do not like the trailer king brand and after negotiating he agreed to put goodyear marathons on for $150 more total. I know that most of you will say don't put either one on but if you had to pick would you pay more to have the goodyears.

Your dealer is making the same mistake Keystone has done over & over again with RV trailers having 7000# axles. The Trailer King tires provide 3520# of load capacity at 80 PSI. The Goodyear Marathons only provide 3420# of load capacity at 80 PSI. NOT qualified for 7000# axles. You really need to ask Keystone and your dealer about this because it's a very unsafe condition and in violation of the trailer builders federal guidelines.

Take a little time and read the regulation (FMVSS 571.120). Here is an excerpt from paragraph S5.3.1. Tires. The size designation (not necessarily for the tires on the vehicle) and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load ratings of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR. In the "not necessarily for the tires on the vehicle" statement they are referring to brands.

Elsewhere in the document it is specifically written that the tires must have the capability to support the load capacity of the GAWR.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
dcg9381

I'd pay $150 more for goodyears. As indicated above, per "book" they're less effective, but I'd bet on them being better than Trailer King all day long...

The real upgrade here would be going to 110+ psi wheels and associated tires that have loads beyond 3500 lbs.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
CWtheMan

This is why the dealer's hands are tied.....S10.3 The tires on each motor home and RV trailer at first retail sale must be the same size as the tire size on the labeling.

Even though tire brands differ in max load capacity the dealer has to comply with this part......The maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall be not less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567.

There is also another catch "22" for the OP. The standard rim for ST235/80R16E tires on Keystone RV trailers - without any offered options - is rated at 3580# @ 80 PSI.

Even if Keystone did put upgraded rims they probably put on 16x6" rims rated at 3750# @ 110 psi. All 16" steel ceased tires require a single rim width of 6.5".

It surely is a buyer beware market and hardly anyone looks at their tires to check- out the specs.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
gearhead

If I was doing some tire trading it wouldn't be for GY Marathons. Maybe the new Endurance. But most likely Carlisle or Maxxis.
But before all that, I would get my head around what CWtheman is saying. I think it would stay on the dealers lot until decent wheels and higher rated tires (G?) were on it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
66joej

I see a lot of RVers prefer the Carlisle (made in China) and Maxxis (made in Thailand) tires. Is it because they used to be made in the USA or are they that much better than the so called Chinese bombs? Just asking.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 02-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I see a lot of RVers prefer the Carlisle (made in China) and Maxxis (made in Thailand) tires. Is it because they used to be made in the USA or are they that much better than the so called Chinese bombs? Just asking.
I think Carlisle has improved quality dramatically in recent years. Still made in China though. Not only this forum but other rv enthusiast sites are partial to the newer generation of Radial Trail HDs.

With Maxxis's, your're right in terms of made in Thailand. The M8008's have had a great reputation for years now. The reviews are overwelmingly positive. These tires just command a premium price.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
rtaylor0830

The dealer has agreed to put Samson g rated tires has anyone dealt with these tires
rtaylor0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Last year a couple of us bought Carlisle tires to replace "near fatal" TowMax tires. We did quite a bit of research about the differences in the two brands (Carlisle and TM) which are manufactured in the same province in China. Our initial thoughts were that they must be "sister tires" since they're manufactured in the "same place"... Well, through reading, comparing and "believing some of the data we found", we came to these conclusions:

1. Yes, Carlisle and Tow Max are both manufactured in the same province in China.
2. The Tow Max is "contracted" to a tire manufacturer in the province, but there is little or no "company oversight" at the facility.
3. Carlisle does not "contract" its tires, rather they "built a plant and manufacture their tires themselves". Carlisle owns the plant, they oversee quality control, shipping and the manufacturing process.
4. There is very little "in common" between the TowMax and Carlisle tires that are manufactured in Guangdong Province, China.

I suppose you could compare it to going to a shopping center and having a choice of going to Neiman Marcus or Big Lots. They may both have towels, but if you really want "quality"........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #14
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
if i was doing some tire trading it wouldn't be for gy marathons. Maybe the new endurance. But most likely carlisle or maxxis.
But before all that, i would get my head around what cwtheman is saying. I think it would stay on the dealers lot until decent wheels and higher rated tires (g?) were on it.
^^^that!^^^
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #15
BlueknightWI

So, my 2015 Impact 311 came with Arisun tires. We haven't traveled a lot of far distances, but so far they look great. Are these some of the "China Bombs"? I'm watching this thread as we are heading out west this summer and heat will be an issue for these tires.
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueknightWI View Post
So, my 2015 Impact 311 came with Arisun tires. We haven't traveled a lot of far distances, but so far they look great. Are these some of the "China Bombs"? I'm watching this thread as we are heading out west this summer and heat will be an issue for these tires.
To get some relief from these junk tires put on these new rigs and before you replace them, get yourself a TPMS. There is a mimi thread open now that I suggest you read, which will lead you to more ino pertaining to older posts over the years. If you are planning a long trip and you are concerned the original tires, I highly suggest you pick up one of these systems.

As far as China Bomb Tires again plenty of info on forum about these and outcomes. Members leaving RV dealer with new rig driving down OR across the road to nearest tire shop and making a donation of the original tires, some put 400 miles on them driving home then donate.

Look into a TPMS, I would not go out of driveway without them and a phone app to find nearest tire center
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
kksfish

Has anyone had any experience with Hercules tires? My dealer happened to mention them when checking on the availability of the GY tires
kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #18
CaptnJohn

On my second set of Carlisle, next set will be Carlisle before a new 5er goes more than 50 miles to the tire shop. May find this interesting.
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...rying-capacity

The new HD tires are even better....

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #19
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
On my second set of Carlisle, next set will be Carlisle before a new 5er goes more than 50 miles to the tire shop. May find this interesting.
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...rying-capacity

The new HD tires are even better....
Good info. Thanks

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 03-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #20
Javi

Very happy with my Carlisle...

Tags
tires