Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2016, 02:42 AM   #1
Tbos

Stopping being a full timer?

I retire in a few years. We hope to full time it but are concerned about what to do when we need to call it quits. Should we keep a house somewhere to call home base or just find something when we are done? What does everyone on here plan to do? Thanks.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
GaryWT

Our plan is a little different but when I can no long tow and set up, we plan on being seasonal. We will pick a great campground and just park it there.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

We don't full time and probably never will. I wanted to but that is a non starter for my wife. If we did however, we would never get rid of our house. It's paid for and ownership of it makes us both feel much more comfortable as far as it lasting until we kick the bucket vs a travel trailer. Plus, you own your own property, do as you wish, it's got a steel roof that won't crack/split/leak over time, no seals, tires, suspension etc. that can quit at anytime. The list of pros is almost endless, the cons are that you can't take your home with you wherever you want to go.....but then, that's what hotels and condos are for; with no blowouts, leaks etc
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We don't full time and probably never will. I wanted to but that is a non starter for my wife. If we did however, we would never get rid of our house. It's paid for and ownership of it makes us both feel much more comfortable as far as it lasting until we kick the bucket vs a travel trailer. Plus, you own your own property, do as you wish, it's got a steel roof that won't crack/split/leak over time, no seals, tires, suspension etc. that can quit at anytime. The list of pros is almost endless, the cons are that you can't take your home with you wherever you want to go.....but then, that's what hotels and condos are for; with no blowouts, leaks etc

Very good inputs. I admit my DW is more set on having roots we can call home somewhere near the Gkids.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Our plan is a little different but when I can no long tow and set up, we plan on being seasonal. We will pick a great campground and just park it there.

Thanks. I'm not sure the DW will go for that but it's worth discussing.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Tom -
You didn't say how far you are from retirement other than to say "a few years". As others here have found out, plans can quickly change due to a variety of reasons. If I were in your situation, I would have "Plan A" and "Plan B". I realize it's difficult to look into the future but I wouldn't set your goals in stone. It's great to be focused and have a goal but a lot of things can change between now and your eventual retirement and during retirement so keep that in mind and be prepared to be flexible.

It also makes it a lot easier if both you and your wife are both on the same page about full-timing. Once you commit yourselves - sell the house, etc., - it's a lot tougher to reverse course.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
hankaye

Tbos, Howdy;

I'm letting my brothers fight it out, whichever one wants to come out here
and claim it will be the next owner.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
Tbos

Fetus, As of today I have 3 years and 10 months to retirement. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #9
WaitingToRetire

Nice question Tbos.

I always just assumed we would sell our house when we no longer "need" it for living purposes. Then one day I was having a casual conversation with a financial planner friend and he asked why we weren't planning on keeping the house and rent it out. I told him I didn't want to deal with tenants, and he said there are companies that you pay $100-200/month and they will perform ALL Landlord duties (first I'd heard of that). I then told him I didn't want to come back to a ruined house because "tenants" ruined it. He then said "why do you care? You earlier told me you weren't coming back here anyway. If you rent it out for $1200-1500 a month for 10 or 15 or 20 years, and then sell it, you're financially ahead of the game. Hire a reputable Landlord company, and they won't let the house be ruined."

There's some holes in his argument, and I ain't saying he changed my mind, but it certainly gives one something to think about. To me, even with the Landlord company thing, I have to think there is still going to be a level of responsibility and inconvenience I really don't want to deal with when I'm full-timing. But that thought of an extra $1000/month certainly is enticing, eh?

Besides purely financial, I suppose you have to factor in a bunch of social things.

1) How deep are your roots "here"? We've lived "here" for almost 20 years now, but we weren't born or raised here; we have no relatives (other than 2 kids) here. My relatives "back home" I could do without. We could just as easily and comfortably call "home" somewhere else. Wouldn't bother me none.

2) Is your state one you'd want to return to? Mine was a good place to raise a family at one time, but is getting less so all the time. It's not very Education-friendly lately. Infrastructure is crumbling and no one wants to pay for upgrades; apparently roadways and plumbing just fix themselves if left alone long enough. I do have a great job, and the cost of living is pretty cheap, though (but why will that matter when I'm full-timing). Add in future environmental and populations challenges/outlook, and overall the future isn't bright in this state.

3) How tied to your place are your kids? I'm raising my kids to not be encumbered by family, and so to look elsewhere when they get old enough to decide where they want to live/work/family. In my dreams they go off to make their own life, not be locked into a life dictated by happenstance of geography. If they do, that'd be one less reason for us to want to return here. I suppose if one was raised to value family above all else, that will be hard to leave behind.

4) How strong is your community "here"? We've made some great friends, and would seriously miss them. So that's one reason to return.

I suppose I look at full-timing and the after-full-timing periods as opportunities for fresh starts. Just gauging by their personalities so far, I expect one of my kids to be independent and want more, and one to stick around here. So that doesn't really help make our decision, LoL. Maybe your factors make yours easier?

Chad
Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
theeyres

We knew when we hit the road we were never going back. Both my wife and I were sick of the snow and I never wanted to shovel another load, had lost good friends to either death or moves, and both our boys had moved. So it was a no brainer to put the house up for sale. While we were on the road we kept an eye out for where we might want to eventually settle, fell in love with the desert and Tucson area, and then bought a small house in a retirement community when we got off the road.

So it all just depends on your situation. We also had no desire to take care of a house in OR and didn't want to have to go back there to do things when we were out East or South.

As an aside, we sold the fifth wheel and bought a smaller trailer so still travel, but not full time. We're taking two months right now to escape the heat. We belong to an RV club that goes out several times every winter. So we are still enjoying RVing.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
Tbos

More great inputs. Thanks. I'm skeptical about keeping the house and renting it out. I don't like knowing a tenant can skip out on you or not pay and then I'm stuck making the mortgage payment. The house has another 15 years before it's paid in full. We do have roots here with 2 kids and most of the G-kids here. Taxes are high, weather in the winter is unpredictable. Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 04:53 AM   #12
bsmith0404

A couple thought s for you. First, we've rented our house before and don't know if we would ever go through that again. We weren't going to rent our house, but had a friend who rents out several homes. We were afraid of damage, but he reasoned with us that at $1,200 per month plus a $1,200 security deposit you have over $15k in rent for the first year, you can do a lot of repairs for $15k, plus pay part of your mortgage. It made sense to us so we did it. The first renters we had stayed 2 years and probably took better care of the house than we did. The 2nd tenants also stayed 2 years and did over $10k in damage to the house. From a business standpoint, it was a successful adventure. We collected $57,600 in rent, $1,200 in security deposits that we retained, and an additional $8,000 in fees after taking them to court. So $66,800 collected in exchange for $10,000 in damages over 4 years. The problem we had was the fact that we looked at the house as our home that we planned to move back to after we retired from the Air Force. My wife was crushed when she saw "her" house. The emotional side of it wasn't worth it. If you can look at it as a business and not personalize it, renting a home can add a nice bit of spending cash to your pocket, but be prepared for what can happen.

As for our plans, once the kids are gone, we will probably sell this house when we start full timing. It's too large with 5 bedrooms and too much maintenance with a pool and all. We like the idea of having a stick home that we can come back too. We also have a double wide mobile home that my parents use when they snowbird down here from WI. We plan to set that up on a nice piece of land with a good garage for the RV set up specifically for taking care of it. We can come back to that a couple months out of the year, put the RV in the garage, take care of some routine maintenance in a nice environment. How much time we actually spend at the house each year will vary, we'll just play it by ear. Probably be there for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Good weather in NM during that time of the year and a good place to spend holidays with friends and family.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
Ken / Claudia

I had a aunt/uncle who when retired wanted to full time but, come back to Oregon because of grandkids and other family. They sold their stick built home. Purchased a manufactured home in a over 55 years old community in Oregon. Rented that out. Traveled about 10 years, going thru 3 motorhomes and with some more age and health issue's came back and moved into the MH. On the rental they had their children take care of rent, inspections and maintenance. By the way renting a home can go from good to bad real fast. I have had 2 rentals. Advice if you do that, pay a family member or trusted friend to take care of collecting rent and watch out over the place. Rent only to those who pass a background check and have past great rental history.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Retirement, how to retire and why to retire are tremendously personal decisions.

Factoring in trying to rent a property was a non starter for us. I am a very meticulous person along with being the type that worries. I have no trust in the fact that someone would take care of something the way I would; and I wouldn't be happy if they didn't, so, instead of worrying all the time, ruining my fun retirement, or harassing a renter, I just visit the houses from time to time.

Your financial position dictates what you can or can't do in retirement. Virtually all financial advisors/planners say that having your home paid for prior to retirement is one of the most critical components of a successful retirement. For us, we started that planning many years prior to retirement. After the age of 45 I was offered many offers for promotions or new job opportunities. Having already moved 7 times I knew that finding a home would be difficult and I would probably build a new house (again). Doing that, whether I intended to or not, would mean that I would again be in debt for hundreds of thousands and put my mortgage out many years. I didn't take any of the offers and was eventually offered a huge promotion and they let me stay put.

Having watched many folks wait until 65 to retire and then promptly die we had determined we would not do that and would retire at 62. Due to some unexpected corporate activities an opportunity that would allow me to retire at 55 came along and it was impossible to pass up - so we did 10 years ago.

I've also watched individuals age and I've seen the kinds of issues that happen to "old folks". There's not a question about IF your health will decline; it's how much? How bad will it get before I kick the bucket?

With those thoughts in mind it was obvious to us that we could not "full time" and relinquish a home. The chances that I leave this earth much sooner than my wife is great. She does not, and cannot, perform all the maintenance that an RV requires. The security it offers in a severe storm can't compare to a solid brick structure. So, we keep it and will sell the other houses as we don't need/want them any longer.

As I said, when/how/why to retire is an extremely personal decision dependent on many, many factors. I have shared some of the thoughts and things we did. There were many more considerations over the years but hope some of this helps as you try to figure out your plan.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:40 AM   #15
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Retirement, how to retire and why to retire are tremendously personal decisions.

Factoring in trying to rent a property was a non starter for us. I am a very meticulous person along with being the type that worries. I have no trust in the fact that someone would take care of something the way I would; and I wouldn't be happy if they didn't, so, instead of worrying all the time, ruining my fun retirement, or harassing a renter, I just visit the houses from time to time.

Your financial position dictates what you can or can't do in retirement. Virtually all financial advisors/planners say that having your home paid for prior to retirement is one of the most critical components of a successful retirement. For us, we started that planning many years prior to retirement. After the age of 45 I was offered many offers for promotions or new job opportunities. Having already moved 7 times I knew that finding a home would be difficult and I would probably build a new house (again). Doing that, whether I intended to or not, would mean that I would again be in debt for hundreds of thousands and put my mortgage out many years. I didn't take any of the offers and was eventually offered a huge promotion and they let me stay put.

Having watched many folks wait until 65 to retire and then promptly die we had determined we would not do that and would retire at 62. Due to some unexpected corporate activities an opportunity that would allow me to retire at 55 came along and it was impossible to pass up - so we did 10 years ago.

I've also watched individuals age and I've seen the kinds of issues that happen to "old folks". There's not a question about IF your health will decline; it's how much? How bad will it get before I kick the bucket?

With those thoughts in mind it was obvious to us that we could not "full time" and relinquish a home. The chances that I leave this earth much sooner than my wife is great. She does not, and cannot, perform all the maintenance that an RV requires. The security it offers in a severe storm can't compare to a solid brick structure. So, we keep it and will sell the other houses as we don't need/want them any longer.

As I said, when/how/why to retire is an extremely personal decision dependent on many, many factors. I have shared some of the thoughts and things we did. There were many more considerations over the years but hope some of this helps as you try to figure out your plan.

Thanks. Very wise advice. Still in planning stages. That's why we are asking the questions now. It would be an easier decision if MD taxes were reasonable for a retiree.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Thanks. Very wise advice. Still in planning stages. That's why we are asking the questions now. It would be an easier decision if MD taxes were reasonable for a retiree.
Good time to sell and move....one of the reasons we settled on NM is the cost of living. Property taxes are very reasonable and help the retirement check go a lot further. Of course, 25 years in the military, moving around and not living near family makes that a much easier decision, we're used to it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Good time to sell and move....one of the reasons we settled on NM is the cost of living. Property taxes are very reasonable and help the retirement check go a lot further. Of course, 25 years in the military, moving around and not living near family makes that a much easier decision, we're used to it.

I have to agree with bsmith0404.

When I was transferred from NM to TX everyone said what a break I was getting because TX didn't have a state income tax vs NM which did. I was gungho about that. Well, tain't so.

After buying our house in TX I found that between property taxes and insurance costs my monthly expenditures for those items was just about DOUBLE in TX vs NM for those same items AND the state income tax. So, if you live in a state with on onerous tax burden your retirement plans might include moving somewhere less expensive. Although.....I always said when I retired I would be selling the house and buying another in a place that was pretty, had lakes/streams and good fishing. Well, 10 years later I'm still in WTX in the middle of farm land, blowing sand and windstorms...DW does not want to go anywhere. The high side is that we are in the middle of a fishing mecca; within 5-6 hours I can find a stream or lake in any direction
Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #18
Tbos

My Dad full timed for about 15 years. When he decided to call it quits he had to find a place. He settled in Gunbarrel TX. He fussed about his property taxes for a few years but now he doesn't at all. With his age I guess it's fixed now at a whopping $17. It is definitely going to be a challenge finding a good compromise between taxes, medical care availability and relative closeness to kids & G-kids. All our family is in VA, NC, & MD. The search continues. Keep the ideas coming.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
My Dad full timed for about 15 years. When he decided to call it quits he had to find a place. He settled in Gunbarrel TX. He fussed about his property taxes for a few years but now he doesn't at all. With his age I guess it's fixed now at a whopping $17. It is definitely going to be a challenge finding a good compromise between taxes, medical care availability and relative closeness to kids & G-kids. All our family is in VA, NC, & MD. The search continues. Keep the ideas coming.

Just left Santee, SC this morning. Beautiful place, super lakes and fishing and close to the NC/VA folks. One thing I've really noticed is how small states are compared to TX. Seems like I hit one and then I'm in another.

What we noticed, and loved, is the difference in the "weather". Here in the FL panhandle it is terribly humid, so hot feeling etc. At the same temp in Santee it was cool, not humid and very enjoyable. Looks like the economy is down there right now so we will probably look at picking up a piece of property. It might be something that would work for you when it's time.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:45 AM   #20
Tbos

Sourdough, I had not really considered SC. I need to look into that. You are right about the size of the states in the east. It gets really crazy in New England.