Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
CFDfireman90

Awning not working

I have a 2014 Bullet 230BHS. We are heading in to our second season with it. While preparing it it for a trip next week tried to put the awning out, and nothing, not a sound or movement. Where should I start looking for a problem? Any and all suggestions welcome.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
silverbullet18

Check your fuses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
silverbullet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

And check battery to make sure it is still good and battery switch if you have one. Next check switch on panel(wires connected into it) and as stated fuse.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
therink

If that doesn't work, remove switches from wall and check terminals with a voltage meter. Wh n mine was new my awning solid state relay was bad. Mine hangs in bees nest of wires in the wall cavity behind the awning switch/control center panel. I was able to confirm it was bad using meter. Dealer replaced it under warranty. I was able to manually bypass the relay with jumper wires to operate awning while waiting for part.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
CFDfireman90

Update

First of all, thank you to all that replied. All fuses in the converter panel were fine. Was not able to find any fuse specifically labeled for the awning either. Battery is fine and no master switch. Pulled the switch panel off the wall and checked the wiring all was good there as well, had power and the relay clicked. Moved to the outside, found a rubber plug on one end of the awning up where the motor is. Found the nut on the motor to manually extend and retract the awning. Put a socket on there and gave it a few turns in the direction to extend the awning. Just for giggles, went in and tried the switch again and it worked. Extended and retracted it a few times, seems to be struggling when it retracts though, but is working.

Is there any maintenance that should be done on the awning?
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
therink

It is possible you jjust havea weak motor, but one thing to check is that the awning fabric is aligned (for and aft) properly in the camper side wall track. If not, can cause the fabric to roll up evenly which could cause the arms to bind enough to strain the motor. The awning fabric can be adjusted by loosening fore and aft set screws on track and sliding fabric to proper adjustment. I have had to do this.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
JNKS2010

I had the exact same problem.....

I just returned from our first outing this year. this past friday it rained here in Massachusetts, we had the awning tilted out so the rain would drain off, saturday morning the sun was out and it warmed up nicely, we retracted the awning so the ground would get some sun and dry up. the awning has worked since. checked all the fuses, turned the main power off then on again and nothing. I dont know what I am looking for if I pull the control panel off but I will do the manual override and see if that works. I'll keep in touch and follow this feed. thanks...... JNKS2010

2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain 5.3L V8 4x4
2015 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
JNKS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote