Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #21
Cyncwby

Well you guys do what you want, I won't rely on a computer that may go belly up and you fry your engine. I'll still run a mechanical pyro gauge.
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyncwby View Post
Well you guys do what you want, I won't rely on a computer that may go belly up and you fry your engine. I'll still run a mechanical pyro gauge.
What is it that you think manages motors these days? (I'm kidding, of course)

No reason not to get a pyro gauge, but I completely trust mine as long as I'm within limits on towing... 800 ft/lbs is enough. 900 ft/lbs on the new ones...

Running a tuner, I'd also want an eyeball on stuff. New Rams have lots of configurable gauges... Just no EGT.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #23
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyncwby View Post

If the computer goes belly up you will be parked on the side of the road. With the computer and torque management on these engines any idiot can drive them and not hurt them. Look at all the Freightliner Cascadia day cabs running around. Just basic gauges. No EGT, Trans temp or rear end temp, etc... They aren't blowing up running Donner pass everyday with the go pedal pushed all the way to the floor. On a truck left in stock configuration, the days of having to monitor an EGT gauge are gone. Save your money for some other cool accessory for your truck.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #24
Ram189

I have never understood everyone want to tune and modify anything built after 2011 or 12.

Vehicles now are built and engineered for very specific purposes. If you buy the right vehicle/setup for what you are towing you won't ever need to touch it.

As a Dodger service dealer I cannot tell you how many trucks we had come in that the turbos or injectors were fried on and burnt the motors up.
First thing FCA has you do is pull the computer data and see if the calibration on the engine has been changed. Yes all that earmarked when changed and changed back. Every claim that had been changed immediately got declined. Usually 3 or 4 a year.

If you argued the point they would send out a Field Service Engineer to explain to you exactly how they found out you had a tuner and had modified the vehicle.

Trucks are not race cars there is no need to modify a correctly built vehicle now a days.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #25
T3/T4 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
How did you get a 2500 CTD with the 3.73? The factory will not produce anything anything other than 3.42 in a SRW CTD truck, including 3500's. So did you do aftermarket? And what the heck is the camper package? I've seen that term used about, but have never seen it when building a truck. Is it the 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Towing Prep?
Well I need to change out my sig and better read the build sheet. It comes with 3.73 normally but with the cummins option that gearing is changed out to 3.42. But so far the only thing I have added to this truck was a set of stock Ram mud guards. The camper package is the Gooseneck / 5th Wheel towing prep sorry for calling it just a camper package. But its well worth the extra dollars if you are later thinking about up grading to a 5th wheel like I prob will. The link below shows what it looks like.

http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel.htm
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #26
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3/T4 Hybrid View Post
Well I need to change out my sig and better read the build sheet. It comes with 3.73 normally but with the cummins option that gearing is changed out to 3.42. But so far the only thing I have added to this truck was a set of stock Ram mud guards. The camper package is the Gooseneck / 5th Wheel towing prep sorry for calling it just a camper package. But its well worth the extra dollars if you are later thinking about up grading to a 5th wheel like I prob will. The link below shows what it looks like.

http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel.htm
Hey we all learn new things everyday, they do make that confusing. I have a 14 2500 CTD, didn't find one with the Gooseneck towing prep, and all other options i was looking for. I settled on one without the tow prep and instead installed a B&W turnover and run the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum at 32 LB's it is a good setup for myself, having broke my back and being fused from S1-L2,easy in and out. The 3.42's do just fine for what i have done so far. Over 15K with the CTL, Trailer, and Mower. Truck thinks the little 11'000 5er is a piece of cake.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote