Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
travelingnurse

2nd A/C and satellite questions

Yesterday I bought a 2012 323RL.....

I do have a couple of questions that I will ask quickly and may ask in more depth in another section. But for kicks.....

Looking to put an A/C unit in the bedroom. Suggestions??

Satellite TV? If you have 2 cables coming out of the dish and only one say/cab input there in the box with all the tank valve controls how do you do this?
How do you get the two cables into the satelite box inside?
I may be looking at this wrong because I have a spare dish and receiver at home I was going to use.
travelingnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
theeyres

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will get some answers to your questions--they are pretty much beyond me. The only thing I know is that if you have 30 amp service you probably won't be able to run both a/c's if you install the second one. Have you used the trailer enough to know you really need it? You may find one is just fine and actually provides better sleeping because it will be much quieter (being it's in the living area and not the bedroom).

I also know that on my former fiver I had two inputs from the satellite and the tech that set it up just tied to the two together at the satellite and ran one cable into the trailer. It worked fine...

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Again welcome to the forum. As far as 2nd A/C unit on the bedroom, you will need to check for any factory "pre wiring". If there is any you should see a junction box in the ceiling near the vent or a stick on label telling you it's in the ceiling by the vent.

I can't say that 30amp service WON'T run two A/C units, but I wouldn't do it. You may be able to run a second set of wires to an outside junction box and plug it into a separate shore power source. Its. Not that hard to run romex in the rafter and locate a space to bring it down to a compartment. Then a simple receptacle rated for the unit and an extension cord of equal rating and you should be good.

As for the satellite, each TV will require its own dedicated receiver to watch separate channels so you have a couple of options. First, just add a coax splitter at some point past the "Sat in" and route it to the second location. This way both receivers can use the one dish, only draw back is both might have to use the same satellite and watch the same set of channels. Other option is to just add another "sat in" connection in the bay and again run coax to the second location. I have done both ways for customers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
travelingnurse

I have not stayed a night in it yet, I take delivery on Wednesday. We had the dealer plug it up and turned the A/C on. After an hour it was cooler inside than outside but not what I would say comfy. Although there were 2 other couples looking at it at the safe time. So the door was open and shut a lot. I'm going to give it a good test run before I do anything.

The living room was ok comfy but the bedroom was rather warm. A good fan may help circulate the air better.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

It can take quite a while for the A/C in an RV to overcome a heat soaked ceiling/roof that's had the sun beating on it. All the duct work will absorb the cold air until it's cool enough. I start my A/C in my trailer long before I really need it.

Friday I started working on a 30' class A with 2 A/C units. Ambient temp was 90+ degrees, and even with both on "Max" it took over an hour for me to feel comfortable. You may very well need a second unit in some areas of the country, or if the current unit is rated at13,500 BTU's maybe an upgrade to 15,000 BTU's may be enough to take the edge off. 30 amps will run a single 15K unit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Additional suggestions - make sure the filters are clean. The ACs move a lot of air and filters are small. On bigger units with one AC, you may want to prioritize where the cooling goes. That is, close off the bathroom vents and remove the covers in the living area. It'll likely take a while to cool a hot trailer, especially if it's in the sun. Consider reducing flow to the bedroom via the vent covers during the day if you're not in there.

See how it works out before adding a 2nd.

In terms of performance, it's working "right" if the intake temp and the air temp at the outlets has a 20-25 degree difference.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
travelingnurse

Thanks for the input, I'm going to give it a good test run befor I do anything drastic. I completely understand the amount of cooling it takes before things start cooling. I know the physics that you don't cool the air you remove the heat from it. It is prewired for a second A/C and I can run 50amp service.

On the satelite issue I can play with the inside parts no biggie. What puzzles me is I have (2) rg6 cables coming off the LNB of the dish but only (1) coax input outside the RV. Then the satelite receiver has (2) sat inputs for each of the cables coming out of the LNB. How do you go from 2 cables to 1 cable back to 2 cables. It appears that the RV is maybe wired for cable only not satelite.

I may have to just play with it and and see.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
PerryB

The dish has a dual output LNB designed to run 2 receivers. Just use either one. Feed it into the cable input jack. If you trailer is like mine you'll have 3 coax bibs at the living room tv. The bottom one feeds the "in from sat." on the receiver. The "out to tv" on the receiver goes to the middle bib, which feeds the signal to the house. The top bib connects to the back of the tv. This assumes you are running one receiver and all tvs watch the same channel. I think you are stuck with this unless you want to run a seperate coax to the bedroom tv.
EDIT: I just looked at my home installation (Dish network w/HD) and I have one cable coming out of the wall and then it splits to the two input jacks on the receiver. The splitter is called a "seperator" and there is no differentiation between the cables such as a/b or 1/2. I think this may be specific to the HD service but not sure.

Do you have round louvered outlets on your a/c? I could hear mine "whoosh" due to the restriction. I took them off and the airflow nearly doubled and a/c performance improved considerably. Looks a little okie but it works.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

I also found this diagram, which might help:
https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpr...single_rg6.pdf

You'd just need the solo node for 2 NLB.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:50 PM   #10
travelingnurse

Again thanks for the input. I take deliver Wednesday and when I get home I will play with it and see. It's fine if I see the same thing on every TV as I travel alone.
When I get home I'm going to setup my spare unit in the driveway with a spate TV and make sure I have signal/picture. Once I know I'm all working I'll connect to RV and see what works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	8708