Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #1
W5WI

12v Converter on Cougar 326MKS

Yesterday our Converter went out. Symptoms were the refrigerator control lights started blinking and went out, the interior lights dimmed and the A/C wouldn't work. I checked the battery and it was almost completely discharged. All the 120v outlets, TV, Microwave, etc. were working notmslly.

An exhaustive search of the internet had little to no information related to troubleshooting a Converter or determining its location. In fact, I was amazed at the almost total lack of information on RV wiring diagrams or troubleshooting or repair of electrical circuits.

Anyway, back on topic. I started my search for the Converter at the fuse and circuit breaker panel box. Since it was conveniently mounted and there was a lot of space behind it, I assumed incorrectly that the Converter was mounted in back of the panel. No luck there!

After exhausting my search inside the RV I started looking in the basement. I decided to remove the panel that goes from side to side and covers the water pump and furnace. Eureka! There it was. It was connected to the 120v electrical system by an electrical plug into a duplex outlet. I copied the model number and called a local RV parts supplier. Since they didn't have a Converter in stock I called Camping World. They had three in stock and with my Good Sam membership I could buy one for $199 After a 100 mile round trip drive to Nashville, TN, I purchased the converter and installed it. The installation took a whopping 15 minutes and I was back in business. An FYI is that I was told by the repairmen at Camping World that Converters failed frequently. One of the most common causes of failure is folks letting their batteries go dry! So, word to the wise, check and refill your batteries monthly!

Caution! Since the Converter is connected to the 120v system via a plug there is no need to disconnect shore power. However, you MUST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY to prevent possible electrical shock and to ensure you do not accidently short the new Converter out by crossing the wires.

Cheers and Happy Trails

Dale
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Letting your batteries go dry kills the batteries and, apparently, the converter. So that can lead to $199 for a converter and $200 for batteries. That's why I keep a battery tender on mine. Before I had indoor storage with power I pulled the batteries anytime the camper was going to sit for more than a month.

BTW, any search for a hidden item in an RV can usually end in success by pulling the walls in the storage area. There is a reason they are installed with screws instead of nails or glue.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote