Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Patrick Smith

Mice entry point 2010 Cougar QB31

So I have been doing battle with mice for some time. Lately I have been focusing on entry points that allow mice to get into the under belly of the trailer. I noticed that there were the following entry points: two holes in the frame in front of rear bumper that were on the actual frame and looked like they went into the underbelly. I foamed up these holes. Then under the large slide out was a pipe looking item...I think it houses the drive train of slide out but not sure....but when slide out is out there is enough room around the pipe or drive train hole in the frame for the mice to enter the underbelly. Also under the large slide out, the two metal tracks go through the frame and there are tiny spaces at the frame holes that might allow a mice to penetrate the underbelly.
Once in the underbelly they come up under the bath tub where there is a large cutout for the trap that was never sealed...great huh? Also there are other holes where pipe or wires come up from the underbelly. I have closed up these entry points to the best of my ability. The one under the tub I haven't been able to close up completely because of lack of working space and access in spite of enlarging the access panel wall of the bath tub.
So I hope somebody else can confirm the openings in the frame as entry points and what techniques they used to seal them up. So if we could discuss the entry points it might be beneficial. I have researched the various other techniques for discouraging mice penetration.
Patrick Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

As you have already discovered, there are numerous openings found in and around the underbelly where mice can and do get in. All they need is an opening large enough for them to gain entry. Other "points of entry" include the area around the propane tanks and landing jacks - if you have a 5th wheel.

Some of these areas are fairly accessible and you can seal them the best you can. Folks have used canned foam in combination with steel or bronze wool (which doesn't rust). This combination can be used for both interior and exterior openings.

I don't think it is possible to completely seal every gap or opening - just do the best you can.

As far as other techniques for "discouraging mice penetration" are concerned, there are plenty of threads and posts already here on the forum that outline in great detail what these strategies are. I'd recommend you do a forum search (try typing in "mice" or something similar and see what you get) and read up on what others have already posted.

I got 4 pages with 99 posts by searching "mice". A good read.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Patrick Smith

Festus: do you know what that black pipe looking item under large slide out is called...? Just curious. I taped up the opening for the summer and the other two rail openings that go through the frame to underbelly. The electric hook up cord is another possible entry point.
Patrick Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Smith View Post
Festus: do you know what that black pipe looking item under large slide out is called...? Just curious. I taped up the opening for the summer and the other two rail openings that go through the frame to underbelly. The electric hook up cord is another possible entry point.
Is this black pipe ABS/plastic or metal? Does it run parallel to the RV or at 90 deg?? Just guessing here .....If metal, it could be part of the hydraulic slide mechanism if you have that type of slide. It could also be part of your plumbing system --- gray tank drain pipe?

Sounds like you have what is known as the "mouse hole" electrical cord set up where the cord is stored inside and pulled out of the unit then plugged into shore power. Quite a few people, including myself, have modified this setup and installed a Marinco 30A (or 50A) shore power kit which eliminates the cord being pulled out and shoved back in and is plugged into the RV from an outside Marinco connection. I found that the cord was forever and mysteriously tying itself in knots and making camping far more complicated and frustrating that it should be. A mod I would recommend to anyone having one of these mouse holes.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
eddarde

I found that my entry point for mice through the under belly was through the heat duct that ran down there,
so I covered it up with wire mesh.
eddarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
jsmith948

One of those stainless steel kitchen scrubbers works great to plug the gap around your power cord until you decide to convert it as Festus2 said. Tried steel wool, but it will rust.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote