Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
{tpc}

(Slide)Dinette Storage Question

For those of you that store stuff in the dinette area, if it also happens to be that the dinette is part of the slide, have you noticed any issues with the slide at all?

The reason I am asking is that currently I don't store anything in the slide area. Part of that is because I really don't need to, the pass through area is quite enough actually. The other reason is because I recall reading (in the manual I think) that you should NOT use the dinette area while the slide was in.

So that's the basis for my question. If your not supposed to use it, which would mean sitting and/or whatever pressure you feet might apply to the floor area at that point, isn't the storage under the seats also in play for this?

I think we may have only sat in the dinette once with the slide in, just to see how it was. Frankly I can't see using it in that manner anyways. But I could see the storage to be a benefit, especially if I need to try to load the trailer differently in the future.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
GaryWT

We have drawers under our dinette benches and the weight of what you can put in the drawer compared to the weight of a person are two different things. We store pool towels in one side and games in the other, not too much weight.

Also agree as above, not to use the slide when it is closed as it is designed to use when open.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
{tpc}

Many apologies. I fixed my post. I meant to say should NOT use while the slide is in lol. DOH!

At any rate, that is what I was trying to figure out. How much or how heavy of items one could store in the dinette storage. I mean I could put quite a few things in there...folding chairs, a grill, towels, blankets, etc. (lol maybe not a grill) Individually these items don't weight much, but could add up.

So just wondering what one does or could put in there safely without damaging anything.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:24 AM   #4
Bowhunter

I agree with Gary. We have the drawers under ours as well. We have always used ours for beach towels and games. Not that much extra in weight, but has easy access when needed.

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 6LV8
Current TT: 2014 32BHPR Premier
2003-2014: 2004 298BHL Springdale
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
murphysranch

Little weight for the storage in the slide. Paper towels, TP, beach towels, a couple extra blankets, and its also where our recycling goes to take home with us.
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
koko

We put clothes in our drawers in the slide area. We keep it light - nothing like water bottles, iron skillets/Dutch ovens or anything like that.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #7
Tboudro

Dinette Storage

Use mine for light stuff also, also just ordered an outside door that I will install under center dinette area so that I can access from outside. Perfect spot for waterhose, filters, sewer connections, TV cable, gloves and chocks. As long as I keep it light I should not have a problem ans it will be so much easier to access that the pass thru on the front.
Tboudro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Shadowcats

We store all kinds of stuff on the slide side...not excessive, but we never give it a thought. They are made to support the weight of people 4-8 and that hardly ever happens. We've never had a problem with either slides. The kitchen slide has the stove, microwave, fridge, plus storage. I wouldn't worry about it unless you storing your weight set. Enjoy!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #9
jkohler70

I used mine without a worry. I actually do store my dutch oven, skillet, and griddle in mine. Total weight is about 30 pounds. Slide operates fine without dragging or other issues. I asked specifically about storage under the seats during my PDI. The tech told me as long as I don't store bricks in there, he's never seen one damaged from using it for storage.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
theeyres

If Keystone said it was OK to use the dinette when the slide was in, potentially at least four people could sit at it and at 150-200# each (or more!) that could be 600-800#. No way is anything you are going to put in the storage will equal that. So no worries. Use it as you like.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
B-O-B'03

We just got back from an 1800 mile, inaugural, trip in our new 22RBPR and I packed 5 of the 2.5 gallon water jugs on the floor of the center section of the dinette.

There did not seem to be any ill effects from it, the floor seems to be quite solid.

Although, if the way Keystone builds their shelves is any indication, I might have to rethink this

The shelf, in the outdoor kitchen, for the refrigerator started coming apart, before we got to our first destination as did the shelf in the bath, next to the vanity.

The front edges of the shelves are not structural, they are just nailed to the shelving boards and any weight bouncing on the shelf caused them to flex and pull the staples out of the edge piece. The shelf itself is only supported on 3 sides... not very strong at all.

I put them back together with steel L brackets tying the side supports and front trim piece together... hopefully that will help.

-Brian