Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #21
frankenstang

I plan on keeping it for 10 years at this point. Long term plans for me and the wife have the 'snowbird' term in them. I have 15 years until the retirement party. There will be a 5er in those plans. Maybe part time job delivering campers. I dunno.

The kicker is that Magnusson supercharger sitting in boxes in the garage. It won't fit the new 6.0 engine. But if Magnusson will work with me in getting the lower section swapped over, I can make that thing fit the new truck and have all the power I need. No mountains around here. Mt. Rushmore is on the list for sure. But the worst climb we have is thru Kentucky and Tennessee on the way to S. Florida. Pretty sure the 6.0 can handle that no prob.
frankenstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #22
Harleyhop

I bought my first diesel in 1999 and haven't owned a gasser since!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #23
Jlwright

I am 63 and never owned a diesel until this year. I traded in my 2013 GMC 1500 gas truck for a 2105 GMC Duramax 6.6. I live in an area where we have a lot of hills. The 6 speed automatic was constantly shifting in the 1500 up and down the hills even without pulling the trailer. When I drove the new diesel home from the dealer I drove 80 miles and the truck never shifted out of 6th one time. The difference in torque is amazing. My average gas mileage with the 1500 was 16 mpg. My average with the diesel is 19. That is not pulling the trailer of course. I couldn't be happier and BTW, my fifth wheel will weigh right at 9000 lbs. loaded and I am pretty sure the gas truck transmission wasn't up to the task.
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #24
GMcKenzie

I'm like the OP in that I have a real short commute. I'm about 4 miles round trip.

My answer has been to park the diesel for the winter and pick up a piece of junk to get to work and back. Last year was a real crappy Taurus for $400, that I sold to the wreckers for $225. This year I picked up a 95 Blazer that hasn't cost me a nickel in maintenance so I'm keeping it for next couple of winters.

I also picked up a bicycle and plan to ride to work as soon as the weather gets nicer.

I will probably switch to gas with my next truck, but depends on how long I can keep the 15 yr old diesel going before it starts to cost money.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

When I bought my new 14 Ram 2500 I bought gas based on a number of things. As has been pointed out, the initial cost, depending on what you get, will be increased about 9000-9500. The increased mileage of a diesel vs a gas engine is smaller than ever. I don't keep trucks long so if I want something bigger I'll wait a couple of years and get it. So for me at this time a gas engine made sense, but, those aren't really the reasons I decided on the gas model.

Before purchasing I asked 3 neighbors, all diesel owner/drivers, plus my barber (owner/driver/5th wheel tower) about buying a diesel in my situation and the benefits thereof. To a man, they all said to get the gas truck for various reasons; didn't keep it long enough to pay for itself, didn't pull/tow enough (5k a year), increased cost of diesel (currently .80 - 1.30 in our part of the country) etc. 3 of the 4 talked of the increased costs of maintenance. John did a great job of comparing regular oil changes but they spoke of injector clogging/cleaning, uses more oil than a gas engine, DEF additions, etc. So in the end I went gas. I will say that my son, in the car business, advised me to get a diesel telling me of the increased used vehicle value. We went thru about 5 hypothetical gas/diesel used vehicles and by the book they averaged about 4k more than the gas counterpart.

I've driven both and DO like the torque of a diesel. The added costs didn't make sense for me at the time. I think all of the variables have to be weighed by any potential buyer and then figure out which ones are important; let that be your guide in getting whatever you need/want. I will say that any trailer over 10k should use a diesel; pulling in mountains very often requires a diesel; carrying heavy loads frequently would probably require a diesel. All to say that in reality the "gas vs diesel" question is not cut and dried to me. They each have their place and each have their pros and cons. It's like buying a new pair of boots; put them on and wear them. If they hurt your toes......buy another pair
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #26
x96mnn

Best advice, get what ever makes you happy.

No wrong choice in my opinion if it makes you happy. Gas or Desiel, the debate will rage on, my experiance the Diesel is cheaper to own but diesel is the equilvent of 0.30 cents cheaper a gallon here. Overall I think cost are a wash when I compare my diesel to my 5.7 hemi.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:13 AM   #27
notanlines

It is good to give credit where credit is due. Kudos to you, John, for your homework. Also I believe it was that now famous Texan Javi who once said
"Go ahead with the gasser and you can just make a noise like a diesel."
Bite the bullet, man. Buy the diesel. You'll only be happy if you do......
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #28
frankenstang

How about if I just run the exhaust in a 5 inch stack thru the bed? At least I can PRETEND to be a diesel? Found a D-max in Flint Mi for $51500. It's like an 8 hr drive. My local dealer isn't holding out hope for a trade. I'm so in love with that blue color. Otherwise, there are dozens of 2-3 yr old ones around me for 40k. Right now in my area, the price per gallon is the same for both.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:25 AM   #29
notanlines

I've just got to respond to that. We both laughed out loud at the stack comment. I have joked with Brenda since we got our new truck that I was going to have the stack installed and she has joked about me walking instead.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:01 AM   #30
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I've just got to respond to that. We both laughed out loud at the stack comment. I have joked with Brenda since we got our new truck that I was going to have the stack installed and she has joked about me walking instead.
The stack is not any good without the soot-line down the side of the trailer. If Brenda is anything like Lynn ..... be sure to have comfortable shoes before you make the mod.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #31
Sharkbait937

I've owned a GMC 6.0 then an 8.1 liter. Now I have a newer Ford diesel. The 6.0 was a dog towing anything over 20 ft. The 8.1 had good power but couldn't pass a gas station. The diesel has been awesome as a tow vehicle. Much better mileage, less stress on the vehicle and able to tow anything I put in it and behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sharkbait937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #32
arturob

Love my diesel

We are new to towing and looked for a tow vehicle last year ready to go south for the winter with a Cougar 322QBS. I had no previous experience with diesel other than my brother in law who had a horrendously noisy dodge 3/4 ton. My first thought was a gas truck mainly so we wouldnt scare the wildlife when we drove through the bush. My buddy Ron is in the landscaping business and has ad trucks for the last 30 years. He told me I had to get a diesel. I tired all the arguments - too noisy, too costly for fuel, repairs - nothing swayed him. I had to get a one ton diesel or I would regret it. Eventually he prevailed and we ended up getting a GMC 3500 with a 6.6L diesel. We have just returned from our winter trip to the US and I have to say Ron was right. The truck has been bulletproof. We have gone up 7% grades without exceeding 3000rpm. The truck pulls like a dream and a friends who was driving a gasser nearly didnt make it to one spot we camped in Arizona due to overheating on thee way up a hill. I get 13.5 to the gallon and diesel is about 30c more expensive. Oil changes are a pain since we use about 10 gal of oil and the fuel filter is $75, air filter $110. Against that is the reliability, the power and suprisingly a very quiet ride - I think the GMS is the quietest of the diesels I have come across. Bottom line - diesel is the choice for a big fiver.
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #33
Mattjtowne

I have the 312bh and a 08 Duramax. I will never buy another gasser. Maintance costs are about the same. Yes more oil but no spark plugs. I live 7 miles from work so the fuel mileage doesn't effect me. What does effect me is that knowing I barely feel the 312 back there.

A 6.0 with a manual is a beast of a truck but still no Duramax.

My 08 has 85k. I had one glow plug go out after warranty. I replaced all just not to worry about it. I just replaced belt and tensioner just so I know its not gonna be a issue. I run a huge auto shop so rotations and oil changes are done at 5k with Rotella. I am still on original brake pads and the are over 80% left.

Having the right truck makes it cheaper in the long run as you are not maxing out power and brakes so parts don't wear out.

I came real close to pulling dpf exhaust and running efi live for mileage increase. I couldn't bring myself to it because the truck runs so good.

I pull a large boat and car trailer also and the only trucks in my future are Duramax's.

I have no plans for a new truck but when its time it will be a dually. Just so if I got larger 5er and that's for stability...
Mattjtowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #34
frankenstang

Found a perfect truck. Deal in the works now for a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500. 6.0 gasser. SLE package with the all terrain upgrade. We took the new camper to Jellystone of Amboy, Illinois this weekend. Packed kinda light and forgot a bunch of stuff, like chairs! Old 1500 5.3 pulls the weight just fine. Hate to see it go. I'd feel a lot more secure with more rig , that's for sure.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #35
billandjan

Diesel.

Makes towing less effortless.
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #36
frankenstang

Got the truck 2 weeks ago. It's amazing. Talked to a couple local guys about their d-max's and local short trip issues. Me only having a 10 mile round trip to work would put that regen crap into play. I'd have to take a long drive every once and a while to get the truck to do it. No real long distance driving in the winter for me either.

The 6.0 will be fine for what I need. Although the programming in the trans sucks like the old truck before it was tuned. I'll live with it until the truck is broken in and get a tune done by a buddy.

Thanks for all the opinions guys.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #37
ls1mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstang View Post
Here's the D-max.... Same interior as the truck I have now, mine is a W/T can doesn't even have cruise control. It still would be a massive upgrade either way. Diesel fuel prices are down compared to last year, but 87 octane is down to $2.50/ gal here now.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...94056533&Log=0

Here's the GMC I'm looking at. It's so nice. And since the wife didn't want 'another' blue car, we got here the dark titanium color for her Fusion. I'd ge the blue truck either way.

http://www.sheboygangm.com/VehicleDe...-WI/2431249403

Here's why she didn't want a blue car...

This is where the rest of the disposable income went for the last 10 years.
Ha! I got something I waste, er um put money into as well.

The Grand Prix is my daily driver. Supercharged with tasteful mods 13.80s at 102 mph.
The Trans Am is heads and Cam with other stuff. 11.70's at 117 mph.
Stuff gets pricey!

2000 Trans Am WS6 11 seconds of 1/4 mile goodness.
The rest of the cars don't matter.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:14 AM   #38
Dave W

I love these gasser vs diesel discussions and have jumped in on a bunch of them. I've had V10's (6.8L) and now a 6.7L Ford diesel. Both pulled 12K just fine though the diesel does it easier. I'm not going to dig any deeper into the maintenance factors as they were well done above (you forgot or I missed that part where you add 5 gallons of DEF every ~5K miles @$25 at Walmart) and your costs are a bit high for Motorcraft oils and filters.

What it boils down to is 'Do you need a diesel or do you NEED (that is you realllllly want one) a diesel'. At 8500 pounds being towed, you sure don't need a diesel though you NEED one.

I have to say that I freeze my @#$% even with heated seats and a supplemental heat strip in the HVAC system every winter on short hauls vs any gasser that started to give heat in a mile or so.

Oh and while we are mentioning how we spend our other discretionary dollars - this is my money pit:
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:41 AM   #39
Jlwright

Thumbs up

Steel body or fiberglass? Beautiful car!!!!
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:23 AM   #40
ls1mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I love these gasser vs diesel discussions and have jumped in on a bunch of them. I've had V10's (6.8L) and now a 6.7L Ford diesel. Both pulled 12K just fine though the diesel does it easier. I'm not going to dig any deeper into the maintenance factors as they were well done above (you forgot or I missed that part where you add 5 gallons of DEF every ~5K miles @$25 at Walmart) and your costs are a bit high for Motorcraft oils and filters.

What it boils down to is 'Do you need a diesel or do you NEED (that is you realllllly want one) a diesel'. At 8500 pounds being towed, you sure don't need a diesel though you NEED one.

I have to say that I freeze my @#$% even with heated seats and a supplemental heat strip in the HVAC system every winter on short hauls vs any gasser that started to give heat in a mile or so.

Oh and while we are mentioning how we spend our other discretionary dollars - this is my money pit:
I like your statement want vs need. My 6.0 gasser tows my 7500 lbs trailer just fine all over the place. Up in the Rockies, all of the passes in Washington and my personal favorite Vantage. My truck is a 4th vehicle that rarely gets used, I couldn't justify the extra price of diesel so it could sit on the side of my house.

LOVE your car. Where are you at in Upstate New York? I grew up in Catskill.

2000 Trans Am WS6 11 seconds of 1/4 mile goodness.
The rest of the cars don't matter.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote