Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
bucketman

Wisconsin to So Florida in February

Looking for recommendations for overnight stays on our way to So. Florida, west coast. I think we are going to try to stay 2 nights on the way down. First night around Nashville and the second night in Northern Florida. Any recommendations?? Walmart, campgrounds or rest areas on the interstate? First time doing this and hope not the last. This will be in February. We will be leaving from So Wisconsin, not wanting to drive more than 10 hours a day.
So Wisconsin
bucketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Bowti

Wink

Not sure of the time line you have set for yourself, but this is what we do.

When we were younger we would drive straight through the fastest route without stopping to rest.

Now we take 4 days

Day one: I 90 south and hook up to 39 south then catch 74 south, first night motel south of Champaign (Friday Night).

Day two: I57 south, catch 24 and motel just a little south of Nashville at Manchester (Saturday night).

Day three: By way of I24 and I75 we clear Atlanta on Sunday , we stay at High falls SP south of Atlanta (first night of camping Sunday night)

Day four: I 75 to Stephen Foster SP in Florida (Monday night)

We avoid Chicago like the plague and will only do Atlanta on Sunday. Many will say it's no problem, but for us this time of year anything can happen weather wise, so we plan a easy enjoyable trip down and back.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
notanlines

This may be the best advice you get on this thread. Have Christmas Eve at your house, Christmas Day at one of the kid's houses. Get up early on the 26th, warm up the TV, turndown the heat and turn off the water, and look at Wisconsin in your rear-view mirror. Florida awaits......
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
bucketman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowti View Post

When we were younger we would drive straight through the fastest route without stopping to rest.

Now we take 4 days

Day one: I 90 south and hook up to 39 south then catch 74 south, first night motel south of Champaign (Friday Night).

Day two: I57 south, catch 24 and motel just a little south of Nashville at Manchester (Saturday night).

Day three: By way of I24 and I75 we clear Atlanta on Sunday , we stay at High falls SP south of Atlanta (first night of camping Sunday night)

We avoid Chicago like the plague and will only do Atlanta on Sunday. Many will say it's no problem, but for us this time of year anything can happen weather wise, so we plan a easy enjoyable trip down and back.
That is great advice, we live in So. WI so we are going to drive to Clarksville and motel it, get up early on Saturday and hopefully drive through Atlanta before noon on Saturday. Probably drive as far as we can and stay where ever Saturday night. Day three we hope to get to our destination in Arcadia FL. I like the idea of staying in a motel the first night as it would still be pretty cold in Tennessee. Pretty excited about it as this is our first real trip since retirement. whoppee
So Wisconsin
Old 12-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Tbristol

Arcadia?? What RV Park in Arcadia? We are at Craigs. Been here since November.
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:56 AM   #6
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowti View Post

Now we take 4 days

We are in Lake Geneva area, we do the same thing when heading south. Pulling through Chicago area is a good way to ruin the trip right from the beginning. Plus, it's cheaper to go over Rockford when it comes to the Illinois hostageway.......... er, I mean tollway
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #7
bucketman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbristol View Post
Arcadia?? What RV Park in Arcadia? We are at Craigs. Been here since November.
Riverside RV,,Friends that have stayed there say it is wonderful. How do you like Craigs? I will definitely check it out when there. Is that the real name of it?
So Wisconsin
Old 12-14-2014, 05:48 AM   #8
bucketman

Thinking about staying at Veterans Park in Cordele GA. on second night. Any comments on that.
So Wisconsin
Old 12-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Tbristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketman View Post
Riverside RV,,Friends that have stayed there say it is wonderful. How do you like Craigs? I will definitely check it out when there. Is that the real name of it?
Yes Craigs is the real name of it. We really like it here. Something going on all the time. Keeps us busy. Where exactly is Riverside? I don't believe I have ever seen it. By the way the weather is wonderful hurry up and get down here.
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #10
bucketman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbristol View Post
Yes Craigs is the real name of it. We really like it here. Something going on all the time. Keeps us busy. Where exactly is Riverside? I don't believe I have ever seen it. By the way the weather is wonderful hurry up and get down here.
Riverside is actually south of Arcadia, halfway to Punta Gorda on the Peace River.
I believe it is Hwy 769. We will check out Craigs when we get down there as it looks like the rates are a little more reasonable.
So Wisconsin
Old 12-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Pulln

Right on the Florida/Georgia line is http://www.jenningsoutdoorresort.com/rates.html. It isn't a destination kind of place. There is a gas station and that is about it but would suggest filling up in Valdosta, Georgia as their gas taxes are lower and have some BBQ and Brunswick stew at Smokin Pig while you are there.
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
wesaysoracing

1st night stay at Champaign, take I57 TO I55 and then to I69 to tunica spend the night at sams town rv park , then make your way over to 78 and head towards fla, this way might take you an extra day
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote