Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
theasphaltrv'er

Broke My PullRite SuperGlider

Well I managed to bend the locking mechanism on our 2700 PullRite superGlider on only our 2nd tow. Went thru all the pre-checks before backing under the King pin to latch, backed up got it latched, pulled the 5er the 75 miles home and went thru the check-list to unhitch, pulled handle to open the jaws, jaws seemed to open, raised 5er to just off the hitch and pulled forward and would not come out from underneath it. Jaws looked open, but wouldn't let it slide out, so I lowered it & then raised it back up, still would not come out. I pushed on the locking lever and the round ring clip and 2 flat washers & the locking lever fell to the floor ...BROKE. After checking the locking lever saw it was bent on one side. Now I could get the jaws open but could not keep it open so I had to hold it open so DW could pull the truck out from under the pin.
Has anybody else with the 2700 15K Pullrite SuperGlder had this problem. Good thing we were at home unhitching when this happened.

A call to PullRite tomorrow is in order. Also there is a service center for PullRite locally so will also be visiting them.

Milo
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
C130

I have not heard of this happening. I just lift mine (Superglide also) high enough up to support the fifth wheel with the jacks, I don't lift it up off the hitch. Someone else mentioned doing this (lifting up off hitch) also. This is my first 5th wheel so I am far from being an expert and always wonder if I'm lifting it high enough. I try and just let it slide off the hitch, same when I hitch up. I make it slide up the hitch a little to make sure it latches correctly and it's not too high. It's worked well for me the last year and a half.

The only problem I experience occasionally is the jaws won't release at all. This happens when I am backing up and the best way to explain it is if there's zero slack in between hitch and king pin (pulling against each other). Seems to usually happen backing down an incline. Happened at the campsite last week. I put a chock behind rear wheels and backed up slightly to take the pressure off and I was able to easily unlock the jaws.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
MarkS

Sorry you broke the hitch. I don't think you are supposed lift out of the hitch. I know you can't hitch if the trailer is too high. I think that too high binds the pin.

I lift until I see the plates start to separate then I lower it back down to bring the plates back together and bit more.

I also put a little oil on the plates before I hitch. That helps with unhitching.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote